Day 4 1 Nephi 19-22, 2 Nephi 1-2, D&C 13-16

Who are Zenos, Zenock and Neum?

Outside of what is written in the Book of Mormon, we have no record of…these ancient prophets….Their writings must have been recorded on the [brass] plates.

Joseph Fielding Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 4:138

First Nephi chapters 19 through 22 introduce us to Zenos, Zenock, and Neum and give us our first quotations from Isaiah. Little is known of the prophets Zenos, Zenock, and Neum, although their importance to the Book of Mormon prophets is evident in that Nephi, Jacob, Alma, Amulek, Nephi the son of Helaman, Samuel, and Mormon all quote from them. They are important to the Nephites for at least three reasons:

First, the Nephites appear to be descendants of these prophets and of Joseph who was sold into Egypt (3 Nephi 10:16-17).

Second, these prophets spoke of that which would happen to all the house of Israel as well as to Lehi's seed (1 Nephi 19:16-17; Helaman 15:11).

And third, and probably most important, they testified of Christ, and hundreds of years before his birth prophesied in detail of his atonement and the circumstances surrounding it (1 Nephi 19:10-12; Alma 33:12-17). We also learn that these messianic prophets gave their lives for their testimonies of Christ (Alma 33:17; Helaman 8:19).

Exactly when and where Zenos, Zenock, and Neum lived is not known except we do know that they lived prior to Lehi's departure from Jerusalem, otherwise their writings would not have appeared on the brass plates. It is likely that they lived after the time of Abraham and before the days of Isaiah, and that Zenos preceded Zenock. This assumption is based on the following scripture, and assumes that since Isaiah and Jeremiah are listed in chronological order, the other prophets are also.

And now I would that ye should know, that even since the days of Abraham there have been many prophets that have testified these things; yea, behold, the prophet Zenos did testify boldly; for the which he was slain.

And behold, also Zenock, and also Ezias, and also Isaiah, and Jeremiah, (Jeremiah being that same prophet who testified of the destruction of Jerusalem) and now we know that Jerusalem was destroyed according to the words of Jeremiah. O then why not the Son of God come, according to his prophecy? (Helaman 8:19-20.)

Since these prophets were descended from Joseph, it is postulated by some that they may have lived in the north of Israel, rather than in Judah and that is the reason their prophecies were not recorded in Jewish scripture. It may also be possible that these plain and precious prophecies were deleted by unrighteous Jews who did not want these statements on the death of Christ in their scriptures (see 1 Nephi 19:13-14). Until the Lord reveals more information, however, we won't know the whole story.

Monte S. Nyman and Charles D. Tate, Jr., eds., First Nephi: The Doctrinal Foundation, p.272-273

Zenos

I do not think I overstate the matter when I say that next to Isaiah himself—who is the prototype, pattern, and model for all the prophets—there was not a greater prophet in all Israel than Zenos. And our knowledge of his inspired writings is limited to the quotations and paraphrasing summaries found in the Book of Mormon.

Bruce R. McConkie, The Doctrinal Restoration, Chap. 1 in The Joseph Translation, p. 17

Edited by pam

1 Nephi 20:1
“Out of the waters of baptism”
This clause first appeared in the 1840 and 1842 editions of the Book of Mormon. It did not appear again until the 1920 edition, and it has been in all editions since that time. It appears to be a prophetic commentary by Joseph Smith to explain the meaning of the phrase “out of the waters of Judah.”…If this phrase were a restoration of the original text, as found in the more pure version on the brass plates from which it comes, it would have appeared in the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon….Through the use of this phrase, Joseph Smith is calling our attention to the fact that the ordinance of baptism was as common to the people of the Old Testament as it was to the people of the Book of Mormon.
Robert Millet and J.F. McConkie, Doctrinal Commentary of the Book of Mormon, 1:151-152

I remember when I was still a member of the Baptist faith and attending Bible College, one of the most important lessons that I learned from my professors was that the best commentary on the Scriptures is the Scriptures themselves. I find that to certainly be true as I read and study the Scriptures and endeavor to liken them unto myself. There is so much we can learn if we prayerfully seek for knowledge and understanding as we read and ponder the Scriptures. That is one reason that I love to read the Scriptures again and again.

