Anyone out there in real estate? Possible career change

Superbaldguy

For a variety of reasons, I may be getting out of the insurance industry and looking at a change. I had thought of real estate since I have heard it's a business that depends on lots of contacts, plus I am familiar with homes and properties.

My concerns are whether or not it's a good time to make the move. I have prayed and fasted about the idea, I am getting the feeling it would be alright.

Are there any forum members who have established a career in RE? Can you be successful at it by not working on Sundays?

Thoughts?

Logic says that real estate is not a good career right now. But, if you are receiving some answers to prayers and feel that it's right for you...then go for it.

Regarding not working on Sunday, honestly, I'm not sure about that. Sundays are so fraught with showings and open houses. I'm sure you'll be able to limit it, but I'm not sure if you can avoid it altogether.

BTW, I have not/do not work in real estate.

What kind of insurance. Here in the states auto is mandatory (in most states) and health will be soon. It like extortion, you pay or you don't drive, it's like you work for the mob, but it's legit. Homes are not a necessity. Perhaps you could get the licensing needed and try it part time?

I primarily sell house insurance. I *could* get a Realtor's license and sell insurance at the same time, might be a conflict. Anyway, I am trying to get out of what I do as I am running into many roadblocks, the writing is on the wall.

wow so either way you're dependent on the restate market.

My sister is in Real Estate. Most of the agents are starving right now. I would not recommend it. My sister is getting by because she is exceedingly smart and adapted to the market situation by expanding her availble services. Of course, you could just as easily be exceedingly smart and get by like she is. But my point is that she was doing very well and now is just getting by where most of her fellow agents are starving.

Hope that helps.

:)

One service I can do for other agents is to photograph their listings. I already have done that a few times, it's no cash cow but helps out with the flow of funds. I wonder if the RE market in Canada is much different than in the States. I need to continue to talk with those in the industry.

Thanks for all that have contributed thus far.