Lds Questions

Suzanne

Hello!

I am writing a paper on LDS for my world religions class and I was hoping someone would be willing to answer some very simple questions.

Besides believing LDS to be the truth, what do you find most special about LDS?

If you grew up LDS, what was the most important thing you were taught when you were young?

If you became LDS later in life, what was the major factor that convinced you to become LDS?

What religious holiday is the most special for you and why?

What beliefs do you feel make LDS different from other Christian religious groups?

Thank you for much for your help!!

I look forward to our chatting.

Suzanne

We worship the resurrected Christ, not the Christ on the cross. We believe the atonement to be the most important act that has ever been done for us, and we believe the living, resurrected Christ to be our Savior and King and realize that like He, we can be resurrected and have Eternal life. We believe that we continue to progress through Eternity and if we live worthily, we can be with our families forever.

If you grew up LDS, what was the most important thing you were taught when you were young?The most important thing I was taught as a child, I believe to be that Jesus Christ is our Savior, he atoned for us and was resurrected. Knowing I had a Savior that loved me and had provided a way for my family and I to be with him again. [/color=red]

What religious holiday is the most special for you and why?Easter: It celebrates the risen Lord and reminds us that he is alive and there and answers our prayers and knows what is going on with us and cares and loves us.

What beliefs do you feel make LDS different from other Christian religious groups?

1. Jesus Christ is our Savior and loves us and our advocate to the Father. His Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemany and His resurrection are the two most important single acts that have ever been done for mankind.

2. Families can be together Eternally. 3. The Book of Mormon is a witness to the validity of the Bible and is also the word of God. 4. We have the same leadership at the head of our church that existed in the ancient church and the same Priesthood authority. 5. We believe in a living prophet and apostles upon the face of the earth today. We believe that the heavens are not closed and God loves us and knows that we need his revelations today, the same as his children did in ancient times. to name a few.

Remember, these are my opinions. This is what I am giving as answers to your questions.

Originally posted by Josie@Nov 16 2005, 09:53 PM

We worship the resurrected Christ, not the Christ on the cross.  We believe the atonement to be the most important act that has ever been done for us, and we believe the living, resurrected Christ to be our Savior and King and realize that like He, we can be resurrected and have Eternal life.  We believe that we continue to progress through Eternity and if we live worthily, we can be with our families forever. 

If you grew up LDS, what was the most important thing you were taught when you were young?The most important thing I was taught as a child, I believe to be that Jesus Christ is our Savior, he atoned for us and was resurrected.  Knowing I had a Savior that loved me and had provided a way for my family and I to be with him again. [/color=red]

What religious holiday is the most special for you and why?Easter: It celebrates the risen Lord and reminds us that he is alive and there and answers our prayers and knows what is going on with us and cares and loves us.

1. Jesus Christ is our Savior and loves us and our advocate to the Father.  His Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemany and His resurrection are the two most important single acts that have ever been done for mankind.

2. Families can be together Eternally.  3. The Book of Mormon is a witness to the validity of the Bible and is also the word of God.  4.  We have the same leadership at the head of our church that existed in the ancient church and the same Priesthood authority.  5.  We believe in a living prophet and apostles upon the face of the earth today.  We believe that the heavens are not closed and God loves us and knows that we need his revelations today, the same as his children did in ancient times. to name a few.

Remember, these are my opinions.  This is what I am giving as answers to your questions.

The truth.

If you grew up LDS, what was the most important thing you were taught when you were young?

I converted

If you became LDS later in life, what was the major factor that convinced you to become LDS?

See question #1

Easter I guess.

They are less spiritual and more temporal and physical (Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ both have physical bodies and so shall we after we die; a long time after we die)

1) The doctrine of pre-existence and eternal progression.

2)I never grew up in the Church.

3) The astonishing fact that God is a personal Lord, and His whole design of the universe and our creation to be the most important part.

4)Not one of them. Personally i consider all to be of pagan resources, the most horrendous is easter, but yet, of all, i see Christmas as a "nice"celebration just in th sense that we remember our Saviour, but thats it. No santa Claus.

5)I agree with Disruptive, such a doctrine at least is CLEAR to the ears of men, and no confused distorcionated image of God.