Yesterday I mentioned that the theme that stuck out in my mind was the commandments of God must be fulfilled.Today's reading follows in that same pattern of thought by teaching us that ". . . .a man must be obedient to the commandments of God" (1 Nephi 22:30), and ". . . .if ye shall be obedient to the commandments, and endure to the end, ye shall be saved at the last day, and thus it is amen" (1 Nephi 22:31). As we learn in 1 Nephi chapter 18, it is our obedience to the commandments of God that yields the greatest blessings.

One of things that God commands us to do is to preach His Gospel and to declare repentance unto the people. As given in a revelation through the Prophet Joseph Smith to both John and Peter Witmer this is "the thing which will be of the most worth unto you" (see D&C 15, 16). As we preach His Gospel and declare repentance unto the people, we are to speak His words which He has given us according to His commandments.

As we live our lives, we should strive to be less like Nephi's brothers Laman and Lemuel who were constantly murmuring, complaining, and disobeying the commandments of the Lord, and more like Nephi who even through trials and hardships remained faithful and obedient to the commandments of the Lord. The Lord said "Go" and Nephi went. The Lord said "Do" and Nephi did. He did not stop to constantly ask the Lord "why?", but instead he determined in his mind and heart that whatever the Lord commanded, that is what he should be doing. As we labor in our Heavenly Father's vineyard, may we be found to be faithful and obedient servants doing those things which He commands us to do.

I'm a day behind..and I'm having a hard time focusing on this reading assignment. It's not as clear to me as the previous chapters were.

More with Chapter 21 than the others.

Edited by pam

1 Ne 22:8 Lamanites nourished by the Gentiles

Spencer W. Kimball

“A loving father does not despise his children. These [Lamanites] are a chosen people, and this Church has an important part in restoring them to their rightful inheritance. The chasm between what they are and what they will be is opportunity. The gospel furnishes that opportunity; it is ours to give.” (Ensign, Dec. 1975, p. 7 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p.70

Why was Israel scattered? The answer is clear; it is plain; of it there is no doubt. Our Israelite forebears were scattered because they rejected the gospel, defiled the priesthood, forsook the church, and departed from the kingdom. They were scattered because they turned from the Lord, worshipped false gods, and walked in all the ways of the heathen nations. They were scattered because they forsook the Abrahamic covenant, trampled under their feet the holy ordinances, and rejected the Lord Jehovah, who is the Lord Jesus, of whom all their prophets testified. Israel was scattered for apostasy. The Lord in his wrath, because of their wickedness and rebellion, scattered them among the heathen in all the nations of the earth.

Bruce R. McConkie, New Witness, p. 515

2 Nephi 1:7

If it so be

Prophecy is of two kinds: conditional and unconditional. Unconditional prophecies are divine proclamations of that which will be, irrespective of what men or nations do. The first and second comings of Christ, resurrection, and the day of judgment are classic examples of the unconditional prophecy. Conditional prophecies are prophetic assurances or warnings of what will or will not be, dependent upon the obedience or disobedience of those to whom the prophecy is given. The promise of liberty to the inhabitants of the American continent was obviously conditional.

Millet & McConkie, BOM Commentary, Vol. 1, p. 184

2 Nephi 2:1–2. Great Blessings from Difficulties
President Spencer W. Kimball said: “We knew before we were born that we were coming to earth for bodies and experience and that we would have joysand sorrows, ease and pain, comforts and hardships,
health and sickness, successes and disappointments, and we knew also that after a period of life we would die. We accepted all these eventualities with a glad heart, eager to accept both the favorable and unfavorable. We eagerly accepted the chance to come earthward even though it might be for only a day or a year. Perhaps we were not so much concerned whether we should die of disease, of accident, or of senility. We were willing to take life as it came and as we might organize and control it, and this without murmur, complaint, or unreasonable demands” ( Faith Precedes the Miracle, p. 106).

