Why People Like Strict Religions

Guest bizabra

They just say that they do what they do because God wants them to do it.

This is exactly how I feel. When I went from being liberal back to being conservative, this is how I felt. I felt that God blessed me more because I began putting my faith in Him rather than searching here and there for fulfillment. I felt called to obey His word. It may not satisfy other peoples questions, but it is true, nonetheless.

My own thoughts are that the people who are 'drawn' to strict religions, as converts, are perhaps looking for some sort of 'community spirit' in the churches they are visiting...and once they find that one that appeals to them and offers this community spirit, they are willing to submit to the rigorous rules of that Church, and obviously some of them do start to believe in the religious books that they are then taught from, and so do begin to believe they are doing what they are doing because it pleases God.

Originally posted by bizabra@May 12 2005, 08:27 PM

I thought this article was interesting. What do you think?

http://slate.msn.com/id/2118313/

I believe the article is both on to something and misguided. The concept of strict is in great error. The word “strict” implies limits, confinement and loss of liberty or ability to make decisions. Almost opposite in meaning is the word I prefer – discipline. Discipline is not a limiting word but an empowering word. Reading is not a restriction. (note that strict is at the root of restriction). Reading is a discipline. Likewise, writing, math, science, love, relationships, friendships, G-dly compassion, G-dly forgiveness and any other responsible behavior is a discipline. All of these and many other good and moral things are not restrictions in life but are disciplines and disciplines are always liberating not ever restricting.

There may be religions that can be classified as strict in that the effort is to restrict and control its members. For the most part I believe true religion is not strict but a discipline. Basic religious concepts, such as: Thou shall not kill. Thou shall not covet. Thou shall not commit adultery. Some may view such concepts as restrictive but this is not a true understanding. Such concepts are disciplines. In truth, when applied with wisdom, they are liberating, both to an individual and to a society. But to a fool they are restrictions.

I believe weak souls will view liberating discipline as restrictions. Since such are unable to govern themselves they believe no one can govern themselves, therefore if there is to be order it can only come from restrictions. But any order from restriction is nothing more than the enslaving of the undisciplined. There is no freedom or any success without discipline and discipline needs no restriction – and it can be argued that with discipline there cannot be restrictions.

A damned sole is a sole that survives and lives confined and restricted. I have never found anything about the LDS faith to be strict. I have, however, found the discipline of LDS faith a worthy challenge and I feel sorrow for those that quit when they realize the difficulty of the challenge of G-dly discipline offered in the LDS faith. On the other hand I rejoice in those that seek to be disciplined as a “Saint” in the Last Days of preparation for the triumphant return of the Christ.

The Traveler

• 2 years later...

Strict Religion always makes me think of Timothy:

1 Tim. 1: 7-9

7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

I thought this article was interesting. What do you think?

http://slate.msn.com/id/2118313/

I think its interesting that actually the more orthodox religions are growing its the more liberal forms that are losing members - a very strict medieval Benedictine monastry near where I live has a waiting list for Monks whereas more liberal monastries are closing down.

kind of interesting but as a religious person it missed the point my Heavenly Father or whatever the person in a different religion calls him- I grew up looking for religion not to replace anything but to find ways to grow closer to my God to find out more about him. The 'confines' of a religion free a person to do that - there is something in every aspect of my life that comes back to the Lord - allows me to think of him and keep that prayer in my heart. I don't really need the community in someways can find it frustrating lol

Charley

I think its interesting that actually the more orthodox religions are growing its the more liberal forms that are losing members - a very strict medieval Benedictine monastry near where I live has a waiting list for Monks whereas more liberal monastries are closing down.

A waiting list for monks? Don't Catholic monks have to be celibate? Weird.

As for conservative churches growing and liberal ones shrinking, one big factor is that conservative churches tend to have a low regard for birth control -- so more babies equals more members. Reform Judaism is dying out, while Orthodox Judaism is growing for that very reason. In fact, I'll bet polygamist Mormons have more babies than mainstream LDS (in recent years many LDS have tried to have an affair with the world on the issue of birth control).

Guest Yediyd

As for conservative churches growing and liberal ones shrinking, one big factor is that conservative churches tend to have a low regard for birth control -- so more babies equals more members. Reform Judaism is dying out, while Orthodox Judaism is growing for that very reason. In fact, I'll bet polygamist Mormons have more babies than mainstream LDS (in recent years many LDS have tried to have an affair with the world on the issue of birth control).

I'm LDS, and my tubes are tied...am I going to Hell? :unsure:

Don't bother to answer that question, it was rhetorical. ;)

hmm here was me thinking religion was about more than sex - and I think you made my point with the monastry, its not exactly growing because the monks are having babies:)

Charley

kind of interesting but as a religious person it missed the point my Heavenly Father or whatever the person in a different religion calls him- I grew up looking for religion not to replace anything but to find ways to grow closer to my God to find out more about him. The 'confines' of a religion free a person to do that - there is something in every aspect of my life that comes back to the Lord - allows me to think of him and keep that prayer in my heart. I don't really need the community in someways can find it frustrating lol

Charley

I completely agree, Charley. :animatedthumbsup: IMO having a religion that has more rules or guidelines for behavior allows someone (who follows that religion) to think constantly about God and their connection to God. What others see as restricting or limiting, a believer sees as a viable and special means of connecting to God on a constant basis.

I think prohibitions of food/drink, especially, allow people to think of God and their commitment to God constantly, as everyone must (and hopefully can) eat everyday.

<div class='quotemain'>

hmm here was me thinking religion was about more than sex - and I think you made my point with the monastry, its not exactly growing because the monks are having babies:)

Charley

Actually, sexual energy is very associated with the creative process that brought everything into existence. It was the Catholic philosophers (borrowing from Paganistic, not Christian) ideals that made sex into something to look down upon (something that is actually not the case in either Judaism or Islam -- or Mormonism if one really examines it). I believe many monks are practicing a form of escapism (running away from life or running away from sexual appitites that they hope such a lifestyle will cure). I could go into a lot more detail but even with a psychologically-based analysis it would still come across anti-Catholic which I would not wish to do.

Guest Yediyd

Actually, sexual energy is very associated with the creative process that brought everything into existence. It was the Catholic philosophers (borrowing from Paganistic, not Christian) ideals that made sex into something to look down upon (something that is actually not the case in either Judaism or Islam -- or Mormonism if one really examines it). I believe many monks are practicing a form of escapism (running away from life or running away from sexual appitites that they hope such a lifestyle will cure). I could go into a lot more detail but even with a psychologically-based analysis it would still come across anti-Catholic which I would not wish to do.

Fiannan, can you "dummy" that down for me?