Christians And Walmart

prisonchaplain

Should Christians patronize Walmart?  

1. 1. Should Christians patronize Walmart?

Please, ever been to China? Euros go to the US to do Christmas shopping because our prices are so cheap compared to theirs. However, you have not seen anything in low prices if you have not been to China. The low wages of the Chinese is not only hurting our businesses but the business development of nations like Mexico and Russia that are not advanced enough to compete with high end products but whose workers will not work for a couple of dollars per day in unsafe working conditions.

Originally posted by Josie@Nov 16 2005, 09:41 AM

I have no problem with shopping at Wal-mart.  They provide many jobs and do alot of good in places where they are.  Them not being union does not bother me.

i agree with BenRaines, we need to bring our jobs back to America for all companies, not just Wal-mart.  If we want to create jobs, that is the way to do it and stop paying other countries to make our products.  To me that has hurt America's economy, not helped it.  I love to see the label "Made in America".

This is hard one for me, although i love wal-mart like i have posted, many jobs have gone over seas, when i was living in Utah i worked for many different sewing plants 2 were union, the problem at those plants were sad, it cost 10 dollars (this was in the 80's) just to make a pair of levi jeans, by the time they got to market the cost was almost triple, Cheaper labor was what they decided on and moved the plants to Mexico, But one plant i worked for refused to do this and just ended up going out of buissnes, They chose to close their plants, Leaving many in Utah out of work, ......many things made in our country has higher costs, yes i support American made products and do buy them when i can, but with the Gas prices and everything going up i have gone to the cheaper opption,

It's catch 22 buy cheaper and support out sourcing to other countries or by american made and pay much more (in many cases not all)...............I am stuck on this, I dont know which one to support at times, if we bring factories back to the US does this mean lower wages, and higher prices?

This is just my oppion, i do not say that i'm am speaking as a know it all.......Because frankly i dont

B<<<<H>>>>S

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 16 2005, 01:09 PM

Please, ever been to China?  Euros go to the US to do Christmas shopping because our prices are so cheap compared to theirs.  However, you have not seen anything in low prices if you have not been to China.  The low wages of the Chinese is not only hurting our businesses but the business development of nations like Mexico and Russia that are not advanced enough to compete with high end products but whose workers will not work for a couple of dollars per day in unsafe working conditions.

What do you save when you have to pay for the travel to get there?... and if their people are getting paid low... it is because they can buy low... as you say.... it is cheaper over there..

I see the answer to this dilemma in the changing of the world economics... not just destroying one store...

Globalism seems like a nice way of saying social Darwinism (on a world scale). Wonder if we should apply these principles to medicine? I mean, if bird flu does mutate and strike humans it will mean the virus is a superior cell to the ones that make up our bodies. It will probably go away anyway and just kill those weak enough not to be able to fight it. Good for the species as Darwin commented about plague.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 16 2005, 01:49 PM

Globalism seems like a nice way of saying social Darwinism (on a world scale).  Wonder if we should apply these principles to medicine?  I mean, if bird flu does mutate and strike humans it will mean the virus is a superior cell to the ones that make up our bodies.  It will probably go away anyway and just kill those weak enough not to be able to fight it.  Good for the species as Darwin commented about plague.

Boy do you like a tangent or what?

LisaJo, I do understand what you are saying and would never think you were pretending to be a "know it all" as you put it.

Bringing our work force back to America would have to be a nationwide thing by all companies and realistically, I don't think that is going to happen in this day. Just old fashioned me dreaming, I guess. I agree with what you said.

We have lost many jobs over seas, which I feel like was a mistake for this country. Do I think it is going to change, No.

Wal-mart is not the only company sending factories elsewhere, most all companies are today, because it is cheaper. It is cheaper have the product made there and then ship it back over here for us to buy.

No, it is my wishful thinking to dream of things being made in America again. That just is not going to happen, atleast not right now.

