"Faith In God", am I in trouble..

Tamiele

I am homeschooling a special needs kid. I haven't added "Faith In God" requirements into his list of skills that needed working on. Now he is 1 year to turning 12. I am not a life-time member and so haven't done this type of thing before. I started looking through them and I want to throw up with what looks to be a big undertaking. Working with my son has had many challenges and I was hoping to lighten his load. Can anyone comment on these things? How detailed do we need to be? I am not even sure if he can write/journal to the extent they are asking for. He is slowly relearning to print as he had to switch hands (long story). Of course, I want him to be strong in the church and each of these requirements would strengthen his testimony. I just feel resentful right now that an already busy and demanding schedule, we now have to add these things to it as well. Ugh!!:(

If earning that recognition is important to him, I'd meet with your bishop to modify the requirements. I'm certain there's a way to make it do-able for him. I'd go over the activities with the Bishop, select the ones that are most important for him to do (based on his needs, not which are Most Important by any other measure), and have him do those.

Best wishes!

You want him to be strong in the church because God loves him. Not because the Church is tedious. Please, don't burden yourself and him or become guilt ridden. Do one thing that gets you and him out of hyour comfort zone or that you might not have done, and then you call it good. so many of the Young women's value projects, etc, are just things the girls are doing anyway. They aren't stretching. When you have a child that doing just a little more is stretching, that's problably more of an accomplishment than for a lot of these kids that complete it. Just do one thing. Just one thing, and then applaude both you and him, and move on with your busy schedule. Maybe next Sunday do one more thing. If standing up and getting the award is something that will make him feel good, then you decide how much he needs to do to stretch a little without feeling burdened, and then get him the award.

I've had kids want it. I've had two that refused to do it because they didn't want to be forced into doing something like that. They turned out okay.

Good luck.

Andie

HOpe this makes sense. Don't have time to reread. I have one of those kids who needs help with homework.

I would love to hear how it goes.

Oh, so it isn't necessary to move into Young Men's? Or to receive the Aaronic Priesthood? So not every kid gets it? Wow, am I relieved. I don't want to deny my kid the opportunity to get the award - but I honestly feel he has battled with therapies and struggling through academically - I hate to put more on him.

Honestly, I didn't get it. I regret that because I could have done it, but didn't. But it isn't the end of the world. My brother received his and I am happy for him, but the point of the award is to assist Young Men learn certain skills and principles of the gospel. Those principles are what is important. The award merely organizes and perhaps motivates. If he is learning the gospel, I wouldn't worry about the program (Nephi didn't earn his Faith in God award either ;) ).

Guest Alana

If he has only a year before he's 12 and it would be a burden for the two of you, it's OK if it doesn't happen!

Sure, it would be great if he got the award, had been working on it, and it smoothly was incorporated into his life. Since that's not the case, and especially since he's needing a extra help with other things right now, it's alright not to focus on the award.

I loved the idea of doing a modified version, even if it's not for the award. Find things that will work for the two of you. Use the Faith In God program to inspire you and your son as to what you could do to help build his testimony. That's the important thing, not the actual award.

When in Young Mens do they do a similar program? Or is that only tied to scouts? I know in Young Womens we did a program that included lots of small projects and some larger ones. If you know what's coming up ahead of time it'll make it sooooo much easier to incorporate it into your weekly routine.

Faith In God is something the Young Men work on until they are 18. So you have many years to work on it.

I also recommend you talk with your Bishop, and get the involvement of him and the Young Mens President/Leaders to help and assist you.

When I was in Young Women's, it was stressed to us by the Stake YW Presidency that the YW Presidency/Leaders were to work WITH the parents and the Young Women. I know this was stressed to the Young Mens leadership as well - 'cause we were all together in the Chapel.

Edited: Okay, so I looked up Faith In God- this IS done in Primary not in Young Mens. We didn't have this when I was called in Primary.

I did a quick scan of the book. Most of these requirements are rather simple, some you are already doing daily. Because your son has special needs, the Primary Presidency and the Bishopric should be helping you in helping your son. Learning the Articles of Faith: Have him memorize one a week. Give his testimony: This he can give in front of you. Remember a testimony is NOT a 5 minute to 20 minute dialogue. Does he understand that God loves him? That is a testimony! Work with the Primary Presidency on this. I am sure they will be more than happy to assist you and your son.

Edited by Iggy

Faith In God is something the Young Men work on until they are 18. So you have many years to work on it.

Actually, that's Duty to God, which is changing this summer anyway. Faith in God is the award that Primary kids can earn before they advance to YM or YW.

(sorry, didn't have anything to add to the other excellent suggestions: if it's a big deal, work with your bishop and Primary president; if not, it won't matter if he doesn't earn it.)

all programs can be modified based on individual needs. talk to the primary pres (who will run decisions past the bishop) about making the changes you see fit and still meet the spirit of the requirement. also you can (depending on the disability) keep him in primary an extra yr. sometimes kids that move forward quickly will be asked to do more than the minimum required activities to earn theirs. so changes are made all the time on the individual level in both directions. focus on the spirit of things and you will do right by him.