Do you feel that dreams have real meaning?

theBUBBAMANcan

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I say don't go to LDS.net for your answer on this. Go with your gut feeling. Our ancestors sometimes can communicate with us from the other side. I have had dreams that meant something. Dreams can be a form of personal revelation. My husband was warned in a dream one time.

Nonsense dreams that you do or don't remember are one thing. Dreams where you are talking to a deceased relative are entirely different.

Just now during my nap I had a dream that got me really curious. It was totally unlike my usual dreams [which are often random, jump from scene to scene, and are largely illogical]. It involved me in an old house and talking to an old lady I've never seen before but who told me she was essentially from the past, moved to the US from England several hundred years ago and some other stuff.

I basically had the impression during the dream that she might be an ancestor of mine as I know from my mom's geneology studying that we're largely English. Besides the fact that she said she moved to the US a couple hundred years before Columbus even went over.

So... nonsense or could there be something to it?

[sorry btw, don't mean to hijack the thread. ^_^]

Here's the rules according to DandC to tell if its a real angelic administration. A lot of people would gain a lot of benefit from reading this. (Especially korihor, an ANGEL told you there was no God? Really now?) Among others.

"SECTION 129

Instructions given by Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, February 9, 1843, making known three grand keys by which the correct nature of ministering angels and spirits may be distinguished. HC 5: 267.

1–3, There are both resurrected and spirit bodies in heaven; 4–9, Keys are given whereby messengers from beyond the veil may be identified.

1 THERE are two kinds of beings in aheaven, namely: bAngels, who are cresurrected personages, having dbodies of flesh and bones—

2 For instance, Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not aflesh and bones, as ye see me have.

3 Secondly: the aspirits of bjust men made cperfect, they who are not resurrected, but inherit the same glory.

4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.

5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.

6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear—

7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the aorder of heaven for a just man to bdeceive; but he will still deliver his message.

8 If it be the adevil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not bfeel anything; you may therefore detect him.

9 These are three grand akeys whereby you may kno"w whether any administration is from God.

I'm in the process of getting a divorce. I found out that my wife was having an affair. We have 3 kids and have been married 8 years.

Filing for a divorce was the most difficult decision of my life...mostly because I hate to do anything that causes pain to my children.

My wife has had problems with alcoholism for her whole life, and she is not dealing with it.

The problem has been actually getting much worse over the years. I hate to imagine how it would be to still be with her in another 10 yrs.

I had a dream a few nights ago. In it, I spoke with my father...who has been deceased since '93. I asked him in this dream if I was doing the right thing. He said nothing but just nodded his head "yes".

This dream haunts me. I usually don't even remember my dreams.

Should I give any meaning to this dream?

So sorry to hear this bubbaman. I think dreams can go either way. A friend of mine is a neurophysiologist, and tells me that dreams are a way for the brain to organize and discard information and that meaning shouldn't be very relevant beyond perhaps the generic topic of what you think is relevant in your life as an issue (which obviously this is). Most times the frontal lobe is not engaged and thus dreams aren't really very determinative for decision making, etc. A good article he reffered me to is here dreams - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com, the bottom of the page has many good references.

An unfaithful wife that won't address her alcoholism is a serious problem, and I don't think it is unreasonable for you to want a divorce, certainly your kids might be better off being raised in a happier single parent home than in that situation. If you could forgive the infidelity and get her help perhaps it is salvageable, but that is a tall order, and a very personal and fact specific decision.

Either way, I wish you the best and hope you and your children end up happy and healthy regardless of the means.

DEc

Here's the rules according to DandC to tell if its a real angelic administration. A lot of people would gain a lot of benefit from reading this. (Especially korihor, an ANGEL told you there was no God? Really now?) Among others.

"SECTION 129

Instructions given by Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, February 9, 1843, making known three grand keys by which the correct nature of ministering angels and spirits may be distinguished. HC 5: 267.

1–3, There are both resurrected and spirit bodies in heaven; 4–9, Keys are given whereby messengers from beyond the veil may be identified.

1 THERE are two kinds of beings in aheaven, namely: bAngels, who are cresurrected personages, having dbodies of flesh and bones—

2 For instance, Jesus said: Handle me and see, for a spirit hath not aflesh and bones, as ye see me have.

3 Secondly: the aspirits of bjust men made cperfect, they who are not resurrected, but inherit the same glory.

4 When a messenger comes saying he has a message from God, offer him your hand and request him to shake hands with you.

5 If he be an angel he will do so, and you will feel his hand.

6 If he be the spirit of a just man made perfect he will come in his glory; for that is the only way he can appear—

7 Ask him to shake hands with you, but he will not move, because it is contrary to the aorder of heaven for a just man to bdeceive; but he will still deliver his message.

8 If it be the adevil as an angel of light, when you ask him to shake hands he will offer you his hand, and you will not bfeel anything; you may therefore detect him.

9 These are three grand akeys whereby you may kno"w whether any administration is from God.

I've used that passage many times in spiritual conversations with non-member friends, without referring to it as a passage of scripture, and they were always impressed with the simple logic. If they inquired further, it turned into a wonderful missionary moment. ^-^