Lds Senator An Embarassment.

Fiannan

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169924,00.html

What's with this Reid guy? He claims to be against abortion yet the only issue that seems to be of concern to the more liberal wing of the Democratic Party in regards to the Roberts nomination is abortion. I'll admit, I've heard Reid on TV and he doesn't come across as a MENSA candidate, but come on.

Guest ApostleKnight

Originally posted by Fiannan@Sep 20 2005, 01:52 PM

What's with this Reid guy?  He claims to be against abortion yet the only issue that seems to be of concern to the more liberal wing of the Democratic Party in regards to the Roberts nomination is abortion.  I'll admit, I've heard Reid on TV and he doesn't come across as a MENSA candidate, but come on.

Interesting indeed. Sounds like Reid is responding to undisclosed influence from within his party or maybe he really is just unable to see that Judge Roberts...from all appearances...will be a godsend to the Supreme Court of an increasingly apathetic and constitutionally-confused nation.

Although Reid is a good friend of other LDS in Washington I personally am concerned. He is the senator from Nevada and is exercised his power to put nuclear wast close enough to SLC to cause health concerns among the largest population of LDS that exist. He did this to keep it out of Nevada.

I do not believe he has a firm view of human needs and seems to be very self serving.

The Traveler

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 20 2005, 04:55 PM

Although Reid is a good friend of other LDS in Washington I personally am concerned.  He is the senator from Nevada and is exercised his power to put nuclear wast close enough to SLC to cause health concerns among the largest population of LDS that exist.  He did this to keep it out of Nevada.

I do not believe he has a firm view of human needs and seems to be very self serving.

The Traveler

I wish I could find out what was really going on behind closed doors. But from watching what is on TV I feel like this guy would be wonderful... at least he sounds like it...

Originally posted by Please@Sep 20 2005, 04:15 PM

I wish I could find out what was really going on behind closed doors. But from watching what is on TV I feel like this guy would be wonderful... at least he sounds like it...

I have a great distrust of both political parties. I came from a family greatly involved in politics. I fell out of favor with the Republicians althoug my father and brother have some influence. (except my father is very old and it seems his money is all that the Relpublicians care about currently). My dauthter wants to run for office when she finishes raising her children - I guess that's what happens to good LDS born in Washington DC.

The Traveler

I just heard a Las Vegas talk radio show host peg the reality of Harry Reid. His name is Jay Mcfarland and he's LDS. As well as his radio show he does a free daily internet broadcast. You really need to check this out at www.jaymcfarland.com.

I can't really comment on this, as i'm not well informed on USA politics, or this man's involvement with the LDS church...however from reading the first link provided, it appears that Reid is putting aside his personal beliefs as he is supporting the Civil Rights Movement for which the Democratic Party, of which he is a member, stands for...that is the way politicians in the UK work sometimes on certain issues...afterall, even politicians in the same party cannot always agree on every issue their party is concerned with...they just have to agree upon the major ones that affect the country.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Traveler+Sep 20 2005, 06:12 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Sep 20 2005, 04:15 PM

I have a great distrust of both political parties. I came from a family greatly involved in politics. I fell out of favor with the Republicians althoug my father and brother have some influence. (except my father is very old and it seems his money is all that the Relpublicians care about currently). My dauthter wants to run for office when she finishes raising her children - I guess that's what happens to good LDS born in Washington DC.

The Traveler

I don't trust them either and in some ways feel that it doesn't matter which party it is... they are really one great big party with individuals with their own bought and paid for agenda...

But I can only hope I am wrong...

Originally posted by Fiannan@Sep 20 2005, 10:52 AM

What's with this Reid guy?  He claims to be against abortion yet the only issue that seems to be of concern to the more liberal wing of the Democratic Party in regards to the Roberts nomination is abortion.  I'll admit, I've heard Reid on TV and he doesn't come across as a MENSA candidate, but come on.

So you complain or imply that Reid's opposed to Roberts on the basis of abortion or that Reid opposes Roberts but also opposes abortion (I can't tell what point you are trying to make) and that Reid is not as bright as you and as evidence of your contention you offer the proof of an article that doesn't talk about abortion.

