Pologamy

Jobiwon

Well officially the revelation to the church concerning polygamy was given in 1843 though Joseph Smith was aware of the doctrine for some years previous to that.

It ended in 1890 due to persecution by the Government in accordance to the principle revealed in Doctrine and Covenants 124:49

Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings. (Doctrine and Covenants 124:49)

My belief is that Joseph Smith was commanded to.

If you study the life stories of all who practiced polygamy in the early church, not a single one desired it. It was a great challenge and trial to those who did.

The practice was stopped because they applied for statehood into the Union, or USA, and it was against the laws of the land. They were not to break the law. Also, I believe they were not ready to continue the practice as it was a higher law.

I don't know where it takes us. I believe Joseph was commanded to practice it because he "saw" the heavens and the "sociality" that exists there. Once he saw it he had to practice it. So, I believe it exists in some form in the afterlife. I don't know how or to what extent. But, this I do know...

Joseph Smith was a prophet, and the Book of Mormon is true. If it is practiced in heaven, who am I to say it is wrong? One thing I have learned over the years, if we do not agree with something of God, we must change and try to understand. God is eternal and knows all truth, therefore He will not change.

This topic is an enormous trial of faith for literally thousands, or more. Don't let it keep you away, that's what Satan wants it to do. That's why anti-Mormons dwell on the topic.

Concentrate on the Book of Mormon. If it is true, then the rest will fall into its proper place.

My belief is that Joseph Smith was commanded to.

If you study the life stories of all who practiced polygamy in the early church, not a single one desired it. It was a great challenge and trial to those who did.

The practice was stopped because they applied for statehood into the Union, or USA, and it was against the laws of the land. They were not to break the law. Also, I believe they were not ready to continue the practice as it was a higher law.

I don't know where it takes us. I believe Joseph was commanded to practice it because he "saw" the heavens and the "sociality" that exists there. Once he saw it he had to practice it. So, I believe it exists in some form in the afterlife. I don't know how or to what extent. But, this I do know...

Joseph Smith was a prophet, and the Book of Mormon is true. If it is practiced in heaven, who am I to say it is wrong? One thing I have learned over the years, if we do not agree with something of God, we must change and try to understand. God is eternal and knows all truth, therefore He will not change.

This topic is an enormous trial of faith for literally thousands, or more. Don't let it keep you away, that's what Satan wants it to do. That's why anti-Mormons dwell on the topic.

Concentrate on the Book of Mormon. If it is true, then the rest will fall into its proper place.

I read the journal of discourse, many of the old prophets say that plural marriage is essential to salvation and godhood. Is the journal of discourse reliable?

I read the journal of discourse, many of the old prophets say that plural marriage is essential to salvation and godhood. Is the journal of discourse reliable?

I always thought BY was pretty intolerant of those who did not follow or obey what was commanded of them. Polygamy was commanded, thus those who did not follow were not being righteous. If polygamy was condemned of God then those who followed polygamy would be condemned. BY did not see many shades of gray :cool:

I always thought BY was pretty intolerant of those who did not follow or obey what was commanded of them. Polygamy was commanded, thus those who did not follow were not being righteous. If polygamy was condemned of God then those who followed polygamy would be condemned. BY did not see many shades of gray :cool:

What did you mean? Im a little slow

Guest missingsomething

Here's my layman's views on this....

Religious practices have been amended before... ie the old testiment laws (eye for an eye, etc) to the new testiment laws. I think sometimes we loose sight of that... and I am sure many can find a way to argue why that is not a legitiment point.

Bottom line is this... you have to pray about these things... ask God specifically and he will answer you.

I personally believe that without plural marriages, many father-less families making the trek out west would have parished. Of course, some people misused this practice and gave it a bad rep and a sinister rep. Satan has a way of perversing even the most sacred things.

I also believe it stopped because the need changed but also because as the articles of faith (our basic believes) state - we are to obey the laws of the land.

I too had to really pray about this and read and study before I received an answer. Anyone can take any concept of faith and twist it and corrupt it. However, the Lord has promised that when we ask in faith, we will know all things.

