giving one's life to god

just_ashley

I think its about letting go of controlling outcomes. God doesn't tell us to move the rock, just to push on it. We get angry cuz the rock won't move. But we miss it because God was never trying to move the rock, just to strengthen our muscles. You see, its about what is changing or moving or growing on the inside of us that matters. That is why the outcomes of circumstances doesn't matter. Whether or not my firend ever forgives me or loves me is immaterial to how I develop in love and forgiveness. I can grow in good ways with either outcome.

Surrendering control is more about balance. It's like walking on a tightrope. When you think about it too much, you fall. But if you just go for it....you can walk pretty far. And now I reminded of Peter and walking on the water. If we always need to feel the results or the safety net before we do anything, we end up stifling the organic processes of things. When we let go and let God, things come to us. Its a much more gentle way of living.

I think we forget that faith is more powerful than our controlling. We get focused on the fear of faith and the psuedo security of controlling. God's invitation is to switch that effort. Focus on the strength and safety of faith and view correctly the weakness and whimpiness of the arm of the flesh.

Edited by Misshalfway

For me, it's about recognizing that God knows far more than I do, that he knows what's best for me and what I need in life. It's about putting faith and trust in Him, instead of my own flawed, mortal decisions. When I pray, sometimes I'm subconsciously thinking that I want a certain answer and am going to do my own thing regardless. I strive to humble myself and be truly open to guidance and inspiration.

Just my take on it. :))

When we choose to follow God, its not a single moment in time and then let go. At least for me, its a constant conscious decision and active process to remind myself of my covenants and choose to follow God every day. I am in control by choosing to follow God every moment of every day, because if I let go of that control the natural man is an enemy to God and we slip away. Letting go is not good, it takes controlling power to keep holding on every day (at least in my world). Good thoughts!

This is difficult.

In my view it's a battle of wills. It's what we want for ourselves verse what God wants for us.

When you can say you no longer desire anything for yourself other than what God wants for you (might include intese pain, persecution, or even tremendous loss--- but also may include joy and peace so sweet we can't get to on our own) you are close.

Think of the things that matter most to you. If God asked you to give them up, could you? Or, would you?

I know many people like to blurt out and say "yes it's easy..." but with serious contemplation one can't help but understand how difficult that bridge is to cross.

we're told that we should put god in the driver's seat, but how does one surrender control? it's something i'm having a really hard time with currently. it's not that i don't trust him, it's just that i don't trust myself not to be in charge...maybe i'm rationalizing my lack of faith.

thanks!

What I find interesting is someone who has so little control over themself that they would think that they are giving themself to G-d when there is little or nothing to give. I do not think that giving up is giving one's self to G-d.

The only way a person accutally gives themself to G-d is by obedience to his covenants. In truth the only thing we can give that is ours to give is our will. And the truth is that unless we are obedient to G-d we have given him an empty gift of nothing.

The Traveler

just_ashley,

Your post made me think of me when you said, "it's not that i don't trust him, it's just that i don't trust myself not to be in charge..." And I think that the reality for me is that, in those times when I don't trust myself NOT to be in charge, I'm simultaneously not trusting him. I believe He's good, I believe He knows FAR better than I do what path I should take, I believe that He loves me unconditionally...but I DON'T like feeling out of control. So I choose not to trust Him in that moment, and do something that I can get MY grip on, have control over, feel safe in. Self-preservation. I have loved this verse, and memorized it, and quoted it often because of the tendency I have to seek a feeling of control over a walk of faith: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:5 & 6.

Just wanted you to know that I understand what you're sayin'. :)