Cloth diapers vs. plastic?

lizzy12

No, we have a toilet (oh wow, would that be interesting if we didn't); I just never thought of putting them in there, lol. I don't even know the "process" that goes behind cleaning cloth diapers.

its not difficult lol I use fleece liners with mine because they keep baby dry. I just hold liner and if necessary nappy under the flush and flush the loo to get the worst off... then put them in the mesh bag in the nappy bucket. Mesh bag goes into washing machine with all the nappies. Usually everything comes out, if not place offending nappy in direct sunlight somewhere to remove a stain. Just can't use fabric conditioner as it affects absorbency.

Its no worse than dealing with accidents in pants later on.

Washing cloth diapers is *so* easy. This is how I clean my cloth diapers:

*Empty any solid poop into the toilet (it typically just rolls right off, unless it's the mushy kind, and then that will come out in the wash, so I don't worry about it).

*Hold diaper over pail and shake gently to get the absorbant inner part to slide out of the pocket and into the pail (I use pocket diapers like FuzziBunz where you "stuff" a diaper -made up of a fleece liner sewn onto a leak-proof outter that snaps or velcros in place around the baby's waist- with absorbant microterry inserts)

*Dump pocket portion of diaper into the pail which is lined with a leak-proof bag.

*On laundry day remove bag from diaper pail and dump contents into the washing machine, then toss the bag in on top. Wash on a Hot/Hot or Hot/Cold cycle with 1/4 cup Free & Clear degergent plus a few drops of Tea Tree Oil.

*To dry I put the microterry inserts into the dryer, and the pocket diapers on top of the dryer, and run dryer until inserts are dry (on hot or low heat). Throw pockets into the dryer for the last 10 minutes.

*Done. :D

And as a friendly Public Service Announcement: I wouldn't base my decision to cloth diaper based on the advice of people who cloth diapered 15 or more years ago (and I mean that respectfully). The diapers available today are SO SO different now. They're very user-friendly, very absorbant,NO PINS, no plastic pants, no special folding (unless you use pre-folds, but then it's not complicated and only takes about 3 seconds to have it ready to put on the baby's bum). They're held in place with snaps or velcro that is *very* strong, they're very breathable, and very customizable. They're also super CUTE! ^_^

(Hopefully this works) Here is my daughter (turns 6 next month! :eek: ) in an adorable work-at-home-mom made diaper cover with a prefold undernieth (can't see the prefold).

Posted Image

Edited by Jenamarie

• 8 months later...

I have used cloth on my 1st - didn't last long. Discovered modern cloth and dry pailing and it was much easier with my third and forth children. Due with 5th and we will use cloth again. Its easy and much cheaper. I haven't found it difficult, its actually nicer not to buy disposables and fill up the rubbish so quickly like we used to (and our wheely bins are much smaller now with the trend in recycling - a friend complains about her bin being too small as she has 2 in nappies.). Its much cheaper now as I only have to buy the occasional replacement. I also knit/crochet covers which saves money.