1 Nephi 16:20

pam

Reference Search: 1 Nephi 16:20

20 And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord.

Quote for Discussion

Gratitude is the opposite of complaining. President John Taylor experienced many challenges in his life that he could have murmured or complained about. At Carthage Jail, John Taylor reports: “I was struck by a ball from the door about midway of my thigh….I crawled under the bed…While on my way and under the bed, I was wounded in three other places….My wounds were painful” (John Taylor, Gospel Kingdom, 361). Later John Taylor spent much of his life in exile and died in hiding in Kaysville. On a plaque at the home where he died are inscribed his last six words: “I feel to thank the Lord.”

Knowing this small part of President Taylor’s life, consider what he taught about murmuring. “Do not be troubled about anything. I should be ashamed of telling any body I was troubled…; talk about peace and the principles of eternal life; about God, angels….I am surprised to hear any body talk about troubles, poor creatures; you have a little soul. I never had much trouble myself….When trouble comes upon you I would recommend the course Bunyan took in the Pilgrim’s Progress; he put his fingers in his ears, and cried life, life, eternal life. So when you hear any one talk about their troubles, put your finger in your ears, and cry life, life, eternal life.”

John Taylor, Times and Seasons, 6<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>