Bom Stumbling Block - New Ot Perspective

inactivetx

Hi - I'm Back! LOL

Anyways, I completed the BoM reading challenge by reading 5 pages a day and determined that if I did the same with the Bible I would finish in a year so I started Jan 1st with Genesis.

So, what do I read in Chapter 12 : Abraham tells the official that Sarah is his sister and not his wife. Well, lo and behold, he does the same EXACT thing in chapter 20 with a different official! So I guess scriptures do repeat themselves.

Just wanted to share that observation. It is rather enlightening to read the OT after reading the BoM and note the similarities as well as the differences.

Thanks for letting me comment.

InActiveTx

I don't see anythng wrong with scriptures repeating themselves. How many times did people profesy (sp?) of Jesus....gets kinda old reading it again and again.

How is this a stumbling block for you...maybe I just don't see it the way you do. I'd like to try to help though if I can

I don't see anythng wrong with scriptures repeating themselves. How many times did people profesy (sp?) of Jesus....gets kinda old reading it again and again.

How is this a stumbling block for you...maybe I just don't see it the way you do. I'd like to try to help though if I can

Sometimes I read othertimes i listen to the CD while cleaning or doing laundry.

just a thought.

• 4 months later...

Hi - I'm Back! LOL

Anyways, I completed the BoM reading challenge by reading 5 pages a day and determined that if I did the same with the Bible I would finish in a year so I started Jan 1st with Genesis.

So, what do I read in Chapter 12 : Abraham tells the official that Sarah is his sister and not his wife. Well, lo and behold, he does the same EXACT thing in chapter 20 with a different official! So I guess scriptures do repeat themselves.

Just wanted to share that observation. It is rather enlightening to read the OT after reading the BoM and note the similarities as well as the differences.

InActiveTx

There are important reasons that there is duplication in scripture. One of the concepts is known as type and shadowing. This concept is that every story is a type and a shadow for another story. For example take the Israel leaving Egypt and going to the promise land. This is a type and shadow for your own efforts and needs to rely of G-d to leave behind the world and journey to the promised land of eternal life.

Let us look at another prophetic typing and shadowing from scripture. Look at Matt 6:10 (the L-rd’s prayer). Here we learn that the events on earth have a clue to things that took place in heaven and what takes place in heaven will one day take place on earth. Remember how Satan and the host of heaven that followed Satan were cast out of Heaven? Some time in the future they will be cast out of earthly society as well.

Now look at Ecclesiastes 1:9-11. This tells us that everything that we see happening has happened before. All of the arguments Jesus had with the Scribes and Pharisees will occur again in our day. So you may ask yourself – who are the modern day Scribes and Pharisees of our day?

Now look at Genesis 41:25 Here we learn that G-d repeats himself - Verse 32 tells us why G-d does this. Consider this reason of the L-rd and wonder why he would provide the Book of Mormon which is really a repeat of things we know from Bible Scripture.

The Traveler

• 2 months later...

Hi - I'm Back! LOL

InActiveTx

inactivetx....hey its good to see comments up here! I'm new at this myself haha! Anyway thats a good goal to have...I hope that you are having luck with reading the Bible....

You want to know what is really interesting about that whole thing. Sarah was actually the Daughter of Haran if I remember correctly....and Haran was the Brother of Abraham...in those days when a brother died, the other brothers would take his children and raise them as if they were theirs, or otherwise as in Abrahams position he married his neice... crazy huh?