Indirectly Discovering Anti-mormons

prisonchaplain

:idea: If you want to discover someone's motives for coming here--especially if they are not Mormon, don't ask them directly :excl: You've got to ask them a seemingly innocuous question, that subtley reveals their true feelings.

My suggestion? Ask them how the liked the movie, "The Other side of Heaven." You should find out fairly quickly if they are ANTI, EX, NUETRAL, or Open-minded/hearted.

Do you think my scheme has merit? These strings are loose anyway...so feel free to comment on the movie, if you'd like.

My view of the movie can be viewed at this link (look for "PrisonRev's" post):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-review...y=public&page=9

Guest ToasterOfen

I read your review and appreciated it. Yes, I would view you as Open-hearted/open-minded, and spiritually in-tune. As always, I enjoy reading what you have to say and your insight into things. I also appreciate your religious non-mormon views...I think it strengthens everyone when we learn more about one another and each others beliefs.

I don't know if you knew this, but the movie is based on the real life experience of the elder in the movie. There is the book "The Other Side of Heaven" which details, in his own words, his experiences. And he also wrote another book about his later life and going back to serve a mission with his wife.

Originally posted by prisonchaplain@Dec 7 2005, 04:38 PM

...My view of the movie can be viewed at this link (look for "PrisonRev's" post)...

Hey PrisonRev, who have a large selection of reviews, 16 pages worth - you're a busy guy. I glanced at a few that I have also seen (movies), like Crash. It was a thinker, I enjoyed it very much. (PS Paul Haggis is Canadian!) I have not seen The Other Side of Heaven though. I don't have any interest in it yet but maybe some day.

M.

prisonchaplain,Dec 7 2005, 04:38 PM]

:idea: If you want to discover someone's motives for coming here--especially if they are not Mormon, don't ask them directly :excl: You've got to ask them a seemingly innocuous question, that subtley reveals their true feelings.

Actually Chaps, I already have you figured out. And I did it without asking any questions direct or indirect.

You just keep on "planting those seeds". Just be careful, you're a good person so you may find that you're not a sower but fertile soil. ;)

Setheus says:  Actually Chaps, I already have you figured out.  And I did it without asking any questions direct or indirect.

You just keep on "planting those seeds". Just be careful, you're a good person so you may find that you're not a sower but fertile soil. ;)

I'll respond to that with a not-so-famous quote: Who knows what might happen when good people get together?--by me. :D

Prison Chap,

Just curious, If you Changed you're religion to say Catholic or some thing, Would you lose you're job? Does it matter what religion you are or did they hire you for What religion you are, or was it schooling you had? Am very interested let me know please, Thanks a bunchhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Originally posted by Soulsearcher@Dec 8 2005, 08:56 AM

My question is why this is really all that important.  Most Anti's i know are very open and not willing to sit back and keep quiet.  I'm not a fan of the parts that I've seen of the "Other Side of Heaven".  Does that make me an anti?

Heck No! If you were Anti you would be causing some stink on the bord LOL

You are Loved Soul!!!! :wub:

Just curious,  If you Changed you're religion to say Catholic or some thing, Would you lose you're job?  Does it matter what religion you are or did they hire you for What religion you are, or was it schooling you had? Am very interested let me know please, Thanks a bunchhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Ironically, if I changed to Catholic I could work longer. Prison chaplaincy, at the federal level, is a law enforcement position. Therefore, under normal circumstances, we face mandatory retirement at 57. However, if there is a documented shortage of clergy for a particular faith group (i.e. Catholic priests, Jewish rabbis, Muslim imams), then the age restriction can be waived.

I was hired as a Protestant chaplain, and was required to have the following qualifications: M.Div from an ATS approved seminary (or equivalent coursework for faith traditions that do not offer this exact degree), religious ordination as a clergyperson (or equivalent for faith groups that do not have a clergy cadre), Two years full-time religious work, chaplaincy endorsement by my faith group, and ability to facility the religious needs of people outside my faith tradition.

My question is why this is really all that important.  Most Anti's i know are very open and not willing to sit back and keep quiet.  I'm not a fan of the parts that I've seen of the "Other Side of Heaven".  Does that make me an anti?

I was trying to be a bit facetious with this. On the other hand, if you look at several of the reviews of the movie, you will find that several panned it simply because it was Mormon story. A few LDS folk (and others) rated it as poor or mediocre for artistic reasons. "To each his own," on those. The story resonated with me, because I have experienced missionary life, and because it counters the normal anti-missionary bias of Hollywood and some in secular academia.

Originally posted by prisonchaplain@Dec 8 2005, 09:38 AM

Just curious,  If you Changed you're religion to say Catholic or some thing, Would you lose you're job?  Does it matter what religion you are or did they hire you for What religion you are, or was it schooling you had? Am very interested let me know please, Thanks a bunchhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Ironically, if I changed to Catholic I could work longer. Prison chaplaincy, at the federal level, is a law enforcement position. Therefore, under normal circumstances, we face mandatory retirement at 57. However, if there is a documented shortage of clergy for a particular faith group (i.e. Catholic priests, Jewish rabbis, Muslim imams), then the age restriction can be waived.

I was hired as a Protestant chaplain, and was required to have the following qualifications: M.Div from an ATS approved seminary (or equivalent coursework for faith traditions that do not offer this exact degree), religious ordination as a clergyperson (or equivalent for faith groups that do not have a clergy cadre), Two years full-time religious work, chaplaincy endorsement by my faith group, and ability to facility the religious needs of people outside my faith tradition.

Ok but does that mean you can help with all religions there? or only those who are of your faith or what you have studied? I mean could you advise say a Mormon or a catholic?

Originally posted by lisajo@Dec 8 2005, 10:57 AM

Ok but does that mean you can help with all religions there? or only those who are of your faith or what you have studied? I mean could you advise  say a Mormon or a catholic?

But why would a Mormon be in prison? Just kidding... :P

M.

Jason says to Lisajo,  Clergy persons are requried to administer to all faiths.  That goes for the military too.  They specialize in their own faith, but are usually willing to help others if requested.

Jason is basically right. Chaplains in a correctional setting have even more responsibility to facilitate the religious practice of those outside our faith. HOWEVER, we do not officiate or lead those services. We recruit volunteers, acquire teaching materials and acourterments, and offer general spiritual counsel.

On the other hand, it is not unusual for inmates of other faiths to attend the services I do conduct. Likewise, our volunteers will often have inmates sit in on their services who are not practing members.

Are we getting to the heart of your question Lisajo?