Favorite Scripture?

Guest ApostleKnight

Guest ApostleKnight

Hey all,

What are some of your favorite scriptures? Mine is Psalms 16:11 which reads:

"Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures forever more." (Psalms 16:11)

For me, that just encapsulates and sums up the whole of life and the gospel, I love it! Anybody care to share theirs?

Guest Member_Deleted

My favorite is found in

2 Ne. 30: 17

17 There is nothing which is secret save it shall be revealed; there is no work of darkness save it shall be made manifest in the light; and there is nothing which is sealed upon the earth save it shall be loosed.

Guest Taoist_Saint

TIMOTHY: CHAPTER 6

8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

my fave. scripture at the mo. is

Enos chapter 1 verse 27

And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and I shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen.

I love this one because it always remjinds me what I'm aiming for and helps me to be less afraid of the future :sparklygrin:

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice! Let everyone see your gentleness. The Lord is near! Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.

(Philippians 4:4-9)

Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work.

(2 Timothy 3:16-17)

M.

All off topic posts have been deleted. Please feel free to post your favorite scripture. If your favorite scripture contains parts which might offend others, either post only the reference, or refrain from using italics, bold, etc. Any posts which are off-topic, bickering, or instigating will be deleted. If you want to comment on other's post, that's fine, as long as the bashing is kept out of it. There is a separate thread in the open forum where all deleted posts have found a home.

Originally posted by Maureen@Oct 6 2005, 11:10 AM

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice! Let everyone see your gentleness. The Lord is near! Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.

(Philippians 4:4-9)

Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work.

(2 Timothy 3:16-17)

M.

Behold, you are fair, my love!

Behold, you are fair!

You have dove’s eyes behind your veil.

Your hair is like a flock of goats,

Going down from Mount Gilead.

Your teeth are like a flock of shorn sheep

Which have come up from the washing,

Every one of which bears twins,

And none is barren among them.

Your lips are like a strand of scarlet,

And your mouth is lovely.

Your temples behind your veil

Are like a piece of pomegranate.

Your neck is like the tower of David,

Built for an armory,

On which hang a thousand bucklers,

All shields of mighty men.

Your two breasts are like two fawns,

Twins of a gazelle,

Which feed among the lilies.

Until the day breaks

And the shadows flee away,

I will go my way to the mountain of myrrh

And to the hill of frankincense.

You are all fair, my love,

And there is no spot in you.

Song of Solomon 4:1-7, New King James Version.

I’ve liked Proverbs 3:5-6 for a long time now, since before I become a latter-day saint, and sometimes I quote or think about verses 7-8 too.

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.

I also like how verse 8 relates to the blessing in the Word of Wisdom.

Originally posted by Jason+Oct 6 2005, 03:22 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Heather@Oct 6 2005, 03:40 PM

Jason, when I read your favorite it reminds me so much of Shakespeare's Sonnet 130 (one of my favorites.)  Thanks for sharing that.

Who doesn't love Shakespeare?

I know it's the "in" thing to like Shakespeare, but I for one don't particularly like it. Perhaps you could tell me what you find so uplifting about any of it?

Oh, nevermind, I guess that would be going off topic.

But then again, so is Heather's comment about how that scripture reminds her of Shakespeare, and Your comment about how you like Shakespeare, and as I understand it, this thread is for nothing more than the sharing of favorite scriptures.

:backtotopic:

Ray, I moved all of the deleted posts to the open forum. I tried to PM you, but your inbox is full.

I've edited my other post above. I realize that some may want to comment, and that's fine, it was just the arguing and name-calling that was getting way out of hand.

I didn't know it was an "in" thing to like Shakespeare. I thought it was just the English major in me. Woohoo! I'm cool!

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 6 2005, 04:40 PM

I know it's the "in" thing to like Shakespeare, but I for one don't particularly like it.  Perhaps you could tell me what you find so uplifting about any of it?

I doubt it's the "in" thing. Most people I know, like you, dislike Shakespear.

Originally posted by Jason+Oct 6 2005, 03:50 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Ray@Oct 6 2005, 04:40 PM

I know it's the "in" thing to like Shakespeare, but I for one don't particularly like it.  Perhaps you could tell me what you find so uplifting about any of it?

I doubt it's the "in" thing. Most people I know, like you, dislike Shakespear.

Heh, okay, putting all of that aside, why don't you tell me what you really like about Shakespear, perhaps telling me which work of his you like the best.

And just to be safe, you might want to put that in a separate thread. ;)

Originally posted by Ray@Oct 6 2005, 03:40 PM

Oh, nevermind, I guess that would be going off topic.

But then again, so is Heather's comment about how that scripture reminds her of Shakespeare, and Your comment about how you like Shakespeare, and as I understand it, this thread is for nothing more than the sharing of favorite scriptures.

Ray, what is so hard to understand about:

If you want to comment on other's post, that's fine, as long as the bashing is kept out of it.

Get off that prickley chair now! :P

For me personally, I like Shakespeare for his narrative style. Tragedies aren’t my favorite, but through them Shakespeare has a way a conveying “the moral of the story” in a thoughtful way.

M.

Off topic--

Hey M, just to stick up for Ray, I did add that part later. I came down pretty hard on the whole thread after me and two other mods had to go through it 3 times and delete the bashing. I realized afterwards that I and others would want to respond to each other's favorites.

Mosiah 4: 11

And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Heather@Oct 6 2005, 03:40 PM

Jason, when I read your favorite it reminds me so much of Shakespeare's Sonnet 130 (one of my favorites.)  Thanks for sharing that.

I heard somewhere that Shakespear edited the Bible...