Edited by pam

In regards to 2 Nephi 2:12:

To add a touch of humor to our discussion:

Ronald Reagan has been quoted as saying, “sometimes when I’m faced with an atheist, I am tempted to invite him to the greatest gourmet dinner that one could ever serve. And when we have finished eating that magnificent dinner to ask him if he believes there’s a cook.” (Quote Book #4, compiled by James H. Patterson, p. 5)

I absolutely LOVED this scripture: 2 Nephi 2:13

13 And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.

Is that not so true?

Could someone clear up something for me? In the introduction to D&C 13 it states that John the Baptist came as an angel to ordain Joseph and Oliver to the Aaronic Priesthood. Now in past readings I am to understand that John the Baptist would walk the earth and not face death. How could he come as an angel then?

Could someone clear up something for me? In the introduction to D&C 13 it states that John the Baptist came as an angel to ordain Joseph and Oliver to the Aaronic Priesthood. Now in past readings I am to understand that John the Baptist would walk the earth and not face death. How could he come as an angel then?

Is John the Baptist, the one who baptized Christ, the same person who wrote the Book of John? Is he the same one who ordained Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery to the Aaronic Priesthood?

Answer:

No he isn't. John the Baptist was beheaded before the New Testament was complete. In fact, John the Baptist was beheaded before the writing of the Greek Scriptures started.

The author of The Gospel According to St. John, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, and Revelation in the New Testament is John the Beloved, one of the original Twelve Apostles under the authority of Jesus Christ. Although the author identifies himself as John in the Revelation (Rev. 1:1, 4, 9), he is known only as "the Elder" in 1, 2, and 3 John and as "the disciple whom Jesus loved" in the Gospel. He was the son of Zebedee and Salome, and brother of James, another of the Twelve Apostles. They originally were fishermen and fished with their father in the Lake of Genesareth.

In his writings, John emphasizes spiritual qualities, including some contrasting pairs of qualities that illustrate the two opposing spiritual forces in the world. Examples include light and darkness, love and hate, truth and falsehood, and God and the devil. John also emphasizes such ideas as bearing true witness, knowing the Lord, enduring to the end, and being raised up by the Savior.

Although the Gospels of Matthew and Luke list Peter, Andrew, James, and John at the beginning of their lists, Mark and Acts place Peter, James, and John at the beginning of the list of the Twelve. These three apostles were alone with Jesus on special occasions, such as at the raising of Jairus' daughter (Mark 5:37-43), on the Mount of Transfiguration (Matt. 17:1-9), and at Jesus' suffering in the garden of Gethsemane (Matt. 26:37-45). Only John and Peter were sent into the city to make the preparation for the final Passover meal [Last Supper] (Luke 22:8). At the meal itself, John's place was next to Jesus on whose chest he leaned (John 13:23-25). The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that these three ancient apostles received the keys of the priesthood during the transfiguration experience (TPJS, p. 158).

John is usually identified as one of the two disciples of John the Baptist mentioned in the Gospel of John who became disciples of Jesus after his baptism (John 1:35-40). James and John were called Boanerges ("Sons of Thunder") by Jesus, perhaps because of their strong and impulsive personalities. Either they (Mark 10:35-40) or their mother on their behalf (Matt. 20:20-23) asked Jesus to grant them places of honor in his heavenly kingdom. Although rebuked for their ambition, they averred their willingness to share in his trials and suffering, and Jesus affirmed that they would do so.

When Jesus was bound and taken to the high priest, John (who "was known unto the high priest") and Peter followed along (John 18:15). John continued to follow the Savior through the ensuing events and was the only one of the Twelve recorded as being present at the Crucifixion. Jesus asked him to take care of his mother, Mary, and John took her to his own home (John 19:26-27).

