The October conference

I looked at the conference threads and didn't see replies and wasn't sure if I should post there. I thought LDS.net might have a 'live' thread during the conference so people could react to what they'd heard.

I listened to many of the talks and some of the music. I can't recall the gentleman's name, but I admit to getting misty when he spoke of returning from his mission, to find his parents going on their own mission, and that he thought he was broke and couldn't get married, only to find out that his parents had worked to pay his expenses and left his savings untouched. It was a powerful story about parental love and devotion.

The speeches (talks? sermons?) that I heard were so positive! I kept waiting for the fire and brimstone and telling us what sinners we are, but there was nothing like that - just good, uplifting, positive, thoughtful, entertaining talks. As someone new to all this, I've gotta say that the Mormons have a good thing going! I'm not sure I'm on board with everything, but 90% of what I learn is just so positive and supportive. The more I learn, the more I think that most anti-Mormon 'Christians' don't have an idea what Mormonism is about.

How do you manage to have different, substantive, talks and music like this, and such a gathering of people twice a year?! I thought it was amazing and find it difficult to imagine finding the mental energy to think about everything that is said and give it full attention and contemplation twice annually. I'm just curious why the conference is not an annual meeting like other denominations.

Before the conference started (I looked at it via BYU TV), there was a show about the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - talk about logistics! Finding out about the conductor and everything it takes to get the choir on the road was just fascinating.

My apologies if I've posted in the wrong place; I really did look around.

General Conference isn't shown on tv in all areas. Many of the members watch via satellite at their local stake center which would then make it difficult of course to "live chat" during it.

Plus really the suggestion is to watch it without distractions.

I looked at the conference threads and didn't see replies and wasn't sure if I should post there. I thought LDS.net might have a 'live' thread during the conference so people could react to what they'd heard.

I listened to many of the talks and some of the music. I can't recall the gentleman's name, but I admit to getting misty when he spoke of returning from his mission, to find his parents going on their own mission, and that he thought he was broke and couldn't get married, only to find out that his parents had worked to pay his expenses and left his savings untouched. It was a powerful story about parental love and devotion.

The speeches (talks? sermons?) that I heard were so positive! I kept waiting for the fire and brimstone and telling us what sinners we are, but there was nothing like that - just good, uplifting, positive, thoughtful, entertaining talks. As someone new to all this, I've gotta say that the Mormons have a good thing going! I'm not sure I'm on board with everything, but 90% of what I learn is just so positive and supportive. The more I learn, the more I think that most anti-Mormon 'Christians' don't have an idea what Mormonism is about.

hehe the fire and brimstones are there; you'll feel them in your heart if you've been wayward to any of the "do's and don'ts" that are mentioned, if you have made covenants to follow those commandments.

You'll feel the fire of the spirit... and if you've been wayward the brimstones of guilt and anguish will be stoked.

How do you manage to have different, substantive, talks and music like this, and such a gathering of people twice a year?! I thought it was amazing and find it difficult to imagine finding the mental energy to think about everything that is said and give it full attention and contemplation twice annually. I'm just curious why the conference is not an annual meeting like other denominations.

good question, I have no idea where they get the energy. My guess is that wehn one has the spirit with them they are invigorated by it.

Before the conference started (I looked at it via BYU TV), there was a show about the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - talk about logistics! Finding out about the conductor and everything it takes to get the choir on the road was just fascinating.

My apologies if I've posted in the wrong place; I really did look around.

good questions :)

and the location works for me ^.^

dahlia, I don't know if you have been to any of our Sunday meetings or Stake conference, but I've been a member for a little over 10 years, and have never had a 'fire and brimstone' sermon like the ones you are describing. My hubby was in another church before this one, and didn't like the 'fire and brimstone' lectures that he got there, he came to church with me one time, and that was it for him.

We mostly tell each other how to be better families, wives, husbands, more Christlike etc. and encourage and check on each other to make sure eveyone is okay. Sometimes, I look around at church at all the programs we have, including our ward choir, and I'm kinda in awe that it is all run by volunteers. Even my bishop isn't paid.

I'm glad you liked conference. Stake conference is great too, but in order to hear it you have to go.