Interfaith Marriage

prisonchaplain

Who would you bless your child to marry?  

1. 1. Who would you bless your child to marry?

• Only a member of my denomination. For example, an LDS member would say no to an RLDS member, or a Baptist would say no to a Pentecostal.
    • Only a member of my religious family. LDS would accept marriage to RLDS, a Baptist would say yes to a Pentecostal.
    • Only to someone with a sincere religious practice, regardless of the religion. LDS would say yes to a Buddhist, a Muslim, or a Catholic. A Baptist would do likewise.
    • Anyone who makes my child happy, and gives every appearance of being responsible, loving, and not at all likely to end up facing the outer darkness.
    • Anyone my child chooses.

Originally posted by dontagreeljefe@Nov 24 2005, 08:57 PM

A father and mother married in the temple and true to there covenants will be the only one;s that have claim upon there posterity for time and all eternity.  Every other relationship ends at death....

And what has that got to do with who truly is a good Father in God's eyes? You're saying that if a man is married in the temple he's got an extra stamp of approval from God whether he's actually a good father or not? It may be a surprise to you but I'm positive there are a few men out there that have been through an LDS temple and are not good fathers. Remember how you believe that your actions also count, ie faith without works is dead.

M.

Guest bizabra

Originally posted by dontagreeljefe+Nov 24 2005, 08:57 PM-->

Originally posted by Maureen@Nov 24 2005, 06:03 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-prisonchaplain@Nov 24 2005, 04:18 PM

I suppose he is.  He's an agnostic.  Why wouldn't he?  Just as believers would hope that unbelievers would grasp the importance of our faith and morality to us, even if they do not agree, we should be congnizant of the agnostic and athiest's unwillingness to submit to codes of behavior and thought that are grounded in spirituality.

Thought to be grounded in spirituality? I doubt the religious or spiritual community has a patent on morality. I'm sure there are many agnostics and athiests out there that are just as moral (maybe even more) than your average church goer.

dontagreeljefe and fusudocmd are showing such audacity to suggest that only true Fathers are those you are priesthood holders of the LDS religion.

M.

A father and mother married in the temple and true to there covenants will be the only one;s that have claim upon there posterity for time and all eternity. Every other relationship ends at death. Temple work is for those that did not have the oppurtunity in this life. Sure it may be done but if someone refused to accept it in this life will they in the next? Section 76 of the doctrine and covenants says people who heard the gosel in this life and don't accept it will go to the terrestial kingdom the honorable people that is if they dont accept the gospel here when offered.

BIZ: This is YOUR belief. Others believe different things. A person who does NOT believe in an afterlife, but who is the best parent (or simply best human being) they can be, surely ARE TRUE parents. I would say that a TBM preisthood holder, who has children born under the covenant, yet who spends so much time at their job or on church jobs and sees their children rarely and let's the Mother raise them, all on the assumption that there is "eternal life" is a BAD FATHER. Yet, under your reasoning, this guy would the more of a TRUE Father than the agnostic who lovingly spends quantity and quality time with his kids IN THIS LIFE.

If I have mischaracterized your position, please correct me. I don't think I misunderstand you, though.

Your reasoning makes no sense to one who does not believe in an afterlife.

I hope my daughter choses someone with which she shares the sames goals, aspirations an objectives.....

Do I think that would be easiest to find in the same church/religion that she grows up in....yes....

Life in marriage IMHO is easier when the person you are sharing it with is on the same wave length...Am i naive enough to think that both individuals MUST be from the same faith to share this...No, but it certainly does help....

In short my ultimate goal is that my daughter finds a man that loves and respects her regardless of religion, race or culture....

I do not remember the General Authority who gave the quote, but in short stated "When a Latter-Day Saint marries outside of the faith, that individual has left their agency in the hands of a spouse that may or may not accept the Gospel."

Regardless of your opinion on the topic, I don't see how anyone would want to sacrifice Eternal Life for a 30, 40, or 50+ year TEMPORAL relationship that can't ultimately bring you the fulness of joy that our Heavenly Father experiences. Not to mention you are introducing children into the world without the covenant, and that could end up resting upon your head and the great and terrible day of judgement. To me it is black and white. Unless that person is willing to get baptized(with an honest witness of the Holy Ghost) and live worthily to enter the temple, it just doesn't seem worth it. But again, I like to adhere as faithfully to the doctrine of the church as I possibly can.