Would You Buy This Doll?

Fiannan

Fulla sells better because it is closer to our Arab values: she never reveals a leg or an arm," says Tarek Mohammed, chief salesman at a Toys'R'Us branch in Mohandessin, one of Cairo's more upmarket neighbourhoods.

The Arab answer to Barbie has been selling like hot cakes for Eid Al-Adha, the most important holiday in the Muslim calendar, not least because it is cheaper than its American rival, although both are made in China.

Fulla is not the first Islamic doll but none of her predecessors have taken the regional market by storm like she has, selling some two million since its creation two years ago by the Emirates-based NewBoy Design Studio.

Saudi Arabia's religious police had then just banned "Barbie the Jewish doll", whose "revealing clothes and shameful postures, accessories and tools are a symbol of decadence to the perverted West."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/afplifestylearabegypt

You know, I tried to keep my daughters away from Barbie for the longest time but eventually the wife gave in. I am pleased that they still prefer dolls that resemble babies or the fully dressed Russian dolls I have bought for them. It might be interesting to add this doll to my daughter's collection.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you are a doll collector?

If I were a doll collector, I would buy it...it is sure to be a collector's item.

I wouldn't want my daughter to get the wrong idea about having to cover herself from head to toe to appease a man. ;-)

On the other hand, I wouldn't (and didn't) buy the "hoochie mama" Barbies for my daughter.

BTW, did you know that the designers made Barbie a bit plumper, to be more realistic. The average size of American women is 14. Marilyn Monroe was a size 14...which proves you don't have to be anorexic to be sexy!

<div class='quotemain'>

What if you are a doll collector?

If I were a doll collector, I would buy it...it is sure to be a collector's item.

I wouldn't want my daughter to get the wrong idea about having to cover herself from head to toe to appease a man. ;-)

On the other hand, I wouldn't (and didn't) buy the "hoochie mama" Barbies for my daughter.

BTW, did you know that the designers made Barbie a bit plumper, to be more realistic. The average size of American women is 14. Marilyn Monroe was a size 14...which proves you don't have to be anorexic to be sexy!

I'm with you on the 'you don't have to be anorexic to be sexy' thing. But Marilyn Monroe did not wear a present day size 14. The measurements of ladies clothing sizes has increased over the years. From what I understand, she was really around a size 8!

I'm with you on the 'you don't have to be anorexic to be sexy' thing. But Marilyn Monroe did not wear a present day size 14. The measurements of ladies clothing sizes has increased over the years. From what I understand, she was really around a size 8!

Did you know that clothes are now being manufactured in larger sizes, to fit the ever-increasing American waist line? ;-)

Here's one doll you can get any female relative who has decided that getting married and having kids is just not important:

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=1-1141846500-0#

:D

That reminds me of our friend who has a hospice for cats. Never having had children, her cats are her babies. She gets very upset whenever they pass to the other side, and mourns their passing, as you would losing a family member.