The Characterizes Of God

sonofpaul

NOTE: I know the title is misspelled. It should be Characteristics, but I can not change it.

Hello,

I am looking for peoples views on the character of God that are displayed in history.

I believe that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So, true characterizes of God will be displayed through documents that can be historically verified. Please be willing to provide historical references to support your documents.

I will take the first one:

FAITHFULNESS

There are 2 examples of God's Faithfulness.

1. When Israel was in the wilderness they complained a lot. Yet, God was faithful in providing them with food to eat.

2. God called me to a college that was to expensive for me or my parents to pay for. In faith believed that God would supply the money for me to go and I went. Now that I am done with college, I have very little college debt compare to my friends that attended the same college and the national average for college debt. I believe God was faithful to provide for me.

Son of Paul

I believe the greatest example of the characteristics of G-d are displayed by his creation that G-d intended to model him. Men an women that honestly make effort (with all their heart, might, mind and strength) to love their fellow men. I especially appreciate those that make such effort that have not yet learned of Christ (Good Samaritans). It convinces me that man truly is created in the image of G-d.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Dec 3 2005, 09:39 AM

I believe the greatest example of the characteristics of G-d are displayed by his creation that G-d intended to model him.  Men an women that honestly make effort (with all their heart, might, mind and strength) to love their fellow men.  I especially appreciate those that make such effort that have not yet learned of Christ (Good Samaritans).  It convinces me that man truly is created in the image of G-d.

The Traveler

A sinful and broken people, display the characteristics of God? Where is your historical evidence to support this statement?

Son of Paul

Where do you get "sinful and broken" from "have not learned yet"? :blink:

As one who has been all over the world I have yet to meet any child from any people that does not reflect perfectly the very essence of Christ.

Also, what I believe Traveler is saying is that even if one does not "know of" Christ we all nontheless have "the light of Christ" in us all. And you can "let that light shine" even if you dont realize you're doing it.

I don't think that is a characteristic of God but the Bible says it is... That God is unjustly vengeful - seeking revenge on innocent decendants. The Bedouin Amalekites had attacked the Israelits after the Exodus. Four hundred years later God commande Saul through his prophet Samuel to take revenge:

I Samuel 15:1-3

And Samuel said to Saul, "The LORD sent me to anoint you king over his people Israel; now therefore hearken to the words of the LORD. Thus says the LORD of hosts, `I will punish what Am'alek did to Israel in opposing them on the way, when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and smite Am'alek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ######.'"

It is interesting how contradictory and hypocritical God can be. But is it for us to judge? When it comes to "why" things happen or are commanded, the INTENT is what we ought to judge on. Plus, with things in ancient writing, we do not have all the details. Let us be mindful of such.

As for characteristics of God found in history - mine would be consistentcy. This mmeans he is always working to establish His people here on Earth and lift us up above our carnal natures.