Fathers...Giving a Name an Blessing...

YsoSerious

Ok...this coming fast and testimony sunday I will give my son a name and blessing. This is my 4th time doing and I just want to know from you "experienced" fathers out there what you say on the blessing part. I know good health, testimony in the gospel and the usual suspects and I know let the spirit guild you, but I want to cover the bases here.

If this is your 4th time, you're twice as experienced as me. ;) That said . . .

I talked to my wife both times and asked if she had any blessings she'd like our children to receive; if the Spirit approved I worked them into the blessing.

I personally look at the blessing as something that gets them through the early period of their life, until they can be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. So I generally try to avoid making long-term promises about serving a mission, getting married, etc. Your mileage may vary; but my philosophy is that you will have many more opportunities to give such blessings at the appropriate time--gift of HG, priesthood ordinations (and I plan to give my daughters special father's blessings on their 12th, 14th, 16th, and 19th birthdays to parallel the blessings the boys would get at their priesthood ordinations), and so forth.

(Of course, I'm a bit of an apostate in that we recorded our kids' blessings--which is technically a no-no if the blessing is done in church. So take this advice for what you paid for it. :D)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

In my view this a personal decision between you ,your wife, and the spirt. I know it has been different for me with each of my children.Some brothers in clud, missions Temple Marriage in all there blessings to children. I say follow the spirt first ,last and always you can't go wrong.

(Of course, I'm a bit of an apostate in that we recorded our kids' blessings--which is technically a no-no if the blessing is done in church. So take this advice for what you paid for it. :D)

:eek: The shame of it all. :P

I make sure I never think about what I am going to say beyond the formal part. I don't want my mind cluttered with what I think I should say and deny what the spirit would have wished me to say. I honestly shy away from thinking about it. That way my mind is a blank ( my wife would say its that way 90% of the time anyway) and I only say what the Lord wishes me to say.

Sometimes this means a pause in starting but the Lord has yet to fail me.