Non-denominational Marriage Commissioner

druid

I live in Alberta Canada. The government here appoints non-denominational marriage commissioners to legally perform marriages for those choosing a non-religious marriage ceremony. At one point in time I had expressed some interest in one of these positions, and just recently was asked if I would be interested in taking the process to the next step. I am an active member of the LDS church and am now just considering whether the church would have a problem with me performing a non-denominational marriage ceremony. Can anyone shed any light on church policy regarding this?

Thanks!!

i would imagine it's up to you.

if you work in a convenience store you will be asked to sell alcohol and tobacco. we don't believe in using it and the bishop might have a problem if a member went and opened a bar but the incidental things you can't avoid are not punished. we don't believe in working on sunday, my husband must work one weekend in 6 as part of the rotation all employees must do. he's not punished for that.

extend that to say someone is a justice of the peace (i think that would be the us equivalent to what you are describing) part of the job is to perform marriages that are not of a religious nature. if the law of the land says that gays can marry then legally you can't refuse to marry them (because you are a legal representative not a church). i can't see the church punishing you for doing your job. i don't see why the church would have a problem with your performing non religious legal marriages.

i would make sure any wording i chose for the ceremony did not mimic the church ceremony in any way and i would not advertise myself as lds or offer the church facilities for ceremonies. though i think those are common sense.

i'd still ask the bishop if it makes you feel better.