Missions

Aristotle

As members of the LDS Church, we understand that there are different types of missions. There are personal missions...what our mission is in life; there are mission calls...missionaries called to serve in the mission field; there are ward missionaries (which my husband, Aristotle, was just called to serve)...aiding the missionaries and home teachers in teaching the gospel to part member/inactive families.

A different type of a "mission" I learned about years ago at a political forum I organized on satanism and the new age movement. My special guest speaker was a prison chaplain trained in the occult, and his job was to counsel prisoners who had been involved in satanism. At the meeting, he showed a videotape of a former satanist who had been called to serve a "mission" by Anton LaVey's Church of Satan (headquartered in CA) to infiltrate a Christian church. This man said the first thing he did was to create dissention amongst the congregation by gossiping about its members. When the members started arguing and fighting amongst themselves, he turned his attention toward the clergy, and soon the members began to question the pastor. The ex-satanist said his "mission" was very successful.

- Mrs. A

As members of the LDS Church, we understand that there are different types of missions. There are personal missions...what our mission is in life; there are mission calls...missionaries called to serve in the mission field; there are ward missionaries (which my husband, Aristotle, was just called to serve)...aiding the missionaries and home teachers in teaching the gospel to part member/inactive families.

A different type of a "mission" I learned about years ago at a political forum I organized on satanism and the new age movement. My special guest speaker was a prison chaplain trained in the occult, and his job was to counsel prisoners who had been involved in satanism. At the meeting, he showed a videotape of a former satanist who had been called to serve a "mission" by Anton LaVey's Church of Satan (headquartered in CA) to infiltrate a Christian church. This man said the first thing he did was to create dissention amongst the congregation by gossiping about its members. When the members started arguing and fighting amongst themselves, he turned his attention toward the clergy, and soon the members began to question the pastor. The ex-satanist said his "mission" was very successful.

- Mrs. A

My guess is that the majority of churches have such missionaries--except that they really believe themselves to be believers, and have no affiliation with organized Satanism. <_<

- Mrs. A

I think your guest was making it up. That's the most commonly held piece of folklore out there. It's all over the internet. Ex-satanists for Jesus always seem to say the same thing.

Im with prisonchaplain, it happens with our without organized satanism.

I think your guest was making it up. That's the most commonly held piece of folklore out there. It's all over the internet. Ex-satanists for Jesus always seem to say the same thing.

It was a videotaped interview...hence, not made up.

We have plenty of gossips in church without needed someone to come and infiltrate to cause gossip.

One of the worst sins in the church. Gossip and that old exercise of jumping to conclusions.

Ben

Yep! I'd say falsely accusing someone is right up there with gossip.

The ex-satanist said his "mission" was very successful.

Let's hope that guy wasn't Mike Warnke! :D

Just kidding. Mr. Warnke did things the other way. Pretended to be an ex-satanist to see how many gulible people he could convince.

Selling Satan: The Tragic History of Mike Warnke

by Mike Hertenstein, Jon Trott

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/094089507...glance&n=283155

M.

<div class='quotemain'>

It was a videotaped interview...hence, not made up.

Right.

What Im saying Ari is that I've heard the story many times before from different sources. Im pretty confident this is a "faith-promoting rumor".

<div class='quotemain'>

The ex-satanist said his "mission" was very successful.

Just kidding. Mr. Warnke did things the other way. Pretended to be an ex-satanist to see how many gulible people he could convince.

M.

It was probably A. Ralph Epperson (Ari's a big fan of his.) :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096141350...glance&n=283155

What Im saying Ari is that I've heard the story many times before from different sources. Im pretty confident this is a "faith-promoting rumor".

Maureen, are you saying that it might be in a book or a video and still not be true? :)

I guess you had to be there. ;-)

"G"rumpy is a big fan of putting words in my mouth. ;-)

M.

