Purpose of Terrestrial and Telestial bodies.

Cursing the 'waters' is not given to Satan. He has no power over the elements of the earth [see Revelations]. It is given to those angels or destroyers to be that enforcer.

Do you remember the journal entry, when one of the Saints thought he saw the devil on horseback on the river? Seeing it analogical power, it was not a devil or Lucifer; it was a destroyer [an angel] on horseback, enforcing the commandment of GOD. Joseph did not call it a devil or Lucifer after he sought further guidance but a destroyer.

This topic may require further research and ponderous prayer for clarity.

How about this:

Satan/Dominion over waters - FAIRMormon

Nice to scholary work and what President J. Fielding Smith provide but this requires further ponderous moments and allow the Holy Ghost to instruct whom is the real destroyer. It is not Satan.

Take a close look what is provided here but ask the Lord why is it necessary for the last days to have the water curse and whom is over the water? You may be surprised to learn something that won't be found in any article given by FARM. It is more of a positive aspect for us to have the water curse.

D&C 61: 13-19

13 And now, behold, for your good I gave unto you a commandment concerning these things; and I, the Lord, will reason with you as with men in days of old.

14 Behold, I, the Lord, in the beginning blessed the waters; but in the last days, by the mouth of my servant John, I cursed the waters.

15 Wherefore, the days will come that no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.

16 And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.

17 And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.

18 And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;

19 I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree.

Concerning who rules over the water, firsthand witnessed by a vision given to John (see Rev. 7:1-6 [see D&C 77:8-9], 16:4-5,6,12)

7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

7:2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

7:3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.

16:4 And the third angel poured out his vial upon the rivers and fountains of waters; and they became blood.

16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.

16:12 And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

16:6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

Joseph never, ever, stated in his journal when he acquiring at the hand of the Lord whom was this destroyer on horseback. He did not use words, SATAN or DEVIL. Neither Satan has any power over the waters of the earth or any element what any person will give to him. The elements do not honor or give power to Satan. It is given to the four and those assigned to rule over the earth, in doing the bidding for GOD and the Lord.

Again, research it out, allow it to ponder, and then ask GOD for the correct answer. ;)