What do people think of LDS members selling alcohol as a bartender/bar owner?

coyotemoon722

My two bobs worth from downunder -:D

I know for me I couldn't and wouldn't sell alcohol, cigarettes, tea or coffee etc because I know it would simply violate the Word of Wisdom. I made a covenant at Baptism to follow our Saviour and each Sunday when I take the Sacrament I renew that covenant.

Since reading the question posed on this thread I started thinking about the various answers and wondered if one of our leaders had an answer on the subject too. I did some research and found this quote (below) by Henry B Eyring in the "I Have a Question" section of the Ensign -

His answer is plain and simple - :conscience:

Hope it helps

Yep the lord would never serve alcohol ;). I know what you mean. But personally (don't know if it changed) but i never made a covenant to avoid things against the WoW. I made a covenant to not partake of them myself. Violation of the WoW by non members hurts them as much as violation of the temple covenants hurts non temple members.

Love this quote though

The only heart we know is ours. And that’s the one we can examine, and change, if it needs it

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all those of you who say that selling booze is bad... how do you think that the Joseph Smith Memorial Building was built?

It was paid for by the money it (then then Hotel Utah - owned and operated by the Church) that came from selling booze in the basement - the biggest bar in the Rocky Mountains.

Anyone who has seen a trendy bar with the hooch attractively and enticingly displayed knows that is not true.

http://www.wedgewoodhotel.com/downloads/fullsize/bacchus_bar.jpg

Fair point. My argument was that a person in a bar is already there to drink. The bartender might encourage them to drink more or to drink something more expensive. But the person is already seeking out the drink on their own.

Fair point. My argument was that a person in a bar is already there to drink. The bartender might encourage them to drink more or to drink something more expensive. But the person is already seeking out the drink on their own.

I don't think the point is solely about the end purveyor of the hooch - that is simply the easy example. The same ethical question would apply to the distiller, the distributor, the marketers, the advertisers and so on and general answer is that, yes, they want and encourage customers to buy their wares

When I first join the church 23 years ago, understanding and excepting the word of wisdom, not just the letter but the spirit of the law, asked my high priest, high councilman home teaching companion, innocently, how it was possible that a member of the church, even serving on the high council could not only run but own a pub. My companion could not give me an answer, perhaps because he was unaware of it. The member was released from his calling shortly afterwards and his daughter then went on a hate campaign against me that still exist to this day.

People have their agency and can make decisions business or otherwise either way but for me and mine we’ll keep clear of pubs especially earning a living from them.

if LDS cannot set an example then who can?

So true.

What we have to do, above all else, is find people who aren't as holy as we are and then denigrate them. We can only elevate ourselves when we put other's down.

Nice touch.