Reading Scary Novels

KCGrant

Here's an interesting dilemma--how to be a Mormon (LDS) and like to read scary novels? I have to admit that I've enjoyed a Stephen King from time to time and now that I've switched over to writing suspense novels, I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile being a "good" member of the church to being intrigued by all of the nastiness that can go on in people's minds. What makes someone turn into a murderer? What are some of the ways that people justify their wickedness? I find myself thinking about that much like perhaps a doctor would examine a cancer in someone's body. And I don't even mind a good hair-raising tale about paranormal creatures that couldn't possibly exist! I don't revel in it or become fixated on it. It just intrigues me the idea of it all.

I think that's true. Besides, I think my fascination with that side of human nature is because I'm trying to understand it and really it's just a battle between good and evil and how each of us deals with that. So whether you're in law enforcement or a social worker or even a parent, you're trying to make a positive influence on the lives around you and I think that makes a good story. Of course, I'm not too fond of slasher stories where they glamorize the villain and it's more about the gore than the story.

I work in a used bookstore. I am also have a fascination, but my fasciation is with the people who read. I wonder why people read certain books. Why does a night shift nurse read say, Robin Cook? :) Why does a 77 year old woman read John Sandford and Stephen King? Why does a good looking, very much married, man read romance novels? Then there is the other side, the people. I guess I am just a people person. They suggest books and I read some of them. Some I finish and some I do not. We talk about these books.

My favorite customers is a seven year old, boy and that 77 year old lady. He has just started reading and wants to talk about his books. I find myself finding a copy of his books just so I can talk to him. The lady, is just that. A lady :) and she reads some books I would not even try.

I read some books to sale them. I wonder sometimes if I am being the Lds person I should be by doing so.