Thinking ahead...best private schools for LDS kids?

rebeccagrace

Hi everyone,

Although my husband and I do not have kids yet, we are thinking ahead because we want the best for them. When I was growing up as a Baptist I went to private schools, which, because we moved so much, ranged from Baptist to Lutheran. I don't ever recall being taught anything that might be discordant with my beliefs as a LDS, but now that we are ready to have kids the discussion has come up. My husband grew up going to public school which was fine, but we decided that private school is what we want for our kids. So I guess my question is what kind of private school would be most in tune with our beliefs? I've done a bit of research and Episcopalian seems to be fairly all right...I think Catholic might be out because they do, as far as I know, make the kids participate in Mass, and teach them the Rosary and Hail Mary's and all of that, which I'm not comfortable with. We are also considering some of the local Christian schools, but sometimes they have a strong evangelical viewpoint which is incompatible with our faith, so...

Do any of you send your kids to private school? Which denomination is it? Are you comfortable with what they are taught, religion-wise?

We were friends with a couple in our old ward that sent their daughters to an Episcopal day school and they liked it fine. We never really discussed it in any detail though because we weren't thinking that far ahead back then!

I'd love some advice! Thanks very much.

Rebecca

There are several non-religious private schools that have good reputations.

Catholic schools are great! Yes, you go to mass and what-not but you don't have to take the Eucharist and you don't have to go to confession.

Learning about the Rosary and all that is also great! It gives you a better appreciation for the prayer-the LDS way.

Learning Catholicism is actually very important in understanding the Apostasy. So, I would rather my kids go to Catholic schools rather than any other religious school.

I went to Catholic schools from kindergarten until I received my bachelor's degree. And that learning was very crucial to my conversion to LDS.

I've often wondered how bad society's pressures on public schools will have to get before the Church begins to consider a K thru 12 private school program run by the Church. It would be nice to have the option.

I know that the overall learning experience at Ricks College was vastly superior to Utah State University and University of Utah. The requirements imposed upon public universities seem to tend to hamstring those institutions. I learned more information of all types at Ricks. I think this is largely a credit to lack of interference and micro-managing by governments, judicial systems, etc.

As far as private Christian Schools are concerned I believe it depends on the School.

Not all are the same.

Independent Baptist Churches do not walk in lockstep with each other but some are vigorously

Anti-Mormon while others are quite neutral as far as other denominations are concerned.

I would be very careful in investigating the school first.

Some have a very good Church History class which teaches the Apostasy very well.

Again, proceed with care and stay involved.

Most only require that your family attend Church. Not necessary the school church.

I've often wondered how bad society's pressures on public schools will have to get before the Church begins to consider a K thru 12 private school program run by the Church. It would be nice to have the option.

Not very long ago that was an option in Utah. Within the last century, I believe.

There are several non-religious private schools that have good reputations.

Catholic schools are great! Yes, you go to mass and what-not but you don't have to take the Eucharist and you don't have to go to confession.

Learning about the Rosary and all that is also great! It gives you a better appreciation for the prayer-the LDS way.

Learning Catholicism is actually very important in understanding the Apostasy. So, I would rather my kids go to Catholic schools rather than any other religious school.

I went to Catholic schools from kindergarten until I received my bachelor's degree. And that learning was very crucial to my conversion to LDS.

Thanks, that was really helpful to learn because I guess I had this vision of our kids being forced to pray to Mary and such. My stepmother is Catholic and I grew up going to Mass with her sometimes and I remember enjoying it, and it not taking away from my faith at all.

I think with a bit more research, and of course visiting the schools I have in mind, I'm sure we'll find the perfect one for us!

Guest Alana

I went to a Christian School for 1st and 2nd grade. I think it was a non denominational school. It was actually very key in my own conversion at only 10 years old. Before joining this church, my dad and I weren't very religious, we would go to a couple of different churches a few times a year. Even though I was 6 and 7 and had no religious education I remember not agreeing with a lot that was taught at that school. Maybe some kids just take what their teachers tell them at face value, but I remember not agreeing (and not saying anything) and then later when I took the missionary lessons thinking, "NOW THIS is what I believe in!" and it was actually nice to compare what I had been taught at school to what I was being taught by the missionaries.

Long story short, even if you choose a school that has a religious leaning, it doesn't mean you kids will believe that, especially if you keep a dialog going on at home about it.

Thanks, that was really helpful to learn because I guess I had this vision of our kids being forced to pray to Mary and such. My stepmother is Catholic and I grew up going to Mass with her sometimes and I remember enjoying it, and it not taking away from my faith at all.

One quick comment on this. When i was working with LDS kids the parents made sure i did nightly prayers with the kids, with the older ones it was fine but with the 3 year old it was awkward. being i was raised Catholic it was odd for me so i let the young boy pick the our father or the hail mary. He picked the hail mary. One night the parents were saying prayer and he asked for the hail mary. the parents were upset until we actually got to the root of the prayer. It's not so much a prayer as it is praising mary for her role in bringing the savior to the world and asking her to pray for us to her son and his father. I asked the parents if it was really any different than the prayer role at the temple and they really couldn't argue much.

• 2 years later...

I live near Loma Linda, CA which is like Provo for Seventh Day Adventists (SDA). They have a k-12 academy that I have heard wonderful things about. I attended Loma Linda University for my masters and came to understand that the SDA people share a lot of similar beliefs as us.

Yeah, that may be true to some extent but remember.

The big problem in sending our (unarmed) children to their schools is "The 'Mormons' are a cult".:confused:

But many do send their children to theirs and other protestant schools without much confusion to their kids.

Good luck.:cool:

Teach them at home.:P