Patriarchal Blessing (HELP!)

Our Bishop told one of the young women here in the ward that if she had an honest proposal for marriage from a good young man, that she should be married instead of fulfill a mission as the primary mission in life for women is marriage and children.

This seems like a very dangerous piece of advice to me. I think this has to come with the standard caveat that these decisions are made on a case-by-case basis by the individual. Certainly sisters are under no obligation to serve a mission, but just because a worthy and good man has asked her to marry him doesn't mean that she should choose him over the mission. If she feels strongly that she should choose the mission over him, then that's what she should do.

Agreed @ MarginOfError, and thats the stance i will take, though im not completely comfortable that my heartstrings could be pulled for so long then get dropped. Under the circumstance that mission is a STRONGER desire then sure, she should go. Though i would find that rare from what i have seen and heard in life. Indeed it is a case-by-case situation. Because of the counsel of marriage over mission is as such i think thats why it is seen less.

Guest dec2057

A Bishop is here to guide and direct.

Just that.

It is always up to the individual to pray and receive personal revelation as to what they should do.

In summary, I think the decision lies on your girlfriend. It shouldn't be because her parents, with PB in hand, is telling her to go. And neither should it be because of a boyfriend's wishes. The PB, in this case, has not much to do with the decision other than to provide her with inspiration.

My husband's PB said something about converting NATIONS. He interpreted it as going on a foreign mission since he was a young teen. Even his parents pressured him to prepare for a mission. But, things happened such that he decided not to go on a mission and his parents, as well as his bishop, was clearly disappointed. Well, as it so happened, he met me - a foreigner - and we got married. And, 3 years later, I joined the church. I read his PB and was so excited when I saw that part of his PB and immediately told him - look! It's really true! You've converted at least one nation... and that's when he realized that is exactly right! I mean, he has my entire slew of grandparents, great aunts and uncles, etc. who has passed on that he's preparing to baptize and such!

Ya, ive had that thought. I have served a mission. I'm 23 now and have been home for 18 months. Shes 19 1/2 so its still alil time before she would even go. Seems alil odd for her to think seriously about it this far away (some hold the same opinion about marriage at 19, i get that, wouldn't happen until she is 20). But i cant agree more with maturing and the experience of a mission. Thanx for the thought.

I'm actually rather opposed to this idea. This is her patriarchal blessing, her mission, and her realm of revelation. JavonCollins holds no keys or authority that would put him in a position to receive any such revelation for her. If he's going to fast and pray with her about it, he should remain entirely objective and let her receive the revelation for herself. And regardless of whatever inspiration he feels he receives pertaining her life he should keep to himself, because he is not entitled to inspiration for her. It's his job to be supportive, and caring, and if what she chooses to do isn't what he think she should do, continue to be supportive and step aside so she can do it.

I never implied that he did. There is, however, nothing wrong about fasting and praying together in unity. He would fast and pray for her to recieve the answers she needs, not recieve answers for her.