I'm not sure this specifically answered you - but its what I felt I wanted to say. And disclaimer: these are missingsomething's impressions.... I didnt post references because no church leader has said this. :) (for those of you who love to ask me to "Prove it")

Here's my layman's views on this....

Religious practices have been amended before... ie the old testiment laws (eye for an eye, etc) to the new testiment laws. I think sometimes we loose sight of that... and I am sure many can find a way to argue why that is not a legitiment point.

Bottom line is this... you have to pray about these things... ask God specifically and he will answer you.

I personally believe that without plural marriages, many father-less families making the trek out west would have parished. Of course, some people misused this practice and gave it a bad rep and a sinister rep. Satan has a way of perversing even the most sacred things.

I also believe it stopped because the need changed but also because as the articles of faith (our basic believes) state - we are to obey the laws of the land.

I too had to really pray about this and read and study before I received an answer. Anyone can take any concept of faith and twist it and corrupt it. However, the Lord has promised that when we ask in faith, we will know all things.

I'm not sure this specifically answered you - but its what I felt I wanted to say. And disclaimer: these are missingsomething's impressions.... I didnt post references because no church leader has said this. :) (for those of you who love to ask me to "Prove it")

With all-due respect, your argument about praying fails. Catholics pray, muslims pray, Jehovah witnesses pray ect. And they all claim to be the one true church. I know the journal of discourse, book of Mormon, and the doctrines and covenants. Pologamy is essential to Godhood, your old prophets said that it would never change.

Who is more faithful to Joseph Smiths teachings, Hinkley( mainstream lds) or Warren Jeffs ( FLDS )

We must search scripture daily to find the truth, if God told people the one truth, we would all belive in the same thing.

What did you mean? Im a little slow

Think of it this way:

Back when the Law of Moses was in effect eating pork was something that would get you condemned, so was failing to circumcise your son. The law of Moses was fulfilled eating pork and not getting circumcised was no longer condemned.

An additional example is when the apostles are first told to not enter gentile cities to preach and then after the resurrection being told to preach the gospel to every creature. So Peter, preresurrection if he had gone to say Athens to preach he would have been under condemnation (for not obeying the Lord's commandment to keep it to the children of Isreal), afterwards if he had refused to teach the gospel to everyone after having been told to, again condemnation.

So basically it boils down to, it doesn't matter what the commandments of God are, obey them, if you aren't you are sinning which is what Brigham Young's stance (and he wasn't known for tiptoeing around sensitivities) was.

There were alot of thing done & taught in those days & things in the Journal of Discourses that have since been corrected by more recent prophets. Also, women's true position & equality was rarely understood or respected in the 1800's & they were not usually given their rightful say in decisions that affected the marriage, like polygamy did, in those days.

Edited by foreverafter

There were alot of thing done & taught in those day & things in the Journal of Discourses that have since been corrected by more recent prophets.

That would mean Joseph Smiths teaching was wrong, which would mean LDS is wrong because Joseph Smith is the foundation of Mormonism. If Joseph Smith was right in his teachings, then mainstream LDS today is still wrong, because they no longer practice what he taught about pologamy and Exaltation.

Edited by Jobiwon

You seem to be operating on the flawed premise that God will not give lesser commandments (aka lower laws) to his people when they fail to live up to the greater (aka higher laws) or that he doesn't give commandments to his children in regards to their time, place and situation. In your paradigm Moses is not a prophet because when bitten by snakes Christians don't go looking at brass serpents, or that its okay to eat pork.

That would mean Joseph Smiths teaching was wrong, which would mean LDS is wrong because Joseph Smith is the foundation of Mormonism. If Joseph Smith was right in his teachings, then mainstream LDS today is still wrong, because they no longer practice what he taught about pologamy and Exaltation.

In the Old Testament there are many instances of polygamy - is the OT therefore wrong and not to be believed because we do nit poractice polygamy today? The principal is eternal but the time is not right for it to be practiced at present.