National Media Dismiss, Disparage and Attack Tax Day Tea Parties

bytor2112

Yeah that was pretty rude. I don't blame them. How much of a story can a bunch of big bbqs with a few politicians sprinkled in with the normal middle-class people and musicians, all of whom are NOT rioting or spewing hate-speech, be? Shame on these tea-party people for not following the approved media script. The news outlets need drama, people! If you don't give it to them they have to go and make their own, and we've seen where that leads :(

BTW I think Obama's doing a pretty good job with what he inherited. The world isn't gonna end, the economy is gonna recover, and hopefully we'll see a suitable chastening of the financial institutions. I applaud the protesters for having the guts to stand up for what they believe in and I thank them for not rioting and sacking the local Home Depot.

Hey did anyone see the sign one of the guys was holding that said 'Honk if I'm paying your mortgage'? I can't find any video of that. I think a better sign would read 'Honk if the bailout is paying for any mortgages' :P

talisyn- you're right on. Those in the news don't want peaceful protests- it's easy to keep labeling the tea parties as crazy if you disparage instead of listen. It goes to show that honest journalism is largely dead in the mainstream media (that's not to say it's wholly alive in FOX either) when most of the major news outlets make blatant lies- "it never really caught on", "this is anti-Government and anti-Obama", etc.- about serious stories that don't support the source's agenda.

The biggest lie, of course, is that these rallies are only about taxes. They're not, as the brief interview Susan Roesgen has with an Illisnois protester made painfully clear (she had to direct the interview. When he mentioned Abraham Lincoln and governmental philosophy, she took the microphone away and said "But what does this have to do about taxes?").

You wonder why these networks are rated poorly as being most watched. I guess you can include me as a ANTI-CNN and pro constitutional.

Remember this day on what was started as a grass-root....it will grow over time with not only those who do care about this land, its constitution, but many states will also join the fray and a growing disdain for the current corrupted government. ;)

BTW I think Obama's doing a pretty good job with what he inherited. The world isn't gonna end, the economy is gonna recover, and hopefully we'll see a suitable chastening of the financial institutions.

The economy will and would have recovered without the massive government spending. I am not referring to TARP only, but the ridiculous "emergency" stimulus bill and the omnibus bill. That is the reason people are protesting. As far as "Obama is doing a good job".......if you are for massive government spending, deficits that will likely lead to inflation, higher taxes and debt that our great grandchildren will be dealing with and the fact that for all the promised "change" he is behaving remarkably like Bush did, then , yeah, I can see how you think that.....http://www.lds.net/forums/current-events/20415-obama-just-like-bush.html

Edited by bytor2112

Or perhaps, it was destiny in allowing government "free for all expenditure" and then allow our monetary system to collapse in bringing forth a new world system?

A "new world system"?

Is that something different than the "New World Order" so many of you are terrified of?

Elphaba

Bear with me here.

When I read this story I was struck by how many times it accused the media of using teabagging as a sexual innuendo, and how the writer then used urbadictionary to prove it.

First, urbandictionary is not a dictionary at all. It is a website where people can post any word they want, with any definition they want, and it was irresponsible of the reporter not to explain that. Instead, she let it look like the word was in an official dictionary.

Second, out of many, many definitions, only one of them in urbandictionary has a sexual connotation. There are far more of the following:

An American who still believes [sic] in the words written in the constitution and is upset with Democrats and Republicans alike for excessive spending, taxing, and overall life regulation. They are also well known as using their brains in a time where it is so unpopular.

Democrat: "Did you see those Obama hating, bigot republican teabaggers on Fox at the tea parties nationwide?"

Republican: "Do you think those teabaggers have figured out we aren't really conservative at all?"

Teabagger: "We hate Republicans and democrats alike for their lies, corruption, excessive spending and taxing, and of course the fact that I can't earn an honest living without pulling their hands out of my pocket."

Obviously the caliber of the so-called dictionary’s definitions is minimal; however, the above is more typical than any other definition, or at least it was the last time I checked. Who knows by now?

Additionally, I think it is absurd for the originators of this movement to have named it with the the resulting acronym TEA, and to have assigned the teabags as a symbol of their dissent, and then expected no one to associate it with this particular sexual reference, given so many people were aware of it.

However.

I had never heard this word before until this grass roots movement, and I have a pretty good smut vocabulary. So, when I listened to David Shuster’s commentary that is linked in this story, I thought nothing of it.

When I read it again with my new-found definition, I was appalled, and I was disgusted, and I still feel sick.

The sexual inferences are, blatantly, and shockingly, there.

I keep going around my various blogs, asking everyone to tone down their incendiary language, and the truth is, most of my pleas are on the right-wing blogs. They still are because that’s where I continue to find the majority of it.

But this is a different kind of incendiary commentary, and it is completely unethical. It defies that moral high ground I keep expecting SOMEONE to take.

You don’t torture human beings. It is okay for our government to help people who need it, because, despite most peoples' beleifs, they really do need it.