Mike Warnke was a drug addict who got clean, became a Christian, probably dabbled very lightly into Satanism, and who was a master story teller. He often confused reality with fiction, and after many years as a successful ex-Satanist Christian evangelist/comedian, his falsehoods were exposed by Cornerstone Magazine.

Ironically, when this story broke, I was speaking with a minister, and he said, "I'm not surprised. Former drug addicts have become so adept at story telling (usually learned to get what they want from people), that they often confuse their stories with reality."

Supposedly Warnke has gone through a process of rehabilitation, and still has a small ministry going--but it is a shadow of what it once was.

Sounds like the story of Oprah's author Frey and the other one that was found out this week. All a bunch of liars but so many willing to believe a good story that it makes it hard for someone telling the truth to be heard.

What was it my mom used to say. "Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see".

Ben

I've never even heard of Mike Warnke!

I have met Ralph Epperson...in fact, I sponsored him to speak at my meetings a number of times, in regard to the book he wrote on The New World Order. However, some of the things he has claimed are not believable.

I think alot of what we believe/disbelieve is from the spirit...if we have the right spirit, we can discern what is true and what is false. "Being there" is the key, as I have heard many many speakers in my life, inside and outside of the Church. Having been politically involved, I've sponsored a number of speakers over a 10 yr period...the governor, the sheriff, a presidential candidate, a U.S. congressman, representatives from the house/senate, candidates, judges, educators, etc.

If people can lie on tv and in their books, they can certainly lie when they are speaking and why would anyone want to hear someone that makes their money telling lies??? Frey claimed that he inhansed his book to get his point across. Maybe if we have to "inhanse" what we are saying to get our point across, it is not worth making???

Maureen, are you saying that it might be in a book or a video and still not be true? :)

Sounds like the story of Oprah's author Frey...

Hey Ben - prisonchaplain is correct. Mike Warnke was extremely popular in the '70's. He did comedic concerts and records to sell his stories. I only learned about his deception about 4/5 years ago - I was surprised. I mention him because he's the first that comes to mind when anyone mentions ex-satanists. The book I linked has reviews if you're interested. And while I was thinking of Mr. Warnke, James Frey came to mind. What people will do just to get attention - sheesh! ;)

M.

<div class='quotemain'>

The fact remains, satan has a "mission"...to lead the hearts of men away from Christ...

I believe that is true but, I find many people also use Satan as an excuse to avoid accountability for their own actions.

M.

You see it all the time, Maureen...unfortunately.

BTW, I understand Warnke is from the 70's? I didn't start organizing political forums until the 80's.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

The fact remains, satan has a "mission"...to lead the hearts of men away from Christ...

I believe that is true but, I find many people also use Satan as an excuse to avoid accountability for their own actions.

You see it all the time, Maureen...unfortunately....

Are you saying Aristotle that people should not take responsibility for their actions but always blame their weaknesses on Satan? :huh:

M.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

You see it all the time, Maureen...unfortunately....

Are you saying Aristotle that people should not take responsibility for their actions but always blame their weaknesses on Satan? :huh:

M.

Did I say that?

<div class='quotemain'>

"G"rumpy is a big fan of putting words in my mouth. ;-)

I have met Ralph Epperson...in fact, I sponsored him to speak at my meetings a number of times, in regard to the book he wrote on The New World Order. However, some of the things he has claimed are not believable.

So again, I was right.

Are you saying Aristotle that people should not take responsibility for their actions but always blame their weaknesses on Satan? :huh: M.

Perhaps a little story will help clarify this matter of Satan's missions against us:

One evening in a backwoods Pentecostal church, the meetin' had gotten to the 'deliverance' time. On the stage was a 400 lb woman. She says, "Pastor, I need you to pray and deliver me from the demon of fat." So, the pastor whips out some prayer oil (Crisco I believe), when suddenly, a man stands, and says, "Pastor, I have a word from the Lord."

It turns out, the man was Richard Simmons (the diet guru). Pastor says, "Speak, Bro. Simmons, speak!"

Pastor, this kind of demon only comes out with prayer, and much fasting!"