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 16 2005, 12:49 PM

Globalism seems like a nice way of saying social Darwinism (on a world scale).  Wonder if we should apply these principles to medicine?  I mean, if bird flu does mutate and strike humans it will mean the virus is a superior cell to the ones that make up our bodies.  It will probably go away anyway and just kill those weak enough not to be able to fight it.  Good for the species as Darwin commented about plague.

If the medical establishment cannot find ways to prevent the spread of disease, why not consider alternative solutions?

Originally posted by Josie@Nov 16 2005, 12:43 PM

LisaJo, I do understand what you are saying and would never think you were pretending to be a "know it all" as you put it.

Bringing our work force back to America would have to be a nationwide thing by all companies and realistically, I don't think that is going to happen in this day.  Just old fashioned me dreaming, I guess.  I agree with what you said. 

We have lost many jobs over seas, which I feel like was a mistake for this country.  Do I think it is going to change, No. 

Wal-mart is not the only company sending factories elsewhere, most all companies are today, because it is cheaper.  It is cheaper have the product made there and then ship it back over here for us to buy.

No, it is my wishful thinking to dream of things being made in America again.  That just is not going to happen, atleast not right now.

LOL Josie i wasnt really quoting you........, I cant get the quote things right LOL what i was saying wasnt aimed at you but you know what i mean................ :P LOVE YA!

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Ari+Nov 16 2005, 02:45 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Fiannan@Nov 16 2005, 12:49 PM

If the medical establishment cannot find ways to prevent the spread of disease, why not consider alternative solutions?

Absolutely.... GODD POINT!!!

Originally posted by Please+Nov 15 2005, 11:26 PM-->

Originally posted by Heather@Nov 15 2005, 11:05 PM

Reading stuff like this only makes me shop at walmart more. Went there today, and I'm going back tomorrow. Thanks! :)

I know... me too. I practically live there... I will most probably do all of our Christmas shopping there.

<!--QuoteBegin-Please

@Oct 5 2005, 01:12 PM

Most definitely life is not fair... but I believe we need to be community minded enough to make some sacrifices... for the betterment of all...

So I guess so much for this comment, eh Please?

Originally posted by seamusz@Nov 16 2005, 12:59 PM

It is suprising to me how many of you aren't willing to look at both sides of this issue.  I posted this story on walmat a while back, it both praises walmart and also condemns walmart.  I highly recommend you read it, or at least some of it.

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

SEA i have looked at both sides of the issue, Ya there are things that arent great, But hey I have to say i Shop there...........My family benifts in it, I'm sorry others don't......... It's a catch 22 for me! My glass is both half full and half empty on the issue

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by seamusz+Nov 16 2005, 03:04 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Nov 15 2005, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Heather@Nov 15 2005, 11:05 PM

Reading stuff like this only makes me shop at walmart more. Went there today, and I'm going back tomorrow. Thanks! :)

I know... me too. I practically live there... I will most probably do all of our Christmas shopping there.

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Oct 5 2005, 01:12 PM

Most definitely life is not fair... but I believe we need to be community minded enough to make some sacrifices... for the betterment of all...

So I guess so much for this comment, eh Please?

My community minded comment was taken to be supporting small businesses... it was never ever ever intended to say such...

My comment was stating that what was best for the community... (LOW COSTING PRODUCTS AND ONE STOP SHOPPING CONVIENCE ) was what was best for the community... saves on gas... car wrecks... frustrations...traffic....time...

Less traffic coursing through our neighborhoods, less money out of our pockets... less time consumed on traveling from small business to small business... all are benefits to the community....

This when I made a "modest proposal" for treating health care like economic globalization? Shall we then go for the survival of the fittest? I mean, the plague did render many people in northern Europe (especially in Scandinavia) immune to AIDS due to a small mutation that seems to help in surviving both plague and AIDS. I did have a college professor that questioned heart surguries on infants because that would allow them to live to spread their genes.

Is this the way to go?

Originally posted by Please@Nov 16 2005, 03:10 PM

My community minded comment was taken to be supporting small businesses... it was never ever ever intended to say such...

My comment was stating that what was best for the community... (LOW COSTING PRODUCTS  AND ONE STOP SHOPPING CONVIENCE ) was what was best for the community... saves on gas... car wrecks... frustrations...traffic....time...

