well I'd be stoned.. or was it darned?

dizzysmiles

Thanks for the comments, SanctitasDeo. It's good to read that someone finds some of what I share interesting. Since 9/11 it's been quite hard to share my experiences with fellow Americans, even with fellow Mormons. In church in the US I've learned that it's often better to be quiet since what I share doesn't usually fit the groupthink. So it's always a refreshing boost to read that someone finds what I share interesting.

I find your posts very informative and interesting. You sound very knowledgeable about the customs and rules. How long have you been living there?

Sorry for my delay answering your question, Yorkiebeebs. I've been in Saudi off-and-on since three years before 9/11. I arrived in Saudi shortly after the bombing of Khobar Towers, which is about 7 miles from my apartment. One thing that makes my views different, for good or bad, is that I have never lived on a western compound where most westerners live. I live among the Saudis which means there is no buffer zone between me and them. Whenever you learn about Saudi from an expat, you have to be aware of what they were doing in Saudi and how they lived. If I were military or a government employee, my views and experiences would be different from those of others not there in that capacity. Moreover, those who live on western compounds have different views and experiences from those who live off the reservation, so to speak. So our views and experiences are very much colored by where we live and what we do in Saudi. I do need to forewarn you, however. My views are not the typical American or Mormon American views. I sometimes get in trouble saying something fellow Mormons that they really don't like to hear. One actually exasperated with me and told me that my problem was that I didn't really understand what Muslims were like because I'd lived among them too long. So be careful!

Edited by Sean1427