Uh - what's that all about... other than you don't like Reid's liberal philosophy so you try to paint in in pejorative terms?

Reid's voting record places him in the "pro-life" category. I doubt he lets that remain silent in Nevada with its heavy LDS and Hispanic (mainly Catholic) populations.

If Roberts were as conservative as he is, yet was in favor of Roe v. Wade, the vast majority of Democrats would vote for him. When Attorney General Gonzales first came up for confirmation Democrats questioned him on issues like interrogation and torture of suspects involved in terrorism. They made a big fuss about this yet (because Gonzales hinted at not being oopposed to abortion) they made it clear they would support him in mass if HE were nominated by Bush for a court position.

Abortion is the litmus test for Democrats -- even Kerry in 2004 made that clear.

So one would assume that Reid would support Roberts -- even Hillary (at this point) has made no real objections to him. Yet Reid comes out opposed to him? This when he said that if Scalia were nominated to chief justice he would support him????

Either Reid was pressured to cave in on his convictions or the guy is more confused than he looks. Either way he is still an embarassment.

Fiannan,

Reid got a BS from USU and a JD from George Washington; has been a police officer, a lawyer, the State Gaming Commissioner, a lieutenant gov, US House Rep, a US Senator, the Minority Whip, the Minority Leader and the Senate Democratic Leader and yet you think he is none to bright.

Reid voted against support for Roe v Wade in 2004 yet you think Reid has caved into pro-abortion pressure and that is the reason he opposes Roberts (as opposed to what Reid actually says about his opposition) and that somehow makes him embarrassment for you.

You haven't giving any reason for him being none to bright or an embarrassment other that you disagree with his politics. Can't you do better than that?

He has given no legitimate reason he is voting against Roberts. The only opposition I have seen to Roberts is from the pro-abortion lobby. Therefore I think it is safe to assume that ultra-liberal members of the senate have pressured him to vote no.

As for the perception I have of him, I said before that it is based on listening to him speak on various news programs. It has nothing to do with his being LDS (Smith, Hatch and other LDS reps come across very bright).

I believe he has some answering to do in order to justify his anti-Roberts statements which even have some Democrats puzzled. I will say that Ried has been the subject a a few talk shows and on political discussion boards on the net and I am very glad nobody associates him (as they do with Hatch) with LDS membership.

Originally posted by Fiannan@Sep 21 2005, 01:22 AM

He has given no legitimate reason he is voting against Roberts.  The only opposition I have seen to Roberts is from the pro-abortion lobby.  Therefore I think it is safe to assume that ultra-liberal members of the senate have pressured him to vote no. 

Hmmm, he doesn't share your ideological bent ergo he must have succumbed to the forces of darkness. Great.

Well we can now add to the list of idiots. The Great governor of Utah believes that it is a good idea to take all the nuclear waist of the good old USA and store it within 60 miles of Salt Lake City (that is up wind from SLC). Not even Rocky Anderson (the idiot that gave us the main street plaza fiasco along with aid to terrorists that want to work at the SLC airport) is that stupid.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 23 2005, 06:39 AM

Well we can now add to the list of idiots.  The Great governor of Utah believes that it is a good idea to take all the nuclear waist of the good old USA and store it within 60 miles of Salt Lake City (that is up wind from SLC).  Not even Rocky Anderson (the idiot that gave us the main street plaza fiasco along with aid to terrorists that want to work at the SLC airport) is that stupid. 

The Traveler

Hmmm, I wonder who the "idiot" is?

This is from this mornings Trib: "Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. is criticizing Sen. Orrin Hatch's refusal to join members of Congress from Utah and Nevada in fighting to keep nuclear waste out of both of those states.

"It's ill-advised," Huntsman said Thursday. "It would be nice to be able to speak with some sense of unanimity as a state and a delegation, as I believe Nevada is doing, on something as important as this."

Through a spokesman, Hatch declined to respond to the governor's criticism Thursday."

Jon Huntsman is no idiot. In fact he is quite bright. Traveler imagines (apparently) that Huntsman has a different opinion than Traveler and so that makes Huntsman an idiot.

Needless to say, I disagree.