Less traffic coursing through our neighborhoods, less money out of our pockets... less time consumed on traveling from small business to small business... all are benefits to the community....

Its ok Please, you don't have to justify yourself to me. It's not like I can change your mind anyway...

"A man (or woman) convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"

lisajo, I think that it isn't a catch 22. If we consider the economic damage that huge competitive monopolies like walmart can do to our communities and our country, I think that the only way to win is to not shop at walmart. Now, I know that there are people smarter than me who can justify shopping at walmart, but all I know is that I don't think that it is good, and my gut tells me this. I feel like I'm doing the right thing by not shopping there and encouraging others to do the same.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 16 2005, 03:28 PM

This when I made a "modest proposal" for treating health care like economic globalization? Shall we then go for the survival of the fittest? I mean, the plague did render many people in northern Europe (especially in Scandinavia) immune to AIDS due to a small mutation that seems to help in surviving both plague and AIDS. I did have a college professor that questioned heart surguries on infants because that would allow them to live to spread their genes.

Is this the way to go?

NOW you are saying something that interests me.. I came upon a doctor's site when Iwas researching my son's heart condition... and it stated that it would be easier on the parents of these children if they did die... how crazy is that?

Only one difference between my experience and yours... they used the surgeries to cover up their murder of these children...

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Fiannan@Nov 16 2005, 03:43 PM

how crazy is that?

Darwin 101.

I'm afraid you are right about that one.. You know my brother MD.. told me once that when he was trained in triage... that he was told that he was to look for the person's value to society... as the deciding factor between two or more serious cases...

First they judge between critical, serious, stable etc... taking the most critical first...etc..

But if they have two or more equally critical patience they use the value of the human to determin which to work on...

If you are an old man, and the two others are young children and a middle aged man... the old man will die.

Then when it is the choice between the kid and the middle aged man... they start asking what the man does for a living... if he is a custodian... he is gone... the kid wins... but if he is a master scientist or a doctor of renoun or at least well worked... the kid loses...

Originally posted by seamusz@Nov 16 2005, 01:39 PM

Its ok Please, you don't have to justify yourself to me.  It's not like I can change your mind anyway...

"A man (or woman) convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"

lisajo,  I think that it isn't a catch 22.  If we consider the economic damage that huge competitive monopolies like walmart can do to our communities and our country, I think that the only way to win is to not shop at walmart.  Now, I know that there are people smarter than me who can justify shopping at walmart, but all I know is that I don't think that it is good, and my gut tells me this.  I feel like I'm doing the right thing by not shopping there and encouraging others to do the same.

And i admire you for standing up to what you believe, ;)

we all have different oppinions on it, like i said it is hard one for me, For me it's like saying you can't drink coke because it has a bad back ground but you can drink pepsi........UGGGGGG noway i would stop drinking coke for pepsi (maybe thats not a good example) LOL But i do Understand what you are saying ;)

I personally don’t see a problem with sending our “factory” jobs overseas. It simply means there are fewer “factory” jobs in America, and more “factory” jobs overseas, for the people who need jobs and income in other countries.

And the fact that there are fewer “factory” jobs in America doesn’t mean that there are necessarily fewer jobs in America. We’re now more of a service-oriented country, where most employment involves actually working with people, and I think there is just as much opportunity for growth in these companies as there is in companies where people still build things with their hands. . Not that a “factory” job is bad, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with people who want to work with their hands, but even factories need people who work with other people in service oriented jobs, and they can’t make it without them.

And btw, I see the Celestial kingdom as more of a service-oriented kingdom like America, with most of the people working with other people, while the people in the less developed kingdoms will have the “factory” jobs because they really don’t want to work in “management” or in other service-oriented jobs.

p.s. Any other ideas on who actually made the Liahona, and the clothes Adam and Eve wore when they left the garden of Eden? Oh, and lest you forget, our Lord didn't run around naked after He was resurrected, and Moroni and the other angels aren't running around naked either, so somebody out there is making some clothes.