Faith Among Shadows

pam

I just finished this book last night by author Malcolm Leal. It is his first attempt at writing and publishing.

The story is a true story about a young man who was in the Cuban military which included assignments of grave danger in South America.

He learned about God from his grandmother whose only source of information was from a Bible that was over 100 years old. In his story Malcolm amazingly recollects conversations with his grandmother and the story of her faith.

It's also about his search for God after leaving the Cuban Army and moving to the United States. How 2 young missionaries brought everything together for him.

It's an amazing story for anyone that might be searching and think their past is far too grave to really matter to God.

I highly recommend it.

I recently read Faith Among Shadows and liked it so much I am reading it again. I found the book to be very warmly written and it's hard to believe that this is the author's first book because it so well written. The author lived a very interesting life and his Grandmother is priceless. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. Funny, heartwarming, suspenseful and spiritual.......and the story is true!

I would have loved to have met his grandmother. I hope I get that opportunity some day. Though it will be in the next life.

Another thing is I couldn't believe how much he had been through just by age 20. So much more than any 20 year old I've ever known.

I tried to do that but it said I must have completed a purchase in order to review a book. I have an account but have not ever purchased anything on it.

Edited by pam

Sunday I will be attending a fireside that he will be speaking at. I want to make sure I get his autograph in the book. lol

I had the pleasure of attending a fireside this last Sunday where Malcolm spoke. Though I had read his book, listening to him tell his stories in person was amazing. It was interesting to see how he could mix the horrors of parts of his life with humor and come off with an amazing conversion story. I also had the pleasure of meeting his wonderful wife. What a joy she is as well. Then to find out Malcolm also converted her was like the icing on the cake.

• 2 months later...

I got three of my friends to purchase this book in the last 2 weeks. All three have read it and absolutely loved it. Hey if anyone in the Utah area would love to have a ward fireside with the author..he talks about his conversion story and it is extremely uplifting..let me know.

• 2 months later...

I agree with many of the posts I have read concerning this book. But as a history teacher I am going a little crazy with the innacurate dates. Anyone know how I can contact the publisher? The website for cedarfort fails when I try it. The first date of the Bolshevik revolution he mentions as 1905 was in 1917. I just read the part where he mentions the fall of the Berlin Wall. The year is 1987 and in a few months the wall is suppose to come down. Actually this was Nov. 9, 1989.

I thought if the publisher new this they could change it in future publications. Thanks for you help.

I agree with many of the posts I have read concerning this book. But as a history teacher I am going a little crazy with the innacurate dates. Anyone know how I can contact the publisher? The website for cedarfort fails when I try it. The first date of the Bolshevik revolution he mentions as 1905 was in 1917. I just read the part where he mentions the fall of the Berlin Wall. The year is 1987 and in a few months the wall is suppose to come down. Actually this was Nov. 9, 1989.

I thought if the publisher new this they could change it in future publications. Thanks for you help.

It could be typo about 1987. The Bolshevik revolution (armed struggle) did start in 1905 but the movement did not consolidate until a few years later culminating in 1917 with the raise to power of Lenin and his cohorts. I will have the other detail checked. Thanks!

Edit: The passage mentions that by '87 the Easter Block had begun to crumble and few months later (some 18 months or so) the wall came down in the fall of '89 not that the wall itself came down in '87. Check the passage.

Edited by Islander

• 4 weeks later...