Day 10 - 2 Nephi 33; Jacob 1-5, D&C 37-40

Can I just say how sad I was reading that Nephi died? Not that I didn't know that already. But during this reading challenge; it is the first time I felt such a love for Nephi that I can't even describe. It's very strange. I've read and learned about Nephi all my life but have never felt such a connection to him before. So I was saddened when I read the words "And it came to pass that Nephi died."

Jacob 2 discusses pride.

From the Church News:

“I have concluded that religious people are particularly susceptible to pride. Sometimes our very goodness, or our feeling that we have the truth, sets us up for a bad case of pride. One of the problems with pride is that the more we are infected with it, the least likely we are to be aware of it. President [Ezra Taft] Benson said, ‘Pride is a very misunderstood sin, and many are sinning in ignorance.’

“Obviously, then, we must assume we all have a problem with it. We simply cannot fully love the Lord as long as there is any competing pride.” (Larry W. Tippetts, Church News, Sept. 2, 1989)

I never really looked at pride in this way. But it makes much sense to me. When we talk about how we have the truth..or we not in some ways looking down on ALL other religions? Would that not be a form of pride? Perhaps learning to be tolerant of other religions would assist us in a little humility.

I love Jacob 3 and the words about prejudism. So appropriate for today.

Jacob 3:9 revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins

The Nephites had passed judgment on the Lamanites because of the color of their skin. Such racial prejudice has been the source of endless conflict and injustice in our generation. The scriptures never justify this type of pride, all are alike unto God (2 Ne 26:33), and all flesh is mine, and I am no respecter of persons (DC 38:16).

A quote from Professor Ruth Benedict and Dr. Gene Weltfish:

“Race prejudice is, after all, a determination to keep a people down, and it misuses the label 'inferior' to justify unfairness and injustice. Race prejudice makes people ruthless; it invites violence… It turns on this point of inferiority and superiority. The man with race prejudice says of a man of another race, 'No matter who he is, I don't have to compare myself with him. I'm superior anyway. I was born that way…’” (Franklin S. Harris, Jr., The Book of Mormon: Message and Evidences, p. 27)

A prominent journalist, Richard C. Hottlelet, said:

“The matter of prejudice is not a monopoly of the South. There is nothing that we in the North or you in the West can be smug about or sanctimonious about. There is prejudice and discrimination running throughout our society. Black and white is the most spectacular, but there is racial discrimination of other kinds. Every big city in the North and in the Midwest knows of various kinds of discrimination against minorities. There is religious discrimination, too, endemic in the American society, perhaps a product, some of the slag, some of the froth left in the American melting pot which is still bubbling away. But the aspect that I want to address myself to, very briefly, is the aspect of sheer efficiency, of sheer political and economic performance. You cannot bring out of a productive society all that could be if so much of it is turned in upon and against itself…There is loss to the American community of the brain power of children who are denied access to schools, of the productive, creative capacity of men who are not permitted, not given the opportunity to fulfill their promise in their professions, in the fields of science, in the fields of technology. Who is to gauge how much the United States has already lost, and who is to say that the United States can go on blithely booking this loss as though it meant nothing at all?” (Richard C. Hottelet, BYU Speeches of the Year, Feb. 6, 1964)

Spencer W. Kimball

“We do wish that there would be no racial prejudice…. Racial prejudice is of the devil. Racial prejudice is of ignorance. There is no place for it in the gospel of Jesus Christ." (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 237)

It amazes me to find prejudism within the members of the Church. Yet it exists to some degree. I agree with President Kimball that there is no place for it in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Jacob 5 talks about Zenos' parable of the olive tree: To further understand I've provided the following:

1. The vineyard: the world

2. Master of the vineyard: Jesus Christ

3. The servant: The Lord's Prophets

4. Tame olive tree: The house of Israel, the Lord's covenant people

5. Wild olive tree: Gentiles, or non Israel (later in the parable, wild branches are apostate Israel)

6. Branches: Groups of people

7. The roots of the tame olive tree: The gospel covenant and promises made by God that constantly give life and sustenance to the tree

8. Fruit of the tree: The lives or works of men

9. Digging, pruning, fertilizing: The Lord's work with his children, which seens to persuade them to be obedient and produce good fruit