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 23 2005, 06:39 AM

Well we can now add to the list of idiots....  Not even Rocky Anderson (the idiot that gave us the main street plaza fiasco along with aid to terrorists that want to work at the SLC airport) is that stupid. 

The Traveler

And what about Anderson and the Plaza make him an "idiot?" He just tried to broker a decent solution to the snafu. The "idiot(s)" as you call them were former Mayor Corradini, The First Presidency of the Church and the Church's lawyers... I don't think they were idiots but I would be interested to hear why you think they are.

Originally posted by Snow+Sep 23 2005, 08:34 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Traveler@Sep 23 2005, 06:39 AM

Well we can now add to the list of idiots....  Not even Rocky Anderson (the idiot that gave us the main street plaza fiasco along with aid to terrorists that want to work at the SLC airport) is that stupid. 

The Traveler

And what about Anderson and the Plaza make him an "idiot?" He just tried to broker a decent solution to the snafu. The "idiot(s)" as you call them were former Mayor Corradini, The First Presidency of the Church and the Church's lawyers... I don't think they were idiots but I would be interested to hear why you think they are.

Snow - I do not think you are very well informed. The LDS church has always owned the property that is now the Plaza. The LDS church offered a 99 year lease of the property (at the cost of $1.00) to the city for a street. At the end of the 99 years the city and the chruch made a agreement for the LDS church to make a private park on the property that they had always owned. The LDS church paid about 1million dollars for the esement rights and right of way for their own private property. Your firend Rocky Anderson was a principle involved in the first law suit that resulted in costing the city and LDS church millions of dollars to settle the issue - and this does not account for LDS wedding parties that were assulted while trying to take photos on their wedding day. It was not until national attention and a foreign visitor was arrested (causing imbarrasment to the city) that Rocky backed down.

I would also point out that after 9/11 the FBI discovered illegal forigners (with possible terrorists connections) were working as security officers at the SLC airport. When the FBI moved to remove them from security possitions - Rocky not only filed law suit but publicly said that he would have warned the illegal forigners had he known of the FBI efforts.

You may call this politics, and you can call me an idiot for disagreeing with you and Rocky - But private property rights and security against terrorists (as per 9/11) are not a matter of pollitics and political disagreement as you suggest - I see it as a little different than you do. Sorry but if you want to live with terrorists overseeing you travel security that is you right but please do not try to force it on the rest of us - at least not on my watch.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Snow+Sep 23 2005, 08:05 AM-->

Well we can now add to the list of idiots.  The Great governor of Utah believes that it is a good idea to take all the nuclear waist of the good old USA and store it within 60 miles of Salt Lake City (that is up wind from SLC).  Not even Rocky Anderson (the idiot that gave us the main street plaza fiasco along with aid to terrorists that want to work at the SLC airport) is that stupid. 

The Traveler

This is from this mornings Trib: "Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. is criticizing Sen. Orrin Hatch's refusal to join members of Congress from Utah and Nevada in fighting to keep nuclear waste out of both of those states.

"It's ill-advised," Huntsman said Thursday. "It would be nice to be able to speak with some sense of unanimity as a state and a delegation, as I believe Nevada is doing, on something as important as this."

Through a spokesman, Hatch declined to respond to the governor's criticism Thursday."

Jon Huntsman is no idiot. In fact he is quite bright. Traveler imagines (apparently) that Huntsman has a different opinion than Traveler and so that makes Huntsman an idiot.

Snow: I know you think that nuclear waist is “just” politics. That is the common mistake of most political idiots. First off there is no such thing as “nuclear waist”. It is all nuclear active material. The highly active stuff can be utilized for high returns with minimal cost to generate nuclear power and events. What is called nuclear waist is active material that does not give an immediate high energy return but its return can be increased by “breading” the material – which is in essence what you are doing when you store enough of it in one place.

By the nature of active nuclear material it is not a good idea to dispose of it in one central location anywhere on the planet. It would be wiser to store it in as little quantities as reasonably possible in many different places. This is a matter of physics not politics.

You may want to ignore my opinion in this matter. The fact that I am a physicist does color my opinion – that I admit. What on earth is coloring your opinion?