Following the resurrection of Christ, Peter and John ran to the tomb when told by Mary Magdalene that the covering stone had been removed. John ran faster and arrived first at the empty tomb (John 20:1-8). Later, the Lord told Peter that John would remain (on earth) until the Lord's second coming (John 21:20-23), giving rise to the early Christian tradition that John did not die. The Prophet Joseph Smith confirmed and corrected that tradition in a revelation that states that John, having been given "power over death," remains on earth "as flaming fire and a ministering angel…for those who shall be heirs of salvation" until the Savior returns (D&C 7). The resurrected Christ also mentioned John's continued earthly ministry during his visit to the people of the Book of Mormon (3 Ne. 28:6-8).

Thanks so much to Keith and Ruthie. Yeh I was confused there. But now that I've seen the explanations I realize I knew that all along. Had a moment there I suppose.

Yes, I’m behind on the reading :). Spent most of a week coping with fatigue and depression, thanks to hormones and (I suspect) interference from a certain adversary who objects to study of the Scriptures. Anyone else running into any difficulties coinciding with the challenge?

1 Nephi 18: God tells Nephi how to build the ship, which is not the same way ships are normally built based on the wisdom of men. Nephi prays often and receives guidance and instruction to accomplish the task the Lord has for him. L&L see that the completed ship is good and are humble. Jacob and Joseph have been born during the family’s wandering in the wilderness. The family loads up the ship, boards, and launches, with strong winds driving the ship in the desired direction. L&L, and those who side with them, begin dancing and reveling (while it’s not stated in the passage, I suspect some alcohol is involved) and disregard God (or even basic courtesy toward other family members) in pursuit of pleasure. Nephi fears that his brothers will incur God’s anger and attempts to reprove them. They tie him up and apparently abuse him. They also threaten anyone who speaks in Nephi’s favor, even their parents. The compass ceases to work and a storm comes up that threatens the survival of the ship. Even with this happening, it takes three days for L&L to acknowledge God’s power, reconsider their actions, and free Nephi. Nephi’s prayer calms the storm and the compass begins working again. They arrive at the promised land and begin planting crops. They find they have plenty of animals, ore, and other needed things.

1 Nephi 19: Nephi obeys the Lord’s command, makes plates, and begins recording. The plates are divided into secular and religious histories and are to be handed down through the generations, from prophet to prophet, until the Lord instructs otherwise. Nephi discusses man’s disregard for Divine counsel. He speaks of Christ’s coming and sacrifice, referring to the (lost to us) prophecies of Zenos and Zenock (based on similarity of names, are they related?). Nephi knows that Christ will go to all of Israel throughout the world. The Jews will be hated and scattered for rejecting Christ. In due time, Israel will be gathered in. In discussion of Zenos and Zenock, we see again the plain and precious things lost from the Bible that we get back via the Book of Mormon and the Restoration.

1 Nephi 20: Compare Isaiah 48. Israel is obstinate, but will be refined by affliction. The Lord does not speak or act in secret, but declares His works. Israel was led from Egypt to freedom by the Lord. There is no peace for the wicked.

1 Nephi 21: Compare Isaiah 49. Messiah will free prisoners, raise up Israel, and be a light to the Gentiles. The Lord does not forsake His children. Israel will be gathered, with kings and queens caring for Israel. Captives will be delivered.

1 Nephi 22: L&L ask if these chapters are temporal or spiritual and are told that they’re both. The scattering of Israel is already underway in Nephi’s time, with the Ten Tribes having been lost, Nephi’s colony and the Mulekites coming to the New World, and probably other groups whose records we do not yet have. Nephi summarizes the future of Israel. Other nations warring against Israel will be turned against one another and eventually destroyed. The righteous will be preserved when God’s wrath comes to the wicked. The Lord will prepare a way for His people (we’ve already seen this through the book of 1 Nephi).

