Faith questions

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for bringing this up again. Marty, I wish not to comment on Elder McConkie excerpt without seeing the rest of the article or hearing it. I have done this in the past and found, through audible means, it was not the same as reading it and corrected my statement. Now, I am not endorsing this statement either. You are correct though, this is not true statement.

Heavenly Father does not create or governs by faith. Using Elder McConkie own words, this is one of those hearsay. GOD has the knowledge to work out the creation for this kingdom [state]. There is no additional knowledge to be gained but experiences and glory. Power is not faith but honor is power. This honor only comes from the Intelligences, which honors HIM. The authority to exercise this power is the Holy Priesthood. There is no faith needed to exercise power or the priesthood. As living Intelligences, whether be it on a lower level kingdom to the highest kingdom is eternal. He does not exercise faith in these matters. However, we do until we reached that perfect state of faith or pure knowledge. It is then; we need no longer to look at the GOD with faith or through 'blinded natural eyes' of man.

His comments are from Lectures on Faith....which I posted on the previous page.Elder McConkie was paraphrasing Joseph Smith.

His comments are from Lectures on Faith....which I posted on the previous page.Elder McConkie was paraphrasing Joseph Smith.

I have over 12000 plus electronic books and 245K articles. Nothing against Elder McConkie, we live in the age of wonders and great miracles; through the marvelous invention of the database engine and search routines. ^_^

It is not in the Lectures on Faith: Delivered to the School of the Prophets in Kirtland, Ohio, 1834-35...

Edited by Hemidakota

Yes, this is how it is done. No need of faith.

How do you convey to the understanding more clearly that faith is the first great governing principle which has power, dominion, and authority over all things? By it they exist, by it they are upheld, by it they are changed, or by it they remain, agreeable to the will of God; and without it there is no power, and without power there could be no creation nor existence! -Joseph Smith

How do you convey to the understanding more clearly that faith is the first great governing principle which has power, dominion, and authority over all things? By it they exist, by it they are upheld, by it they are changed, or by it they remain, agreeable to the will of God; and without it there is no power, and without power there could be no creation nor existence! -Joseph Smith

He was quoting GOD requires faith and not man/woman. This is not correct. GOD does not require faith to operate or rule over HIS dominion.

My understanding of what faith is must not be complete according to the above.

Explain how God has faith. I'm not trying to disprove here. I was the one that brought up this question for my learning not to disprove.

Still why would God need faith as Elder McConkie say's he has?

From the Prophet Joseph Smith:

Turn your thoughts on your own minds, and see if faith is not the moving cause of all action in yourselves; and if the moving cause in you, is it not in all other intelligent beings?

And as faith is the moving cause of all action in temporal concerns, so it is in spiritual; for the Savior has said, and that truly, that "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved" (Mark 16:16).

As we receive by faith all temporal blessings that we do receive, so we in like manner, receive by faith all spiritual blessings that we do receive.

But faith is not only the principle of action, but of power also, in all intelligent beings, whether in heaven or on earth. Thus says the author of the epistle to the Hebrews 11:3,

"Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

By this we understand that the principle of power, which existed in the bosom of God, by which the worlds were framed, was faith;

and that it is by reason of this principle of power existing in the Deity, that all created things exist - so that all things in heaven, on earth, or under the earth, exist by reason of faith, as it existed in Him.

Had it not been for the principle of faith, the worlds would never have been framed, neither would man have been formed of the dust.

It is the principle by which Jehovah works, and through which he exercises power over all temporal, as well as eternal things.

Take this principle or attribute (for it is an attribute) from the Deity, and he would cease to exist.

Who cannot see that if God framed the worlds by faith, that it is by faith that he exercises power over them, and that faith is the principle of power?

Edited by bytor2112

From Js. Smith:

"First, it is the principle of power in the deity as well as in man. Hebrews 11:3: "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."

Is he reading this passage of Hebrews in a way that "through faith" modifies "were framed by... god"? If so, we can describe this grammatical situation as the modification of a verb in a dependent clause (a proposition with the verb "were framed," the proposition being the object of the verb "understand," which can take propositions as objects) by a prepositional or adverbial phrase at the beginning of the sentence, which is a highly irregular and completely ambiguous way of writing English if we accept that a prepositional phrase at the start of a sentence always modifies the verb of the sentence itself rather than that of a dependent clause in correct English. Agree? Is it a bad translation? Or, is the correct reading (and perhaps JS', though it seems otherwise from the context) that which has "through faith" modifying "understand"?

Edited by mountthepavement

It's important to realize that faith isn't something not seen.

Faith is the evidence of things hoped for, the substance of things not seen.

Faith is the evidence...

Faith is the substance...

So, if there is something you hope for, it is not seen or not realized yet... or you wouldn't hope for it.

What you do to bring about the thing you hope for is your faith.

If you do nothing to bring it about then it is not faith.

This is why the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a gospel of doing, or a gospel of works. As we work He blesses our efforts, and increases the results of our efforts... or He increases our ability to work or our faith. We are enabled, or given power, to reach our goal.

If we do nothing then there is nothing for Him to expand or increase.

Okay, I think I get it:

Faith is intended to contrast with mere belie,f in that belief can be something one does entirely internally, which seems to imply tentatively, while faith is active and externally demonstrates belief, hence the emphasis on works.

However, couldn't we have correct works with no righteousness but rather calculation behind them? Further, might it be that the old faith vs. works debate is a chicken-or-egg problem?

I didn't say obedience is not important. I am saying trusting your works of obedience to supplement God's (Jesus') death for your sins and shed blood is to fall from God's grace completely, and that where the problem lies. You cannot ignore Paul, and you're not showing a Biblical understanding of James as related to being saved by God 's grace through our faith that works by love!!!! I am speaking truth here that must be understood or salvation is not possible! Thus saith the Lord!!!

I'll take that as a reply to my question about James. Sounds good, though only hinted at.

Is faith like "the force"? PS: is that silver surfer?

Agree or disagree:

Faith is a state or action experienced or committed by subjectivities that has no object (you might say the subjectivity has no subject, in the sense of citizen of a dominion); it can further be characterized by an "existential" paradox: that it does not exist as a possible object of a subjectivity itself (follows from its being a state of subjectivity). It has that type of existence, I mean. To clarify this: faith is the state synonymous with the concept "objectless" in the human mind (hence the paradox).

Edited by mountthepavement