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler+Sep 23 2005, 08:05 AM-->

Originally posted by Snow@Sep 23 2005, 08:34 AM

The Traveler

Snow - I do not think you are very well informed. The LDS church has always owned the property that is now the Plaza. The LDS church offered a 99 year lease of the property (at the cost of $1.00) to the city for a street. At the end of the 99 years the city and the chruch made a agreement for the LDS church to make a private park on the property that they had always owned. The LDS church paid about 1million dollars for the esement rights and right of way for their own private property. Your firend Rocky Anderson was a principle involved in the first law suit that resulted in costing the city and LDS church millions of dollars to settle the issue - and this does not account for LDS wedding parties that were assulted while trying to take photos on their wedding day. It was not until national attention and a foreign visitor was arrested (causing imbarrasment to the city) that Rocky backed down.

I would also point out that after 9/11 the FBI discovered illegal forigners (with possible terrorists connections) were working as security officers at the SLC airport. When the FBI moved to remove them from security possitions - Rocky not only filed law suit but publicly said that he would have warned the illegal forigners had he known of the FBI efforts.

You may call this politics, and you can call me an idiot for disagreeing with you and Rocky - But private property rights and security against terrorists (as per 9/11) are not a matter of pollitics and political disagreement as you suggest - I see it as a little different than you do. Sorry but if you want to live with terrorists overseeing you travel security that is you right but please do not try to force it on the rest of us - at least not on my watch.

The Traveler

You're so full of malarky that if you hold a temple recommend, you had better surrender it post hast before your bishop finds out. I can only think that you made all that up out of thin air.

Let me tell you the real story. - and oh, just so you don't try rebutting me with more made up fantasy, I refer you to my following sources:

Salt Lake City's Official Website

The Official LDS Church Website

The Official American Civil Liberty Union Website

In 1999 the Church purchased Main Street between North and South Temple for 8.1 million dollars. As part of the purchase, the City received an easement. Note: You incorrectly tried to pass off that the Church already owned the property and paid 1 million for an easement and right of way on their own property.

In 1999 the ACLU, on behalf of First Unitarian Church and others sued Salt Lake City and Mayor Rocky Anderson. The Church latter asked to be added to the lawsuit as a defendant. That is - Rocky and the Church were on the same side of the lawsuit. If your lame-brain assertion were true then Rocky would have been suing himself.

Additionally, I didn't call you an idiot as you implied (although I did infer that you might be one in the Jon Huntsman post) what what I will say is that your post is so erroneous as to be plain embarrasing. I won't bother looking into you airport/terrorist allegations cause you can't even get the main story straight.

PS. Why do you think that Rocky Anderson is my "firend" and that I agree with him?

Did I say that I did? Did I imply that I did? Was there anything in my post that even a monkey-hambone could misinterpret as me agreeing with him?

Originally posted by Traveler+Sep 23 2005, 09:52 AM-->

Originally posted by Snow@Sep 23 2005, 08:05 AM

The Traveler

Snow: I know you think that nuclear waist is “just” politics. That is the common mistake of most political idiots. First off there is no such thing as “nuclear waist”. It is all nuclear active material. The highly active stuff can be utilized for high returns with minimal cost to generate nuclear power and events. What is called nuclear waist is active material that does not give an immediate high energy return but its return can be increased by “breading” the material – which is in essence what you are doing when you store enough of it in one place.

By the nature of active nuclear material it is not a good idea to dispose of it in one central location anywhere on the planet. It would be wiser to store it in as little quantities as reasonably possible in many different places. This is a matter of physics not politics.

You may want to ignore my opinion in this matter. The fact that I am a physicist does color my opinion – that I admit. What on earth is coloring your opinion?

The Traveler

What on earth are you carrying on about?

I didn't say that nuclear waste should or shouldn't be dumped in Utah. Try and follow along.

You lambasted Jon Huntsman for favoring Utah as a storage site when in point of fact, the Govenor opposes putting waste in Utah. Besides that, Huntsman is a bright guy, not an idiot and I further think it is immature to call someone an idiot just because you thinK (and incorrectly) and he has a different opinion than you.

Traveler: "First off there is no such thing as “nuclear waist”"

Agreed, but not for the reason you think.