When Is it Time to Move On?

WarrenZevon

This is quite a vague question, but, what is generally a good indication of when one should seek out an alternative prayer group? I've been experiencing concerns with the one I attend recently (sorry, that is the extent of information I feel comfortable sharing), and I'm not sure whether or not to continue attending. I realize that the question itself is extremely broad, so I am accepting broad answers as to what circumstances would indicate it is best to seek an alternative place of worship?

Been kinda having a similar feeling about my group at church. My personal opinion is that if you think there's a problem, you gotta do whatever you can to solve it. Failing that, you do have to do the best you can for yourself. But, I feel very strongly that one must put an effort to try to fix things, because you can't expect other people to fix something you find issue with, but are not willing to put in the effort yourself.

Thanks for your reply.

I have addressed my concerns to higher-ups at the church, but so far have been hitting a dead end. I've attempted to take matters into my own hands to a certain extent, but I can only do so much without others reciprocating my efforts to bring about a resolution, and thus far, no effort has been put forward on the part of the others in the fellowship to reach one.

This is quite a vague question, but, what is generally a good indication of when one should seek out an alternative prayer group? I've been experiencing concerns with the one I attend recently (sorry, that is the extent of information I feel comfortable sharing), and I'm not sure whether or not to continue attending. I realize that the question itself is extremely broad, so I am accepting broad answers as to what circumstances would indicate it is best to seek an alternative place of worship?

What is a prayer group? You mean, a group of people you get together with and pray with? Sort of like a placeholder for a family, like an FHE group or some such thing?

Prayer group is essentially where people get together to pray and discuss the bible. It is similar to an FHE group in that Scripture is discussed and yet different in that it is for adults. For purposes of context, I should mention that I am not a member of the Church of LDS (although I am interested in becoming one some day).

Prayer group is essentially where people get together to pray and discuss the bible. It is similar to an FHE group in that Scripture is discussed and yet different in that it is for adults. For purposes of context, I should mention that I am not a member of the Church of LDS (although I am interested in becoming one some day).

My advice, especially in a case like this (where I don't know what is going on and don't have a grasp of the social aspects of the situation), is truly worth exactly what you pay for it.

With that caveat, I would think that if you're having some sort of problem with a voluntary prayer group that is not amenable to a satisfactory solution, you're better off finding another prayer group. Unlike joining the LDS Church, joining a prayer group is not a covenant you've made with God, or even (it sounds like) a deep friendship. It's a union of convenience, a nice way to gain perspective and insights. If the group isn't giving you perspective or insights, then from your end, at least, it's not doing any good.

Now, if you think your presence gives benefit to others in the group, then that's a matter worth considering. But other than that, I can't think of a good reason to stay in a group that isn't providing you any benefit.

As I said, it's advice worth what you paid.

All I can say since I've been in your position is to remember that your relationship with Heavenly Father is just between you and Him- not you, him, and the prayer group. If you solid in your faith you should be able to transcend from all that situation into a place that will keep your faith satisfied. We all get caught up in that but the trick is to look beyond "people" because dealing with "people," "fellowmen" or whatever you wish to call them means that you're going to be dealing with personalities. These personality have the power, in some instances, to affect your experience...(and we need the dot, dot, dots) but only if you allow them.

You are there for your faith. The moment you realize and come to terms with your purpose you will see how things will get better. Why? Because your focus will be in maintaining a good relationship with Heavenly Father and not with the prayer group.

Now, should you continue attending it? Abso-bloody-lutely! Why seek for alternatives when you're not one to Heavenly Father. To him you are THE ONE! Don't stop going. Allow yourself to transcend from all your human feelings and show by example how fellowship should really look like. Lead by example. Leaving serves no purpose.