1 Nephi 15:33-34

pam

Reference Search: 1 Nephi 15:33-34

33 Wherefore, if they should die in their wickedness they must be cast off also, as to the things which are spiritual, which are pertaining to righteousness; wherefore, they must be brought to stand before God, to be judged of their works; and if their works have been filthiness they must needs be filthy; and if they be filthy it must needs be that they cannot dwell in the kingdom of God; if so, the kingdom of God must be filthy also.

34 But behold, I say unto you, the kingdom of God is not filthy, and there cannot any unclean thing enter into the kingdom of God; wherefore there must needs be a place of filthiness prepared for that which is filthy.

Quote for Discussion

In an interview with a young man in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Mesa</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">Arizona</st1:State></st1:place>, I found him only a little sorry he had committed adultery but not sure he wanted to cleanse himself. After long deliberations in which I seemed to make little headway against his rebellious spirit I finally said, “Goodbye, Bill, but I warn you, don’t break a speed limit, be careful what you eat, take no chances on your life. Be careful in traffic for you must not die before this matter is cleared up. Don’t you dare die.” I quoted this scripture—1 Nephi 15:33-34.

A slow death has its advantages over the sudden demise. The cancer victim who is head of a family, for instance, should use his time to be an adviser to those who survive him. The period of inactivity after a patient learns there is no hope for this life can be a period of great productivity. How much more true this is of one who has been involved in deliberate sin! He must not die until he has made his peace with God. He must be careful and not have an accident. [145-46]…To the prophets the term unclean in this context (1 Nephi 15:34; 10:21) means what it means to God. To man the word may be relative in meaning—one minute speck of dirt does not make a white shirt or dress unclean, for example. But to God who is perfection, cleanliness means moral and personal cleanliness. Less than that is, in one degree or another, uncleanliness and hence cannot dwell with God.

Spencer W. Kimball, Miracle of Forgiveness, 1969, 19<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

For me this is encouraging and depressing at the same time... At times I have felt I have made to many wrong choices.... They won't be forgotton..... Why try... I will never make it.... I also know with out a doubt that these negative thoughts are Satans way of stopping me, or slowing me down in this effort.. A constant battle I will win... :}