Identity.

CommanderSouth

Since I usually throw out all of my concerns to you guys anyway, might as well toss this one out there.

I have been baptized for nearly a year, but I don't feel like I identify myself with the church. I don't feel like a Mormon. When I talk of the church I keep finding myself saying they, or the church, but not we, or I. Whenever I tallk about Joseph Smith being a prophet the words feel like I am mouthing them, like they are hollow and I don't really believe them.

The logic in my mind is sound, the restoration, especially the authority part makes sense. I know I have believed in the church, but I can't shake these feelings.

As always, what are your alls thoughts on this?

I know I throw a lot of stuff out there, and I do appreciate you guys taking the time to comment.

Doubts are a normal part of life. There is always that missionary suggestion to fake it till you make it (your testimony), but I suspect you want something more genuine. Look for things that make you happy about the Church and things which you admire about both the institution and its members actions, and believe in that, since that holds immanently graspable truths.

I'm not a big feelings person. I am more "moved" by reason than anything else, so you make a lot of sense to me. I also had a (not LDS) friend once say, "You're the only Mormon I know who can view the church from the inside AND the outside."

The Spirit communicates with us in individual ways. For some of us, those ways may not include warm feelings of emotional attachment, rather, they may be intellectual in nature.

Occasional doubts are something we all deal with. The key is to focus your attention on ensuring you are developing yourself spiritually: daily scripture study, daily prayers that don't bounce off the ceiling, meditation.

Be sure to fill your mind with uplifting and faithful things, or Satan will try and fill it with worldly distractions and doubts.

After 17+ years baptised I still feel doubts at times about different things. It's normal in my opinion. We are all at different points in our spiritual journey and something that gives you doubts today may be answered fully to your satisfaction in a week or a year or even a decade.

When I testify I testify to the truthfulness of the gospel and do not say that "I know the Church is true". its a small point it it works for me

Edited by mnn727

Since I usually throw out all of my concerns to you guys anyway, might as well toss this one out there.

I have been baptized for nearly a year, but I don't feel like I identify myself with the church. I don't feel like a Mormon. When I talk of the church I keep finding myself saying they, or the church, but not we, or I. Whenever I tallk about Joseph Smith being a prophet the words feel like I am mouthing them, like they are hollow and I don't really believe them.

The logic in my mind is sound, the restoration, especially the authority part makes sense. I know I have believed in the church, but I can't shake these feelings.

As always, what are your alls thoughts on this?

I know I throw a lot of stuff out there, and I do appreciate you guys taking the time to comment.

I felt the same way until I found my own testimony through prayer and scripture study :P

The gospel of Jesus Christ really shines when you are in the service of others. What is your calling? (You don't have to answer) The more one gives of themselves, the more one feels "Mormon". We are unique that way, the church asks a lot, but there is a reason for that.

The other thing to realize is that we are all working out our salvation constantly, even those that grew up with the church. Its a lifelong pursuit. Its kind of like marriage, when the couple stops acting like they are dating they are more likely to drift apart. Holding the iron rod takes a lot of energy and persistence and endurance. I think the most difficult thing about the gospel is not the conversion as much as the endurance, but that is my perspective.