3 Nephi 21:22-29

Guest Believer_1829

Guest Believer_1829

I would like thoughts on these passages in 3rd Nephi. I believe they are overlooked and contain important information...

"22 But if they will repent and hearken unto my words, and aharden not their hearts, I will bestablish my church among them, and they shall come in unto the covenant and be cnumbered among this the remnant of Jacob, unto whom I have given this land for their dinheritance;

23 And they shall assist my apeople, the remnant of Jacob, and also as many of the house of Israel as shall come, that they may build a city, which shall be called the bNew Jerusalem.

24 And then shall athey assist my people that they may be gathered in, who are scattered upon all the face of the land, in unto the New Jerusalem.

25 And then shall the apower of heaven come down among them; and bI also will be in the midst.

26 And then shall the work of the Father commence at that day, even awhen this gospel shall be preached among the remnant of bthis people. Verily I say unto you, at that day shall the work of the Father commence among all the dispersed of my people, yea, even the tribes which have been clost, which the Father hath led away out of Jerusalem.

27 Yea, the work shall commence among all the adispersed of my people, with the Father to prepare the way whereby they may bcome unto me, that they may call on the Father in my name.

28 Yea, and then shall the work commence, with the Father among all nations in preparing the way whereby his people may be agathered home to the land of their inheritance.

29 And they shall go out from all nations; and they shall anot go out in bhaste, nor go by flight, for I will go before them, saith the Father, and I will be their rearward."

Edited by Believer_1829

Guest Believer_1829

I believe much if this is talking about during the millenium. When there is no wickedness or crime on the earth.

When the lost tribes shall come forward

What about these verses (and the verses preceding it) gives you the idea that it is during the Millennium?

When did the idea evolve amoung LDS that New Jerusalem will be built during the Millennium?

Not all of it is. A lot of it is speaking about the Indians who will become a huge part of the building of not only the temple but also in building up their people in the gospel.

3 Ne 21:26 then shall the work of the Father commence at that day

“This is a millennial settings. It is a setting in which wickedness and crime and vengeance are no longer on earth… Yes, the work of the Father shall commence in the great millennial day, in the sense that its magnitude shall be infinitely greater than anything we can even identify with today. All that has gone on in the past will seem to pale into insignificance when missionary work goes forward during the thousand years (compare 2 Nephi 30:7-15).

“Jehovah spake through Jeremiah: ‘Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that it shall no more be said, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; but, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers.' And then the Master described the manner in which missionaries would search out the people: ‘Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks.’ (Jeremiah 16:14-16.)” (McConkie, Millet, and Top, Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, vol. 4, p. 153)

But we do say that the great day of the return of the Ten Tribes, the day when the assembling hosts shall fulfill the prophetic promises, shall come after our Lord's return.' (Millennial Messiah, p. 323; see also New Witness, p. 521.)” (McConkie, Millet, and Top, Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, vol. 4, p. 153, italics added)

Guest Believer_1829

3 Ne 21:26 then shall the work of the Father commence at that day

“This is a millennial settings. It is a setting in which wickedness and crime and vengeance are no longer on earth… Yes, the work of the Father shall commence in the great millennial day, in the sense that its magnitude shall be infinitely greater than anything we can even identify with today. All that has gone on in the past will seem to pale into insignificance when missionary work goes forward during the thousand years (compare 2 Nephi 30:7-15).

“Jehovah spake through Jeremiah: ‘Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that it shall no more be said, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; but, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers.' And then the Master described the manner in which missionaries would search out the people: ‘Behold, I will send for many fishers, saith the Lord, and they shall fish them; and after will I send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks.’ (Jeremiah 16:14-16.)” (McConkie, Millet, and Top, Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, vol. 4, p. 153)

I will respectfully have to disagree with Mr. McConkie and Mr. Millet...

1 Nephi 14:15-17

15 And it came to pass that I beheld that the wrath of God was apoured out upon that great and abominable church, insomuch that there were wars and rumors of wars among all the bnations and kindreds of the earth.

16 And as there began to be awars and rumors of wars among all the nations which belonged to the mother of abominations, the angel spake unto me, saying: Behold, the wrath of God is upon the mother of harlots; and behold, thou seest all these things—

17 And when the aday cometh that the bwrath of God is poured out upon the mother of harlots, which is the great and abominable church of all the earth, whose founder is the devil, then, at that day, the cwork of the Father shall commence, in preparing the way for the fulfilling of his dcovenants, which he hath made to his people who are of the house of Israel.

