Jesus, god, God, Father, eternal?

beforHim

Through quotes from prophets (used by LDS members here and at other forums), McConkie's "Mormon Doctrine", the "Gospel Principles" and "Institution Manuals", I seem to be coming upon some contradictions.

I've seen some info (from these sources) that say Jesus is a god, but sometimes they sem to be saying He is God. SOmetimes they say He is eternal with the father, and sometimes it says He is merely the firstborn spirit person. I've seen and heard (via an official LDS youtube video from one of the apostles) it said that Jesus is the object of the faith and we love and worshiop Him and strive to be like Him. But then in other places I see this being said only about the Father.

Yes, sources would be good. My internet connection though is slow, and I loose it frequently. So I hope that a) my word is good for you guys, thus you believe me that i really have seen all this in these sources, thus not having to cite them, and b) that you guys are familiar enough with the sources as to know what I'm talking about.

I really want this contradiction cleared up. As a "traditional" Christian (I go to a Methodist church) I know our doctrine about Jesus, and what words like "eternal" and "God" and such mean. But I know that they are a little differently understood from an LDS viewpoint, and I'm trying really hard to understand the LDS viewpoint (and I truly believe that there is no contradiction, just that I don't understand all this doctrine well yet) which is why I ask about this. Cool.

In 2 Nephi 31 and 3 Nephi 11, we see that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are "one God." As one reads these sections, as well as John 17, we find that this means they are one in the same sense that the disciples should be one with each other and with Christ. They must be of one mind, united in action and purpose.

Together they make up the Godhead. As a Godhead, the three individual beings are one God. So Christ is the Father and God as being part of the Godhead. He is eternal with the Father in that the Godhead is eternal (especially going forward in time). Yet, he is also the literal Son of God in both spirit and the flesh.

There is also the doctrine of Divine Investiture. This is where God allows another to stand in his stead. We see this in the Book of Revelation, when an angel teaches John of holy things, as if the angel were Christ. Yet, when John bows down to worship the angel, he is forbidden to do so, as the angel is also a fellow servant (John 19:10). Christ often appeared to ancient prophets as Jehovah, in the stead of his Father. This is because the Father has given all things to Christ, so that Jesus becomes our Savior, Redeemer and Judge. In this same way, we see Paul telling us that it was Christ who created the world.

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds" (Hebrews 1:1-2)

So, here we see that God the Father placed power in and through Christ to also be the Creator of the world. Jesus is the Father of our Creation for this purpose. He is also the Father of our redemption. So, in this sense, Jesus is Father and Son. He is A Father and God over us, but he also prays to and worships the Father, as we do.

You can think of it this way. There is a man who is a father and also president of his own company. He raised his son to be responsible, with the view of leaving the company to his son some day. When the son finished college, he was made a Vice President, and later a co-President with his father. Under the young man's efforts, new products were introduced and branched out into new companies that the Father and Son were both co-regents over. Yet, with the new creation/companies, the son is now the creator under his father's guidance and approval. He is a boss, and he is THE boss of those workers in the companies.

Edited by rameumptom

Through quotes from prophets (used by LDS members here and at other forums), McConkie's "Mormon Doctrine", the "Gospel Principles" and "Institution Manuals", I seem to be coming upon some contradictions.

I've seen some info (from these sources) that say Jesus is a god, but sometimes they sem to be saying He is God. SOmetimes they say He is eternal with the father, and sometimes it says He is merely the firstborn spirit person. I've seen and heard (via an official LDS youtube video from one of the apostles) it said that Jesus is the object of the faith and we love and worshiop Him and strive to be like Him. But then in other places I see this being said only about the Father.

Yes, sources would be good. My internet connection though is slow, and I loose it frequently. So I hope that a) my word is good for you guys, thus you believe me that i really have seen all this in these sources, thus not having to cite them, and b) that you guys are familiar enough with the sources as to know what I'm talking about.

I really want this contradiction cleared up. As a "traditional" Christian (I go to a Methodist church) I know our doctrine about Jesus, and what words like "eternal" and "God" and such mean. But I know that they are a little differently understood from an LDS viewpoint, and I'm trying really hard to understand the LDS viewpoint (and I truly believe that there is no contradiction, just that I don't understand all this doctrine well yet) which is why I ask about this. Cool.

G-d’s church is also known as “The kingdom of G-d”. Because we live in democracies we are quite unfamiliar with the ancient concept of Kingdoms. Anciently in a Kingdom the Suzerain would on occasion appoint a servant vassal to represent them. The appointed vassal would speak in the name of the Suzerain and it was not uncommon to speak in the first person as the vassal for the Suzerain. This one simple fact has caused a great deal of confusion resulting in the doctrine of the “Trinity”.

Jesus is the appointed vassal of the Father and in the Father’s name and as the “Mediator” it is not uncommon within the Kingdom of G-d that Jesus can or may properly use the title of Father. As fallen creatures Jesus is the only mediator G-d and is the only way and path by which we can return to the Father. Thus it is impossible to separate our worship of The Son from the worship of The Father.

The Traveler

I recommend reading Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage. It does a very good job explaining the role of Jesus Christ from before the creation to the second coming. It's more than enough information to chew on.

Incidentally, an online version of Jesus the Christ is available for free via the Gutenberg project here.

Edited by Just_A_Guy