1 Nephi 16:2-3

pam

Reference Search: 1 Nephi 16:2-3

2 And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken hard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.

3 And now my brethren, if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might walk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.

Quote for Discussion

The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know….”The guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center” (1 Ne. 16:1, 3). Or, to put it in another prophet’s words, “Hit pigeons flutter.”…The world prefers that prophets either be dead or mind their own business. Some so-called experts of political science want the prophet to keep still on politics. Some would-be authorities on evolution want the prophet to keep still on evolution. And so the list goes on and on. How we respond to the words of a living prophet when he tells what we need to know, but would rather not hear, is a test of our faithfulness.

Ezra Taft Benson BYU Speeches of the Year, pp. 26-30<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>