What Do You Think of This

I have often read the below prophecy and could not comprehend what the prophecy meant. Then today I ran across some more information in the book Jesus The Christ. It makes the below prophecy Joseph Smith made more interesting to me.

"Were I going to prophesy, I would say the end would not come in 1844, 5, or 6, or in forty years. There are those of the rising generation who shall not taste death till Christ comes." -- Joseph Smith Junior

"This Generation."—Consult any reliable unabridged dictionary of the English language for evidence of the fact that the term "generation," as connoting a period of time, has many meanings, among which are "race, kind, class." The term is not confined to a body of people living at one time. Fausett's Bible Cyclopedia, Critical and Expository, after citing many meanings attached to the word, says: "In Matthew 24:34 'this generation shall not pass (viz. the Jewish race, of which the generation in Christ's days was a sample in character; compare Christ's address to the "generation," 23:35, 36, in proof that "generation" means at times the whole Jewish race) till all these things be fulfilled'—a prophecy that the Jews shall be a distinct people still when He shall come again." Jesus The Christ -- James E. Talmage, Page 590

I have often read the below prophecy and could not comprehend what the prophecy meant. Then today I ran across some more information in the book Jesus The Christ. It makes the below prophecy Joseph Smith made more interesting to me.

"Were I going to prophesy, I would say the end would not come in 1844, 5, or 6, or in forty years. There are those of the rising generation who shall not taste death till Christ comes." -- Joseph Smith Junior

"This Generation."—Consult any reliable unabridged dictionary of the English language for evidence of the fact that the term "generation," as connoting a period of time, has many meanings, among which are "race, kind, class." The term is not confined to a body of people living at one time. Fausett's Bible Cyclopedia, Critical and Expository, after citing many meanings attached to the word, says: "In Matthew 24:34 'this generation shall not pass (viz. the Jewish race, of which the generation in Christ's days was a sample in character; compare Christ's address to the "generation," 23:35, 36, in proof that "generation" means at times the whole Jewish race) till all these things be fulfilled'—a prophecy that the Jews shall be a distinct people still when He shall come again." Jesus The Christ -- James E. Talmage, Page 590

He was not told...not everything was revealed to Joseph Smith. Even Moroni didn't know his death but only assumed he was going to die. He remained alive for another four years.

However, this is the generation of people that will either meet their doom or be in paradise.

He was not told...not everything was revealed to Joseph Smith. Even Moroni didn't know his death but only assumed he was going to die. He remained alive for another four years.

However, this is the generation of people that will either meet their doom or be in paradise.

I am beginning to think that the Prophet Joseph Smith Junior was being humorous when he made this statement. Reading writings about him I find an element of humor in his many of his recorded statements.