Selling "everything" to survive

bcguy

This topic is not for me but represents a small slice of americans that are currently feeling the severe brunt of this resession. Some are literly selling everything just to put food on the table.

Selling My Everything - iReport.com

I almost kind of see simularities of this resession to what Noah went though. He was possibly put down by the population because of the "flood" and laughed at for what he believed will be comming..the great flood. In one of the comments by one of the respondents in ireports.com. He said the neighbors laughed at him because of his "living in his means" but now, almost all high neighboors have lost there homes to foreclosure. So meanwhile, he still has his house because of his frugal living and alot of these neighboors are either renting, homless or packed tightly with somone else.

Now some parts of the US had perhaps one of the highest homless rates in the country. Take a look at this report from Lisa Ling about how the resession is affecting orange country california its a very moving article.

Victims of the Recession - Lisa Ling Reports - Oprah.com

I am still looking for work. Wife works full time and I turned down a contracting position as a telcom tech simply because the contractor said I had to work sundays. Its in the contract with Telus. Do any of you work for your self? Did you find it to be more of a advantage when working for another company?

So still looking and most of my savings drained that help to support me and my wife. We have not sold anything yet . I am hopfull that I may have work work for my self and find the companies that need changes done for there networks.

I hope all of you are weathering the resession at least here in BC Canada, we are doing better because our banks are tightly regulated.

Also, curios on how everyone else here is doing finacially? have something to say that is inpiring in these tough times?

Edited by bcguy

Times are tough. I'm a newly wed and so the economy has hit me some. I'm not at the point of selling everything to survive, but I've had to make sacrifices. The blessings of tithing are really saving my skin right now.

One interesting side note, stakes across the country are beginning to perform surveys of talents, skills, and the financial situation of the members they take care of. My ward has even done the same, with a more spiritual survey. The stake wants a knowledge of everyone's financial situation, and everyone's talents so we can all help one another if needed. Sounds like a task that could lay the groundwork for the day when the United Order and Law of Consecration be reinstated in full.

Guest missingsomething

CaptmoroniRM,

Our stake did the same thing 3 yrs ago. Financial situation, your skill sets, your previous empl. history, and if you are in a position to hire.

I guess this recession is teaching people to follow the prophet... our prophets have warned us to get out of debt and to save! Its really coming in handy now.

I am guessing that alot of Stakes may do something like whats been mentioned. I was in attendance at a Welfare meeting recently held in our Stake. The Church is trying to encourage local units to set up whats called the Lord's Storehouse. We have the Bishop's Storehouose....but the Lord's Storehouse is different. This is where you use the resources available thru your own Ward or Branch to try and solve problems. We all might see those surveys come back again.

Seeing this economic turmoil unfold like this really makes me sad, even though it really wasn't too hard to see it coming.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pound ought and six, result misery.

Dickens pretty much summed up the state of the US these past years, and the check is now due, but unfortunately we're all being forced to pay up. What really amazes me is the speed at which everything seems to be unwinding, and more alarming still is that the pace seems to be increasing, not decreasing. I really truly feel bad for those innocent families who did not gamble their savings or try to make a quick buck, but are now experiencing pain as a result of those who did.

Missing- although i'm not yet a "saint", I have always admired the qualities and advice that you speak of. It's funny how quickly seemingly anachronistic advice can turn sagely isn't it?

The economy does seem to be going downhill pretty fast and picking up steam, but I wonder if that's simply because people are noticing it more than a few years ago when the first of the sub-prime bumps occurred. I have felt like a Cassandra for the past 6 years or so, and I've had people mock and scold me (literally!!!) because I absolutely refused to have credit cards or buy a $50k house for the going rate of $100k. I don't feel smug now, and I don't feel like gloating. I just feel really sad about the whole thing and am wondering what I'm gonna have to cut this next year when my job does its staggered ten days at a time layoffs every two months. Sidenote: I asked around and apparently McCain Foods came up with this idea of scattered layoffs around the dot.com bust a while back. The thinking is people will always need food, and McCains will always need trained workers and investors, so if they layoff people every few months it will give the company some economic breathing room and people won't be on unemployment long enough for a new job to be appealing. Those Canadians are crafty.

Seeing this economic turmoil unfold like this really makes me sad, even though it really wasn't too hard to see it coming.

Dickens pretty much summed up the state of the US these past years, and the check is now due, but unfortunately we're all being forced to pay up. What really amazes me is the speed at which everything seems to be unwinding, and more alarming still is that the pace seems to be increasing, not decreasing. I really truly feel bad for those innocent families who did not gamble their savings or try to make a quick buck, but are now experiencing pain as a result of those who did.

Missing- although i'm not yet a "saint", I have always admired the qualities and advice that you speak of. It's funny how quickly seemingly anachronistic advice can turn sagely isn't it?

If I say on the mass media - WE ARE NOW IN A DEPRESSION - how would the nation react? This is why this has happened quickly. If you get an opportunity to listen to President Packer, do so. There are some interesting hindsight on what is coming and what to do.;)

The economy does seem to be going downhill pretty fast and picking up steam, but I wonder if that's simply because people are noticing it more than a few years ago when the first of the sub-prime bumps occurred. I have felt like a Cassandra for the past 6 years or so, and I've had people mock and scold me (literally!!!) because I absolutely refused to have credit cards or buy a $50k house for the going rate of $100k. I don't feel smug now, and I don't feel like gloating. I just feel really sad about the whole thing and am wondering what I'm gonna have to cut this next year when my job does its staggered ten days at a time layoffs every two months. Sidenote: I asked around and apparently McCain Foods came up with this idea of scattered layoffs around the dot.com bust a while back. The thinking is people will always need food, and McCains will always need trained workers and investors, so if they layoff people every few months it will give the company some economic breathing room and people won't be on unemployment long enough for a new job to be appealing. Those Canadians are crafty.

Good for you...I wish we had more members that would pay close attention on what the church being talking about.

We refuse credit cards also and years back paid them off.

One of my favorite Pres. Hinckley talks was the one immediately after the attack of 9/11. As he began his comments he said he was just handed a note saying the US began the war against Afghanistan. This talk is powerful, as he assumed his duties as prophet and provided council for us.

What did he talk about? Living within our means. He spoke strongly of it. He said:

I cannot forget the great lesson of Pharaoh's dream of the fat and lean kine and of the full and withered stalks of corn.

To me, when a prophet says he can't get something off his mind...one might pay attention to what he's saying. Pharaoh's dream foretold 7 years of plenty and 7 years of famine. Interestingly enough, 7 years later, after a time of reasonable economic prosperity, we were voting on a "bailout" package for the economy and entering a period of serious financial crisis.

Just one more reason to follow the prophets.