Older Kids Interacting With Younger Kids

Bini

No, he is actually a twin so he should have someone to play with all the time. We live in a nice neighborhood with several other young men his own age. Both boys (the twins) seem like they are socially behind though.

Then yeah, that's odd that he would rather play with a 4-year-old. There might be some deeper psychological issues involved.

If I was faced with a case like this with my own children, compassion for the 12-year-old will lead me to get to know him and his family better, in case there might be something I can do to help him. At the same time, I would keep a closer eye on my 4-year-old to make sure that if there is a psychological issue afoot that my child is insulated from it.

Then yeah, that's odd that he would rather play with a 4-year-old. There might be some deeper psychological issues involved.

If I was faced with a case like this with my own children, compassion for the 12-year-old will lead me to get to know him and his family better, in case there might be something I can do to help him. At the same time, I would keep a closer eye on my 4-year-old to make sure that if there is a psychological issue afoot that my child is insulated from it.

You are wise in your thinking! Way to be justaname and anatess... and great question to be asking. It's parents like you that give hope to the rising generation.

No, he is actually a twin so he should have someone to play with all the time. We live in a nice neighborhood with several other young men his own age. Both boys (the twins) seem like they are socially behind though.

maybe its because he feels safe and knows the 4 year old won't pick on him, or because he is behind he feels more able to understand. No different to the older people I know with issues who are actually more comfortable with children because they are taken for who they are. You have to go with your gut, if its making you uncomfortable stop it, but ordinarily I'd just watch and see why. Does your 4 year old like playing with him? he may also be getting things from the interaction