10. Transplanting the branches: Scattering of groups throughout the world, or restoring them to their original position

11. Grafting: The process of spiritual rebirth wherein one is joined to the covenant

12. Decaying branches: Wickedness and apostasy

13. Casting the branches into the fire: The judgment of God

D&C 37

Joseph Fielding Smith

The call to the Ohio was for two reasons. The opposition to the Church in and around Fayette had become bitter. There had been many converts made among the followers of Sidney Rigdon in Kirtland, and the spirit there was friendly. The trend of the Church was ever westward; as persecution arose, and it became necessary to seek protection the Church moved farther and farther west. The Lord had a design in this. The place of the City Zion was west and it was necessary that eventually the Church be located there. Although it would not be a permanent residence, until Zion is redeemed. Not only was Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon commanded to go to Ohio, but this came as a command to the entire Church. The Lord was anxious for them to assemble there, “against the time” when Oliver Cowdery should return from his mission to the Lamanites in the West. However, the Prophet was not to leave for Ohio until he had “strengthened up the Church whithersoever it is found, and more especially in Colesville, for behold, they pray unto me in much faith.” It appears that these members in Colesville needed some attention and encouragement before the change of residence should be taken. The Lord had some very special reasons why the Church should assemble in Kirtland. (Church History and Modern Revelation, 4 vols. [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1946-1949], 1: 151.)

Are these things not important enough for you to keep a record of them?

Scripture Reference: Jacob 4:2-4

"But whatsoever things we write upon anything save it be upon plates must perish and vanish away; but we can write a few words upon plates, which will give our children, and also our beloved brethren, a small degree of knowledge concerning us, or concerning their fathers— Now in this thing we do rejoice; and we labor diligently to engraven these words upon plates, hoping that our beloved brethren and our children will receive them with thankful hearts, and look upon them that they may learn with joy and not with sorrow, neither with contempt, concerning their first parents. For, for this intent have we written these things, that they may know that we knew of Christ, and we had a hope of his glory many hundred years before his coming; and not only we ourselves had a hope of his glory, but also all the holy prophets which were before us."

From the Life of Wilford Woodruff

Chapter 13: Journals: "Of Far More Worth than Gold", Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff, 125

In 1835 Wilford Woodruff began his first journal, "believing it to be beneficial to review our past life and not only our privilege but duty to keep an accurate account of our proceedings." He wrote, "It is to this intent that I shall endeavour henceforth to keep a journal of my travels, that when required I may give an account of my stewardship." He kept a journal for the next 63 years, making his final entry on August 31, 1898, two days before he died. His journal entries leave a true and faithful record of his personal life, showing his love for his family, his interest in his surroundings, his diligence in performing daily tasks, his faith during trials, and his testimony and understanding of the gospel. The entries also provide glimpses into the lives of other members of the Church at the time.

In addition to writing about his personal life and his ministry, Wilford Woodruff kept a careful record of Church history. He explained: "I have been inspired and moved upon to keep a journal and write the affairs of this Church as far as I can. I did not understand why my feelings were exercised so much in the early age of this Church, but I understand it now. I seldom ever heard Brother Joseph or the Twelve preach or teach any principle but what I felt as uneasy as a fish out of water until I had written it. Then I felt right. I could write a sermon of Joseph’s a week after it was delivered almost word for word, and after it was written, it was taken from me or from my mind. This was a gift from God unto me."

As part of his effort to chronicle Church history, President Woodruff recorded important details from meetings he attended. In one meeting, he taught a principle that can be applied to journals as well as to official Church records: "While walking in a rapid stream we cannot tread twice in the same water. Neither can we spend twice the same time. When we pass out of that door, the work of this meeting will be closed to us forever. We shall never spend the time of this evening again. Then should we not keep a record of our work, teachings, and counsel which we give in this meeting? We should."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nephi declared that the people needed records in order to keep the commandments of God; without them, they would "dwindle and perish in unbelief." (1 Nephi 4:13). President Spencer W. Kimball reiterated Nephi’s declarations when he said that "those who keep a book of remembrance are more likely to keep the Lord in remembrance in their daily lives." (Ensign, May 1978, p. 77.) Nephi’s awareness of the importance of records when he was commanded to slay Laban in order to obtain the brass plates teaches a great deal about how record-keepers can benefit posterity: "I remembered the words of the Lord which he spake unto me in the wilderness, saying that: Inasmuch as thy seed shall keep my commandments, they shall prosper in the land of promise. Yea, and I also thought that they could not keep the commandments of the Lord according to the law of Moses, save they should have the law" (1 Nephi 4:14-15). Jacob understood full well the importance of keeping records. In Jacob 1:2-3 we read, "And he gave me, Jacob, a commandment that I should write upon these plates a few of the things which I considered to be most precious; that I should not touch, save it were lightly, concerning the history of this people which are called the people of Nephi. For he said that the history of his people should be engraven upon his other plates, and that I should preserve these plates and hand them down unto my seed, from generation to generation."