Guest Believer_1829

I may be reading it wrong, but it sounds like it's saying that the ten tribes cannot be recovered until after New Jerusalem is built.

Look at how it is outlined...

- If Gentiles repent God will establish church amoung them

- Then gentiles will assist Jacob in America in building New Jerusalem

- Then rest of Jacob in America and other tribes will be gathered in

- Then they will go to all nations

Guest Believer_1829

Your reason?

The reference in 1 Nephi I gave puts forth the idea that the work of the Father is at the time God's wrath is being poured out upon the nations.

Guest Believer_1829

So you don't believe there will be missionary work during the 1000 years?

I don't venture to guess what will occur during the Millennium. But I'm sure there will be teaching to be done based on Zecheriah 14.

Millennium

A millennium is a period of 1,000 years. When we speak of "the Millennium," we refer to the 1,000 years following the Savior's Second Coming (see Revelation 20:4; D&C 29:11). During the Millennium, "Christ will reign personally upon the earth" (Articles of Faith 1:10).

The Millennium will be a time of righteousness and peace on the earth. The Lord has revealed that "in that day the enmity of man, and the enmity of beasts, yea, the enmity of all flesh, shall cease" (D&C 101:26; see also Isaiah 11:6–9). Satan will be "bound, that he shall have no place in the hearts of the children of men" (D&C 45:55; see also Revelation 20:1–3).

During the Millennium, all people on the earth will be good and just, but many will not have received the fulness of the gospel. Consequently, members of the Church will participate in missionary work.

Members of the Church will also participate in temple work during the Millennium. The Saints will continue to build temples and receive ordinances in behalf of their kindred dead. Guided by revelation, they will prepare records of their ancestors all the way back to Adam and Eve.

Complete righteousness and peace will continue until the end of the 1,000 years, when Satan "shall be loosed for a little season, that he may gather together his armies." The armies of Satan will fight against the hosts of heaven, who will be led by Michael, or Adam. Satan and his followers will be defeated and cast out forever. (See D&C 88:111–115.)

Taken from lds.org

Guest Believer_1829

Speaking of the period after the Gathering spoken of in chapter 21, we read in chapter 22...

14 In arighteousness shalt thou be established; thou shalt be far from oppression for thou shalt not fear, and from terror for it shall not come near thee.

15 Behold, they shall surely gather together aagainst thee, not by me; whosoever shall gather together against thee shall fall for thy sake.

16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy.

17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall revile against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the aservants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.

Concerning verse 17 Joseph Smith said this:

Joseph Smith

“No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.” (History of the Church, 4:540 as taken from Latter-day Commentary on the Book of Mormon compiled by K. Douglas Bassett, p. 449)

His work will be done..no matter what.

Guest Believer_1829

I agree His work will be done...

2 Ne. 27:21

21 Touch not the things which are sealed, for I will bring them forth in mine own due time; for I will show unto the children of men that I am able to do mine own work.

** They need an option to remove the footnote letters ***

I will respectfully have to disagree with Mr. McConkie and Mr. Millet...

To prove your disagreement, you posted scriptures relating to the destructions that happen prior to the Lord's coming, and prior to the Millenneum.

Why do you think those destructions are the same thing as the Father's works of gathering?

Guest Believer_1829

To prove your disagreement, you posted scriptures relating to the destructions that happen prior to the Lord's coming, and prior to the Millenneum.

Why do you think those destructions are the same thing as the Father's works of gathering?

3 Nephi 21:26

26 And then shall the work of the Father commence at that day...

1 Nephi 14:17

"at that day, the work of the Father shall commence..."

*** I believe the wrath of God will be upon the nations at the same time He is gathering His people in. Why, in your mind, cannot they occur at the same time? Do not the scriptures say Zion will be a place of refuge in the last days? ***

It just confused me because you were speaking in terms of gathering, and then you changed to destructions.

I thought the question was how much of the gathering would actually take place after Christ comes versus before. We know the destructions will happen before.

So, from that perspective, the Father can have many different works. Just because the Father's work commences in one area doesn't mean it commences in all areas.