1 Nephi 16:23-24

pam

Reference Search: 1 Nephi 16:23-24

23 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones. And I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to obtain food?

24 And it came to pass that he did inquire of the Lord, for they had humbled themselves because of my words; for I did say many things unto them in the energy of my soul.

Quotes for Discussion

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that “it is contrary to the economy of God for any member of the Church, or any one, to receive instruction for those in authority, higher than themselves” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 21). That same principle precludes receiving revelation for anyone outside one’s defined circle of responsibility.

Russell M. Nelson, Ensign, May 1993, p. 39

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>No man…understanding…authority and law of the Holy Priesthood will attempt for a moment to run before his file leader or to do anything that is not strictly in harmony with his wish.

Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, 185<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 coordsize="21600,21600" path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 11.5pt; Z-INDEX: 251662336; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt" type="#_x0000_t202" stroked="f" filled="f"><v:textbox style="mso-next-textbox: #_x0000_s1026"></v:textbox></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> The bishop may be a humble man. Some of you may think you are superior to him, and you may be, but he is given authority direct from our Father in heaven. Recognize it. Seek his advice.

David O. McKay, in Conference Report, October 1967, 7

I say again, FOLLOW THE BRETHREN. In a few days there opens another general conference of the Church. The servants of the Lord will counsel us. You may listen with anxious ears and hearts, or you may turn that counsel aside. As in these devotionals, what you shall gain will depend not so much upon their preparation of the messages as upon your preparation for them….On one occasion [Karl G. Maeser], was leading a party of young missionaries across the Alps. As they slowly ascended the steep slope, he looked back and saw a row of sticks thrust into the glacial snow to mark the one safe path across the otherwise treacherous mountains. Something about those sticks impressed him, and halting the company of missionaries he gestured toward them and said, “Brethren, there stands the priesthood. They are just common sticks like the rest of us—some of them may even seem to be a little…[less than perfect], but the position they hold makes them what they are. If we step aside from the path they mark, we are lost.

Boyd K. Packer, BYU Devotional, Mar. 23, 1965<o:p></o:p>

Liahona Triad<o:p></o:p>

<v:shapetype id=_x0000_t202 coordsize="21600,21600" path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe" o:spt="202"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t"></v:path></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: 9.7pt; Z-INDEX: 251664384; LEFT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt; TEXT-ALIGN: left" type="#_x0000_t202" stroked="f" filled="f"><v:textbox style="mso-next-textbox: #_x0000_s1026"></v:textbox></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>By Robert E. Wells<o:p></o:p>

Faith<o:p></o:p>

Remember, the main test of this life on earth is to see if we, not remembering the premortal existence with Heavenly Father and not being able to prove his existence by material evidence, will still have faith in him, trust him, and obey his commandments, no matter the hazard or sacrifice that may be required of us.

1 Nephi 3:7

1 Nephi 17:39, 49-51

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Alma</st1:City></st1:place> 34:14-17

Diligence – perseverance, persistence, dedication, steadiness, dependability

<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Moroni</st1:place></st1:City> 9:6

<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Alma</st1:place></st1:City> 17:2-5

Jacob 1:19

Heed – hear, hearken, pay attention, remain righteous, be careful

<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Alma</st1:place></st1:City> 37:43-44

1 Nephi 16:3

<st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Moroni</st1:place></st1:City> 7:14

“New Writing” on the Liahona<o:p></o:p>

<v:shape id=_x0000_s1027 style="MARGIN-TOP: 1.8pt; Z-INDEX: 251665408; MARGIN-LEFT: -37.05pt; WIDTH: 36pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 27pt" type="#_x0000_t202" stroked="f" filled="f"><v:textbox style="mso-next-textbox: #_x0000_s1027"></v:textbox></v:shape><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> One fascinating peculiarity of the Liahona was that not only did its pointers guide them in the wilderness but “a new writing, which was plain to be read” appeared on the pointers to give them “understanding concerning the ways of the Lord; and it was written and changed from time to time, according to their faith, diligence” and heed (1 Nephi 16:29). Very little is said about this phenomenon. In fact, I can find no further reference to this changeable writing. As I read the Book of Mormon, however, something strange seems to happen to me. Passages of scriptures that I have read many times in one light seem to change—and suddenly there is a new meaning to that old and familiar scripture. I like to think that the Book of Mormon is truly like the Liahona of old. Not only does it point us in the way of the Lord and to the Lord according to the faith, diligence, and heed we give it, but if we are interested enough to read it again and again, from cover to cover, there are times when a “new writing”—plain to be read—seems to appear.

Elder Robert E. Wells, of the First Quorum of the Seventy, Sperry Symposium Doctrines of the Book of Mormon: 1991 Sperry Symposium on the Book of Mormon , p.1<o:p></o:p>

</o:p>

As I read the Book of Mormon, however, something strange seems to happen to me. Passages of scriptures that I have read many times in one light seem to change—and suddenly there is a new meaning to that old and familiar scripture. I like to think that the Book of Mormon is truly like the Liahona of old. Not only does it point us in the way of the Lord and to the Lord according to the faith, diligence, and heed we give it, but if we are interested enough to read it again and again, from cover to cover, there are times when a “new writing”—plain to be read—seems to appear

This is so true for me...... I also refer my Bishop when my prayers leave me with more questions than answers.