In Third Nephi, the Savior reminded the Nephites of Samuel’s prophecy that at the time of the Savior’s resurrection, many Saints would arise from the dead and would appear to and minister to many. He asked the Nephites if this prophecy had not been fulfilled. When they acknowledged that it had, he asked, "How be it that ye have not written this thing, that many saints did arise and appear unto many and did minister unto them?" (3 Nephi 23:11)

If we are not keeping a journal now, perhaps the words of President Spencer W. Kimball will inspire and motivate us to do so:

"What could you do better for your children and your children’s children than to record the story of your life, your triumphs over adversity, your recovery after a fall, your progress when all seemed black, your rejoicing when you had finally achieved? Some of what you write may be humdrum dates and places, but there will also be rich passages that will be quoted by your posterity. Get a notebook … a journal … and maybe the angels may quote from it for eternity." (New Era, Oct. 1975, p. 5.)

Edited by KeithLBrown

More headway being made (only four days behind now, since it’s still 7/14).

2 Nephi 32 – The words of Christ tell us all we must do. Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost, thus speak the words of Christ. Nephi is prevented by the Spirit from giving more of God’s word, and mourns the unbelief, wickedness, ignorance, and stiff-neckedness (pride) of men who refuse the knowledge God wants them to have. It is an evil spirit that tells man not to pray, the Lord says all things done unto Him must be done with prayer.

2 Nephi 33 – Many harden their hearts against the Spirit. Nephi states that what he writes is what Christ tells him to write.

Jacob 1 – The plates have now been passed to Jacob, who is now narrating. There have been many revelations among his people. Jacob and his brothers labor to bring people to Christ. Nephi anoints king (somewhat confusing in light of 2 Nephi 5, in which Nephi expresses his desire to not have kings among his people and 2 Nephi 10, in which Jacob is told there are to be no kings in the land), and the kings from then forward take the name Nephi when they take the throne. Nephi dies. Jacob discusses the split between Nephites and Lamanites. The Nephites start to grow hard-hearted, and engage in sexual immorality.

Jacob 2 – Jacob testifies to the people of their wickedness: seeking for riches for their own pride rather than to do the work of God, and unchastity.

Jacob 3 – The pure in heart receive the word of God. At this time in history, the Lamanites are more righteous than the Nephites. Jacob warns against all sin.

Jacob 4 – Records are kept so that future generations will know their ancestors and the prophets in the past believed in Christ and worshiped Heavenly Father in Christ’s name. God shows us our weakness to teach us that all that we accomplish is by His grace. Do not seek to counsel the Lord (this concept’s repeated several times through Scripture). The Gospel is the only sure foundation. We should not “look beyond the mark”, past the plainness of God’s Word, to create complexities and loopholes to get out of doing what God says.

Section 37 – The Saints are to gather at the Ohio.

Section 38 – Christ is the Creator of all. Enoch’s Zion was taken to Him. There will come a time when the wicked will be chained. Christ commands love and charity. We are to treasure up wisdom. Christ instructs that men be called to administer temporal welfare to the needy. We should seek first the riches of eternity and beware of pride. We are to preach the Gospel and warn others .

Section 39 – James Covill (who has been a Baptist minister for 40 years) covenants to obey revelation given to him by the Prophet Joseph Smith. He (and all of us) must receive the restored Gospel to receive Christ. Covill is commanded to be baptized into the Church, receive the Holy Spirit, and do God’s work in spreading the Gospel.

Section 40 – Covill breaks his covenant due to fear of persecution and the cares of the world, including his position in his church and community.

Moses 3-4 – All things were created spiritually before they were created physically. Adam and Eve are created, married, and placed in the Garden of Eden with instructions about which trees to eat from. The animals are named. The fall of Satan is explained (yet more information about him lost to editing and now restored). The Fall of Adam and Eve and their expulsion from the Garden are described. The Fall brings death into the world.