Oh, goodie! Another survey! :)

If by saying that LDS believe we “are” the truth, you mean that LDS believe we “have” the truth, I would say that what I find most special about “having” the truth is what we can accomplish by “having” the truth. Or in other words, it’s not simply about “having” the truth, but what “having” that truth can do for us.

I became a member of the Church when I was 28 years of age, or about 16 years ago, so I will assume that I don’t qualify under your idea of someone who grew up LDS, even though I still consider myself to be growing up every day.

The idea of “authority” being necessary to proclaim the gospel and administer the ordinances thereof. I was planning to become a minister of another religion at the time I met a member missionary of this Church, and I really hadn’t thought much about the idea of “authority” until I spoke to her, when she then helped me to see that this was a major factor for a church proclaiming itself to be the true church of Christ.

And along with that, I’d also say that the idea of “new and continuing revelation” was also a major factor which contributed to my becoming a member of the Church, both from written documents such as the Book of Mormon and the personal revelation I received which assured me that I was doing the right thing.

Christmas, because it’s the time of year when it seems that more people than usual think about Christ and what the spirit of Christmas is all about.

I’d say there are many different ideas that LDS have which other Christian groups do not have, and all of those different ideas make LDS different than those other Christian groups.

Or I guess I could also say that LDS believe we have all of the truth, while other Christian groups have only some of the truth, and the truths those other Christian groups do not have (or accept) make all the difference in the world.

Green Jell-o deserts with slices of Banana in it.

LDS Apostle James Widsoe taught that we'll have sex in heaven!

Um...July 24th!! Pioneer Day.

A nuclear family unit in heaven (doesn't really work though), that you need to know secret handshakes and passwords to get into heaven, that without paying 10% of your income, you'll be burned on earth or hell (depends).

Oh, and that Crosses and Crucifixes are evil (not official doctrine though).

In all fairness, Im not LDS anymore, but I hope I've helped.

Originally posted by Jason@Nov 18 2005, 01:04 PM

A nuclear family unit in heaven (doesn't really work though

You see, Jason. It's when you say things like this that I think you don't truly understand our doctrine. I can accept the idea that you could understand it and then reject it, if you no longer believe it is true, but to say that our doctrine doesn't make sense seems to show that you really don't understand it, because I can and do understand it.

Anyway, :backtotopic:

Originally posted by Ray+Nov 18 2005, 02:18 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Jason@Nov 18 2005, 01:04 PM

You see, Jason. It's when you say things like this that I think you don't truly understand our doctrine. I can accept the idea that you could understand it and then reject it, if you no longer believe it is true, but to say that our doctrine doesn't make sense seems to show that you really don't understand it, because I can and do understand it.

Ok Ray. Can you see/visit other people who are not "sealed" to you? Let's start with that question and go from there.

Originally posted by Jason+Nov 18 2005, 01:36 PM-->

Originally posted by Ray@Nov 18 2005, 02:18 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-Jason@Nov 18 2005, 01:04 PM

Ok Ray. Can you see/visit other people who are not "sealed" to you? Let's start with that question and go from there.

Yes, we will still be able to see someone who is not sealed to us (if they don't receive the sealing ordinance which was performed on their behalf), but we might have to go to them if they can't come to us, if we live in a higher kingdom.

Or in other words, those who are up will go down, but those who are down won’t go up, unless they receive some sort of special trip pass from our Lord.

And btw, I'm willing to make another comment or two on this topic, if you will start another thread on this, but I won't be discussing it anymore here, because I don't want to derail this thread.

Guest Member_Deleted

Just ignore Jason... he is not lds and is actually an anti-)</span>

Originally posted by Jason@Nov 18 2005, 02:04 PM

Green Jell-o deserts with slices of Banana in it. 

LDS Apostle James Widsoe taught that we'll have sex in heaven! 

Um...July 24th!!  Pioneer Day. 

A nuclear family unit in heaven (doesn't really work though), that you need to know secret handshakes and passwords to get into heaven, that without paying 10% of your income, you'll be burned on earth or hell (depends). 

Oh, and that Crosses and Crucifixes are evil (not official doctrine though).

<span style=\'color:blue\'>In all fairness, Im not LDS anymore, but I hope I've helped.