2 Nephi 1: Lehi, knowing he is near death, speaks to his family about their journey from Jerusalem to the promised land and tells them he has seen the destruction of Jerusalem in vision. The land they’ve been led to has been consecrated and will be kept from the knowledge of other nations. Those who keep God’s commandments will prosper in the land, while turning away will bring the judgment of God. Lehi reproves the rebellious ones for their behavior toward Nephi and urges them to shake off the chains of sin. Nephi is the chosen next leader because of his faith and righteousness.

Section 13: Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery are ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood.

Section 14: early part is a repeat of material from section 11. The work of God is coming forth. Keep the commandments and endure to the end to obtain eternal life.

Section 15&16: identical except for name of person to whom section is addressed. Preach repentance and bring souls to God.

Moses 7: The city of Zion is established, with Enoch leading, teaching, and prophesying. He has sufficient faith to move mountains. God weeps over those who will not follow Him, to Enoch’s surprise. God explains His grief, and shows Enoch Noah’s time. Enoch also grieves. He is promised that his posterity will continue even after the Flood (Noah is descended from Enoch via Methuselah). Enoch sees Christ’s ministry. The earth mourns the wickedness of man and asks for rest. Enoch is shown our time. Zion is taken up to God. (Again, important material is being repeated, with the very early prophets being shown Christ’s ministry and our day.)

Moses 8: Enoch’s son Methuselah is not taken up with Zion, but remains on earth and becomes an ancestor of Noah (whom we learn in modern revelation is also the angel Gabriel). Noah prophesies and preaches repentance, but is rejected. His daughters marry unbelievers. Noah is ordained to the priesthood. Noah and his three sons (and presumably their wives) are the only remaining righteous people on earth. At this point, the story rejoins Genesis, with the JST offering, in my opinion, much more richness and clarity than the KJV. The book of Moses, as is the book of Abraham, is an excerpt from the JST.

Anyone else running into any difficulties coinciding with the challenge?

In the last day or so yes. More tired than usual, in fact exhaustion. I'm now a couple of days behind and need to get with the program here again.

Seanette said:

Yes, believe it or not I fell a little behind myself, but should be all caught up tonight. Between work, Church responsibilities, and just plain being exhausted at night it can be a little challenging. The object is to keep pressing on. I tried reading last night and had to quit because I found myself fading in and out and reading sections over and over again. Satan is crafty though. As soon as I put the Scriptures aside and started to work on a couple of other small things before I went to bed, suddenly I was wide awake again. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Seanette said:

Yes, believe it or not I fell a little behind myself, but should be all caught up tonight. Between work, Church responsibilities, and just plain being exhausted at night it can be a little challenging. The object is to keep pressing on. I tried reading last night and had to quit because I found myself fading in and out and reading sections over and over again. Satan is crafty though. As soon as I put the Scriptures aside and started to work on a couple of other small things before I went to bed, suddenly I was wide awake again. Anyone have any similar experiences?

I, too, have had that happen to me.

Sometimes I would get so frustrated about having to read a bunch of scriptures, that it stopped being pleasant to read, and I found I wasn't getting anything out of it. I asked the Lord what I should do about it. I was told to relax, to keep it up, and as soon as I was caught up in reading portions of the assignments to post here. Now I always get something out of what I am reading!

Speaking of which, I need to post here now about what I read. I love love love Second Nephi Chapter 2. I love how logical Lehi is. He lays it out and it makes sense. The Law of Opposition makes complete and total sense. How can there be a concept of evil of there isn't something to oppose it? How can there be the concept of love if there isn't anything to oppose it? How can there be nothing if there isn't something to show what nothing is? How many of us better appreciate sweetness after we've tasted something bitter? This can be literal using candies, or figurative.

I found it interesting that in the Doctrine & Covenants Sections 15 and 16 were the same, word for word except for the name. At first I was like, that's not very personal, but then I remembered that ofttimes siblings can be very similar and the specifics of how one goes about spreading the God's word will likely be different. To both of them, preaching the Gospel was of the most worth, but how and where and to who and when were very likely different between the two brothers.