Public Displays Of Religion Disappearing

prisonchaplain

Originally posted by bizabra+Nov 13 2005, 01:26 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-gwell@Nov 10 2005, 11:26 AM

My wife, daughter and I were at a resteraunt last week....We received our food and my daughter (18 months) proceeded to fold her arms....(what an example)....So I said a prayer on our food....

When I finished my short, quiet prayer I looked around and we had several people staring some with a smile and some with a look of wonderment and shock....

BIZ: When I was a kid, and we went out as a family to eat dinner in a restaurant or at the home of non-member friends, we would gather in the kitchen in a circle and Dad would say a blessing before we left our home. My Father felt very strongly Jesus' rebuke to the Pharisee's about praying in public, where in they are enjoined to to "pray at home in their closet".

What is wrong with keeping your religious beliefs PRIVATE, esp.. when your own saviour told you to do so?

Also, why did you feel the need to look around to gauge others' reactions?

Biz....

Nothing wrong with how your father did it, in fact I like the idea and will implement it in my family......My 18 month old daughter was the one that instigated the situation and I followed her lead....did I stand on top of the table and pray...no.....I did it quietly and discretely enough to have my daughter and wife hear....

As for looking around after.....If you knew me you would know that I am not one to look for public attention....it is a restaurant.........what am I supposed to do? Keep my head burried until I leave......

I will continue to teach my daughter that which I feel is right, and if the situation were to arise again I would do the same thing.....Just the way I am.....Did Jesus not heal the sick because it may have offended someone who was a non-believer who was nearby?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Ray@Nov 10 2005, 04:21 PM

I think I should say and do pretty much whatever I feel is right, and as long as I don’t intentionally try to do something that I know will offend other people.

For instance, I will continue to use “Merry Christmas” when offering my salutations and appreciation during the Christmas season, until or unless I know someone would personally be offended by that, at which point I would say something else to that person, such as “Happy Holidays”.  :)

Btw, the word “holiday” originated from the phrase “holy day”, and the word “goodbye” originated from the phrase “God b’ ye”, or “God be with you”, so getting away from the influence of God in our lives wouldn’t be as easy as some people may believe.

Oh, and considering what the number of the year signifies, I see Christ as the central figure in most of our lives whether everyone realizes it or not.

I loved your post.... thank you! All these interesting little things add up... like you say... we would be hard pressed to get rid of God in our lives... LOL

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by bizabra@Nov 16 2005, 08:49 PM

Please, I would love to hear what you think of my Fathers solution?  Don't you agree it is a good idea?  One that allows the believer to prayfor their meal and yet not making anyone else uncomfortable? 

Shouldn't the public sphere remain nuetral so all citizens can feel inclusive regardless of personal beliefs?

I really can't understand why this could be a bad thing.

I can see it both ways working ... but .. why should the public be so sterile and not enjoy the diversity of it's people...

I mean... if we are trying to eliminate all diversity... the muslums would be required to only wear their garb that covers their head and face.... in their homes... and be required to take it off in public...

We could then move this sterility into the dress code... and tell all women and men to dress modestly because it is very offensive to many when they see fat celluited women in shorts... OFFENDED I AM... and then I also get really offended when I see these really thin women dress in skimmpy bathing suits to do their shopping... or hot pant shorts that allow their buttocks to hang half way out...

Then there are the men.... who come into the store with no shirt and hairy chests all around the foood!!! YUK...

But really where do we stop being offended at one another and start just allowing people to be who they are.... every where...??

Guest LDSister

Originally posted by Please@Nov 17 2005, 03:39 PM

We could then move this sterility into the dress code... and tell all women and men to dress modestly because it is very offensive to many when they see fat celluited women in shorts... OFFENDED I AM... and then I also get really offended when I see these really thin women dress in skimmpy bathing suits to do their shopping... or hot pant shorts that allow their buttocks to hang half way out...

Then there are the men.... who come into the store with no shirt and hairy chests all around the foood!!! YUK...

But really where do we stop being offended at one another and start just allowing people to be who they are.... every where...??

The mental images I got were absolutely hilarious! :lol:

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by LDSister+Nov 17 2005, 03:43 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Nov 17 2005, 03:39 PM

The mental images I got were absolutely hilarious! :lol:

It is the funnest part of writing my book... creating these mental images... LOL

You know, the ultimate in modesty is seeing several thousand people gather for a Spencer Tunick photo session -- all in the nude. Strange thing about things like nudist colonies too, it makes everyone equal and kinda takes the sexual lusting out of the mind.

Anyone here have any experiences with this? I just received an e-mail from a guy with a link to an LDS nudist organization. Interesting.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 17 2005, 03:54 PM

You know, the ultimate in modesty is seeing several thousand people gather for a Spencer Tunick photo session -- all in the nude.  Strange thing about things like nudist colonies too, it makes everyone equal and kinda takes the sexual lusting out of the mind. 

Anyone here have any experiences with this?  I just received an e-mail from a guy with a link to an LDS nudist organization.  Interesting.

