Should I pay tithing on this?

bonanzafan

Hidden

Unless you earned it, I would say no. My husband and I have had our financial struggles and while our parents have helped us out a bit, we've not paid tithing on that money as it was a donation rather than something we had worked for at the time.

But maybe I'm wrong? If so, I'm sure someone will correct me!

By definition, tithing is 10% of ALL income (this obviously doesn't include income that comes from church support, as that'd be pointless). So basically how you got the income isn't really that important, it still needs to be tithed. That said, it's up to each individual what they want to do.

Guest Alana

If it's a gift, I would with out a doubt. If it's to be paid back, then no.

Today I was talking to my son about tithing and I was really trying to drive home the point that the blessings we receive from Heavenly Father for paying tithing are so much bigger than any financial gain we would receive from keeping the money. Keeping that in mind makes it a little easier when money is tight.

No, I don't think you need to pay tithing on it (but it in the end, it's purely a personal decision).

Your parents are helping you survive and not be homeless, they are not giving you a gift to spend the way you like. If they were giving you a living allowance to spend as you like and not just bill money, it might be a different story. You have not really received any increase, your parents are just providing you with the things you'd have if you lived at home, like electricity and hot water.

If you are working part-time and paying tithing on that, everything else is up to you.