When you give a commentary about people you disagree with, regardless of how vehemently, you do not resort to disgusting imagery to mock them.

I have sent MSNBC an e-mail telling them I severely object to Shuster’s commentary, which I know will never be read. I am hoping there is enough of MSNBC’s audience out there who will do the same that it may make a difference.

Frankly, I admit I understand what‘s happening: The left is starting to bristle at all the outrageous accusations from the right, including the media, and they’re standing up to it. Apparently normal commentary doesn’t fire up the people like Michael Savage’s does. But if you are committed to self-imposed and ethical high standards, it does not matter.

IT DOES NOT MATTER!

If you’re part of that bristling media, you bristle in the newsroom with your friends and get it out of your system. If you want to mock people’s supposed stupidity, you do it in the newsroom and get it out of your system.

If you want to make demeaning and degrading sexual innuendos, you do it in the newsroom, get it out of your system, and THEN go on air!

You do not bring your degradations to the actual newscast! It is absolutely no different than resorting to the manipulations you perceive, and accuse, your opponents of.

Plus, for crying out loud, it is just freaking wrong. Wrong on so many levels wrong. Turtles all the way down wrong.

I swear, both sides have lost their minds. I am picking up a book and tuning out, because the hate is making me ill. I just hope the second Civil War doesn’t break out while I do.

And no, that is not another one of my superlative analogies. I have literally lost count of how many times I’ve read people demanding just that. It no longer matters where.

Elphaba

Additionally, I think it is absurd for the originators of this movement to have named it with the the resulting acronym TEA, and to have assigned the teabags as a symbol of their dissent, and then expected no one to associate it with this particular sexual reference, given so many people were aware of it.

However.

I had never heard this word before until this grass roots movement, and I have a pretty good smut vocabulary. So, when I listened to David Shuster’s commentary that is linked in this story, I thought nothing of it.

Yeah; frankly, I used to hang out in some less-than-savory online circles and I never heard it either. Frankly, (paranoid ranting coming) I almost wonder whether the usage even existed before the Tea Party movement began; or whether it was something invented after-the-fact to slur them and has been adopted by people who wanted to appear sophisticated--sort of like the word "quiz" which, if I remember correctly, was invented when two rich guys with way too much time on their hands bet each other that one of them could invent a new word and have it in common circulation within 24 hours.

Frankly, I admit I understand what‘s happening: The left is starting to bristle at all the outrageous accusations from the right, including the media, and they’re standing up to it. Apparently normal commentary doesn’t fire up the people like Michael Savage’s does. But if you are committed to self-imposed and ethical high standards, it does not matter.

I think it would be overly simplistic to paint this as an inevitable response to those nasty righties, who started everything in the first place. (And I realize that's not what you're doing, Elphaba.) Really, this strikes me as just an escalation in the tone of a political discourse that has waxed and waned throughout the history of our republic.

I think it would be overly simplistic to paint this as an inevitable response to those nasty righties, who started everything in the first place. (And I realize that's not what you're doing, Elphaba.) Really, this strikes me as just an escalation in the tone of a political discourse that has waxed and waned throughout the history of our republic.

I knew that part wasn't going to come out right.

You explain it. I'm too tired.

Elph

Yeah; frankly, I used to hang out in some less-than-savory online circles and I never heard it either. Frankly, (paranoid ranting coming) I almost wonder whether the usage even existed before the Tea Party movement began; >snip< invent a new word and have it in common circulation within 24 hours.

Well, now I feel better in that I am not as up on my smuttiness as I thought. After all, if you weren't familiar with it, how should I have been? :P

Actually, the term does precede the movement. If you would like proof, PM me, and that is all I am going to say about that!

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

It is less a smut vocabulary word than it is a gamer vocabulary word, particularly first person shooters. I don't play many first person shooters, but I am somewhat in touch with the gamer subculture, and I had definitely heard of "tea bagging" before this fiasco.

I've really only seen MSNBC and Comedy Central use the blatant innuendo which I think was in bad taste for MSNBC, but that is kind of what Comedy Central does so I don't blame them too much for it. I've seen clips of the CNN "coverage" of the tea parties and I was disappointed as well, I find it sad that they have sunk to the level of Fox News mocking protesters very similar to what happened after Bush was elected.

I was never part of the liberal "protest Bush" crowd, but I find it extremely ironic that the very same people who were calling anyone who didn't agree with Bush treasonous, are now trying to incite a revolution against the current president.

I was never part of the liberal "protest Bush" crowd, but I find it extremely ironic that the very same people who were calling anyone who didn't agree with Bush treasonous, are now trying to incite a revolution against the current president.

You should take it as a compliment. We've finally embraced the notion that "dissent is the highest form of patriotism". :D

It is less a smut vocabulary word than it is a gamer vocabulary word, particularly first person shooters. I don't play many first person shooters, but I am somewhat in touch with the gamer subculture, and I had definitely heard of "tea bagging" before this fiasco.

I wouldn't have thought it was anything suggestive until I as directed to an old sex and the city tape. Enough said? :P

I've really only seen MSNBC and Comedy Central use the blatant innuendo which I think was in bad taste for MSNBC, but that is kind of what Comedy Central does so I don't blame them too much for it.

Not that it needs it, but Comedy Central has my complete permission to riff off of it anyway it wants.

Shuster has my permission as well, but not my support. His show is political, and I always enjoy it a great deal. I think he's done an outstanding job. That's one of the reason this saddens me so much, as his show is poorer for using it.

I think I should have mentioned this in my post. I was in the business. I've been in these newsrooms, and I know how they work. Every raunchy and crude metaphor complete with expletives is thrown around the "room" every day. But it is just understood it does not make its way into the news.

My career was in print media, so I have no experience with broadcast news. I don't believe the guidelines are any different however. Given the audiences, I would think they would be even more careful, especially if they wanted to be persuasive.

I watched Shuster's spot the night it was on, and frankly, I thought it was funny. It wasn't until I actually read his words with my new information that it hit me how bad it really was.

If he had said the same thing in a different format, it would not have bothered me. And I do undertand his show is not technically news.

Bah. I feel like I'm just making up more words and ways to explain this.

Don't even get me started.

Elphaba

Edited by Elphaba

People in this country have a very poor historical memory or suffer from massive, sheer ignorance. California in 1966 was at the top if the US in per pupil spending, some of the lowest taxes in the nation, six auto assembly plans and the cradle of movie making with some of the largest automibile dealerships, and one of the fastest growing economies in the world.

A decade later, the legislators voted themselves a full time job with benefits, double the taxes, kill the auto industry with organized labor and plunged the state into "welfareway". Today we are the highest taxed people in the nation, at the bottom in education accomplishment. jobs are flying out at 100K per year, crime keeps skyrocketing so prison industries are eating more of the budget and the movie industry all but gone.

With 65% of the budge going to "Health and Human Services" (whatever that is), with the highest paid teachers, cops. prison guards and labor union work in the country bankruptcy is the only way to rework and balance the budget. But...they rather tax the people out of existence....Our ONLY protection is the 2/3 majority rule and they are now plotting how to circumvent the law in order to nail the few tax paying people left in the state with even higher taxes.

Edited by Islander

I'm not sure how much there is to say about the irony. It goes both ways. Politics make for strange bedfellows, et cetera. The lefty blogs talk about the irony that the right has suddenly discovered the virtues of dissent, while the righties are still getting in their yuks that Obama honestly thought the Republicans would buck two years of Democratic precedent and blindly fall in line with the Presidential agenda.

With 65% of the budge going to "Health and Human Services" (whatever that is),

You don't think it would be wise to at least know what it is you're criticizing.

I'm not saying you're going to like it. But with that declaration, your argument just turned into a rant.

Elphaba

Those aren't the only kind of people at the tea parties, DigitalShadow.

These tea parties appeal to someone like me- just coming into the adult world; Bush was president most of my politically formative years. I didn't like what he was doing (so far as I knew what he was doing) when he was in office, but I supported him because he was our president and, frankly, politics were the least of my concerns. Mainly, I was concerned with the war in Iraq, which I didn't really support or not support.

Now I find myself in a country that has just peacefully switched leadership and parties in power, but I still feel we're on the same downward slope that we were during Bush's presidency- despite promises of change. What to do? Growing up, I revered the Founding Fathers. Seeing an entire movement of people who want to return to the original ideals they formed the United States of America with sounds really, really good.

Also, this is a non-partisan movement, even if the majority of the protesters (and the only media network giving the event a fair coverage) are Republican conservatives. I watched Glenn Beck's coverage of the events, and I liked what he said. Basically, it was (IIRC)

"This isn't about the Democrats, except for 'the Democrats suck'. No more so, however, than the Republicans suck". The crowd applauded wildly.

Take away the Glenn Beck-ish lingo, and you get the fact that these people protesting (at least at the Alamo) are tired of the entire system and are ready for a change.

Also, this is a non-partisan movement, even if the majority of the protesters (and the only media network giving the event a fair coverage) are Republican conservatives. I watched Glenn Beck's coverage of the events, and I liked what he said. Basically, it was (IIRC)

It may not be a "republican" movement, but it is most definitely a "conservative" movement.

It may not be a "republican" movement, but it is most definitely a "conservative" movement.

I'll cede that to you. From what I'm seeing, wanting to return to the Constitutional principles and values is more conservative than liberal on today's political spectrum. To be fair, however, the recent conservatives in power during the Bush administration did anything but that. So, I guess those supporting the tea party movement would fit somewhere between the right and the middle on the issues in question.

I'll cede that to you. From what I'm seeing, wanting to return to the Constitutional principles and values is more conservative than liberal on today's political spectrum. To be fair, however, the recent conservatives in power during the Bush administration did anything but that. So, I guess those supporting the tea party movement would fit somewhere between the right and the middle on the issues in question.

Thank you. I tried to make that point above. Some missed it. apparently.