Trouble is... how can one be lds and break all the rules? I don't think just cause they call themselves lds that they are lds... you know what I mean?

Why not dress modestly as we have been taught... clothed not only in charity... but the holy garment of the preisthood and guarding their sacredness and the sacredness of our chastity... with modest clothing...??

Guest LDSister

Originally posted by Please@Nov 17 2005, 03:51 PM

It is the funnest part of writing my book... creating these mental images... LOL

Wow, you're writing a book? Totally cool! I'd love to read it. :)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by LDSister+Nov 17 2005, 04:03 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Nov 17 2005, 03:51 PM

I think you would love it... I have it nearly finished... I would have had it out to my publisher (already have two youth talk books out) before Halloween, but... my kids messed with my computer and the books (there will be 4 or more) were all scrambled and recoded into tiny little squares... 1000s of pages worth... LOL

I sent it to a guy in California who specializes in recover of such... and received my books back ... but out of order and finding just one line here and there totally without it's context... have been putting it back together these last couple of weeks...

I hope to get the first book out by January... with all its finishing editing and polishing... and the 2nd book which is almost finished as well... I would like to have it out by Easter... and then I can start seriously writing the 3rd and 4th books...

Trouble is... how can one be lds and break all the rules? I don't think just cause they call themselves lds that they are lds... you know what I mean?

In reference to nudism I wonder at times. I knew a couple that were really neat, active LDS people, yet also liked nude beaches (they had talked about joining a resort). I also have a really good friend who teases me for wearing a suit at a public hotspring because he likes getting back to nature all the way (and he is quite devout, served a mission and does not mess around).

He isn't married yet but I did encourage him to go on an LDS singles page and mention all his activities. What do you bet he'd get lots of interested females responding with interest?

Guest LDSister

Originally posted by Please+Nov 17 2005, 04:09 PM-->

Originally posted by LDSister@Nov 17 2005, 04:03 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Nov 17 2005, 03:51 PM

I think you would love it... I have it nearly finished... I would have had it out to my publisher (already have two youth talk books out) before Halloween, but... my kids messed with my computer and the books (there will be 4 or more) were all scrambled and recoded into tiny little squares... 1000s of pages worth... LOL

I sent it to a guy in California who specializes in recover of such... and received my books back ... but out of order and finding just one line here and there totally without it's context... have been putting it back together these last couple of weeks...

I hope to get the first book out by January... with all its finishing editing and polishing... and the 2nd book which is almost finished as well... I would like to have it out by Easter... and then I can start seriously writing the 3rd and 4th books...

I knew you were a smart cookie! ;)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 17 2005, 04:16 PM

In reference to nudism I wonder at times. I knew a couple that were really neat, active LDS people, yet also liked nude beaches (they had talked about joining a resort). I also have a really good friend who teases me for wearing a suit at a public hotspring because he likes getting back to nature all the way (and he is quite devout, served a mission and does not mess around).

He isn't married yet but I did encourage him to go on an LDS singles page and mention all his activities. What do you bet he'd get lots of interested females responding with interest?

I wouldn't guarantee the quality of women he would get....

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 17 2005, 04:33 PM

I wouldn't guarantee the quality of women he would get....

So a woman who might enjoy skinnydipping or natural hotsprings can't be good quality? What if she is active in church?

Matt. 7: 21

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 17 2005, 09:54 PM

You know, the ultimate in modesty is seeing several thousand people gather for a Spencer Tunick photo session -- all in the nude.  Strange thing about things like nudist colonies too, it makes everyone equal and kinda takes the sexual lusting out of the mind. 

Anyone here have any experiences with this?  I just received an e-mail from a guy with a link to an LDS nudist organization.  Interesting.

Well I'm not LDS, but I went on a nudist beach nearly every day of a holiday I took in Yugoslavia back in 1985, I must admit that it was very liberating...have to say, my self confidence in my body was much higher back then, which would have helped me to disrobe more comfortably, but that's just me!!! I have no objection to nudist colonies and I think that I could probably comfortably exist in one now...even tho my body is big and saggy these days! if I had the confidence to realise that nobody there is really interested in what you look like, it's your attitude to each other, respecting each other no matter what your outward appearance is, that would matter most...they do have strict rules I believe, regarding 'voyeurs'...at least they did on the beach in Yugo.

Guest LDSister

Speaking of nudity...ahem. ;)

I just have to share this...

When I was growing up, we'd travel back east each summer to visit my grandparents. My grandma was a very interesting lady, to say the least!

She was a member of the Unity church, and at one point read Tarot cards.

Well, every day after grandma would have her bath, she'd come out into the dining area to dry off...there she was, in all her glory! I thought this was so funny, but at the same time, I learned that grandma was totally innocent in what she was doing, and very comfortable being nude. So, I developed a pretty healthy attitude about nudity (even tho I keep myself covered up and would rather be caught dead than go to a nude beach). What is even more interesting, is that sometimes when I come out of the bath, I catch my reflection in the mirror and think, OH MY GOSH, THERE'S GRANDMA!!! :lol: