Health Zealots

frustrated

This post may cause a bit of controversy, but I hope to not offend anyone, so please know I'm not trying to personally attack anyone.

With that said, I need to vent some of my frustration about all the "Health Zealots" out there, and for some reason there seems to be a lot of them within the LDS culture. When I say "health zealots", I talking about those that seem to go well beyond the word of wisdom and go to the fringes of beliefs about health. I feel that everyone can have their own beliefs about what is means to be healthy, but I get frustrated when it seems they are pushing their fringe beliefs on others.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about how Xango juice, Noni juice, Melaleuca or some other herbal supplement just miraculously changed someone's life by curing their cancer, or making them 20 years younger. I'm tired of hearing how cooking food is evil and that people should only eat raw food. I'm tired of hearing that you should only buy organic foods because it's somehow free of all the contaminants that are ruining our minds and bodies. I'm tired of hearing about how antibiotics are evil and should be avoided at all costs. I'm tired of hearing that you shouldn't immunize your kids, because they can cause autism. I'm tired of hearing about alternative medical practices like acupressure, aromatherapy, live blood analysis, chakra tuning, crystal therapy, etc.

Personally I think these people look "beyond the mark" in many things. I understand that modern medical science doesn't have all the answers, yet it baffles me why so many people are willing to just dismiss everything in favor for a lot of these "unproven remedies". Unfortunately my wife has been one that is listening to these voices and has dramatically changed her views from the conventional to the fringe way of thinking. And of course, she's trying to "convert me" to this unconventional way of thinking too, and wanting to practice it with the kids (including not taking the kids to the doctor for strep throat). It wouldn't be so bad if it was just Aunt Martha or a neighbor at church that was pushing these views, but when it's your spouse it creates a problem, and it is starting to form a rift in our marriage.

Anyway I'm not completely sure what to do. Thoughts anyone?

Edited by frustrated

This post may cause a bit of controversy, but I hope to not offend anyone, so please know I'm not trying to personally attack anyone.

With that said, I need to vent some of my frustration about all the "Health Zealots" out there, and for some reason there seems to be a lot of them within the LDS culture. When I say "health zealots", I talking about those that seem to go well beyond the word of wisdom and go to the fringes of beliefs about health. I feel that everyone can have their own beliefs about what is means to be healthy, but I get frustrated when it seems they are pushing their fringe beliefs on others.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about how Xango juice, Noni juice, Melaleuca or some other herbal supplement just miraculously changed someone's life by curing their cancer, or making them 20 years younger. I'm tired of hearing how cooking food is evil and that people should only eat raw food. I'm tired of hearing that you should only buy organic foods because it's somehow free of all the contaminants that are ruining our minds and bodies. I'm tired of hearing about how antibiotics are evil and should be avoided at all costs. I'm tired of hearing that you shouldn't immunize your kids, because they can cause autism. I'm tired of hearing about alternative medical practices like acupressure, aromatherapy, live blood analysis, chakra tuning, crystal therapy, etc.

Personally I think these people look "beyond the mark" in many things. I understand that modern medical science doesn't have all the answers, yet it baffles me why so many people are willing to just dismiss everything in favor for a lot of these "unproven remedies". Unfortunately my wife has been one that is listening to these voices and has dramatically changed her views from the conventional to the fringe way of thinking. And of course, she's trying to "convert me" to this unconventional way of thinking too, and wanting to practice it with the kids (including not taking the kids to the doctor for strep throat). It wouldn't be so bad if it was just Aunt Martha or a neighbor at church that was pushing these views, but when it's your spouse it creates a problem, and it is starting to form a rift in our marriage.

Anyway I'm not completely sure what to do. Thoughts anyone?

This is not a Xango juice issue... this is a marital issue.

What do you do when you want to go to a football game and your wife says No?

What do you do when you want to paint the room orange and your wife wants beige?

What do you do when you want to send the kids to a private school and your wife says No?

What do you do when your wife wants to buy Aunt Martha a $100 gift because her sister is buying her a $75 gift and she wants to "trump" her and you think it's silly?

See what I'm saying?

By now, you should have gained some insight on how to "negotiate" successfully with your wife. Follow the same pattern for this one. It's really not that different.

Now... about health zealots. I might be one of them... although I'm not into Xanga or Noni or whatever "flavor of the month" is out there. I'm "holistic". That means, I don't just pop a pill every time something ails me. I try to figure out the root of the ailment and try to address it as a "whole health" thing instead of just an isolated ailment. Usually, what ails people can be attributed to improper diet, not enough physical activity, not enough rest, high stress levels. My kids go to a holistic pediatrician (an M.D. of course). During "flu season" we don't get flu shots, we modify our meals to add more citrus that boosts up the immune system. Things like that. My kids have not had anti-biotics except for the time when they had to have surgery/stitches for broken bones and and a split forehead...

Maybe you can look into that as a compromise with your wife. These "fads" are bad too. You really need a holistic approach to health instead of just juicing it up or some such...

I don't have a problem with health "zealots" as you say, but DO have a problem with the salesman of multi-level marketing products who push Noni, Xango, Acai etc... If the product can ACTUALLY do something, submit it to the FDA for testing instead of making baseless claims (like all supplements can do, legally), and have peer-reviewed studies on those findings. But, that will never happen in a million years, and we will continue to be harassed by salesman who hop on the latest fad miracle juice for years to come.

Misrepresentation is the usual concomitant of gambling and I think of all get rich schemes. The principle of honesty seems to be inherent in sound labor, but it is ordinarily conspicuous by its absence in the manipulations that bring returns without work (Elder Stephen L Richards, Conference Report, April 1933, Afternoon Meeting 36.)

We have learned to be careful as a Church concerning get rich schemes. A small element among us seems still to be affected with that injurious mentality (Arnold K. Garr and Clark V. Johnson, eds., Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint History: Missouri [Provo: Department of Church History and Doctrine, 1994], 10.)

I don't have a problem with health "zealots" as you say, but DO have a problem with the salesman of multi-level marketing products who push Noni, Xango, Acai etc... If the product can ACTUALLY do something, submit it to the FDA for testing instead of making baseless claims (like all supplements can do, legally), and have peer-reviewed studies on those findings. But, that will never happen in a million years, and we will continue to be harassed by salesman who hop on the latest fad miracle juice for years to come.

Misrepresentation is the usual concomitant of gambling and I think of all get rich schemes. The principle of honesty seems to be inherent in sound labor, but it is ordinarily conspicuous by its absence in the manipulations that bring returns without work (Elder Stephen L Richards, Conference Report, April 1933, Afternoon Meeting 36.)

We have learned to be careful as a Church concerning get rich schemes. A small element among us seems still to be affected with that injurious mentality (Arnold K. Garr and Clark V. Johnson, eds., Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint History: Missouri [Provo: Department of Church History and Doctrine, 1994], 10.)

I wouldn't be too fast in demonizing Mulit-Level Marketing. As a business perspective - it is just as valid as the mall stores. Just to give you an example, Berkshire Hathaway (that is, Warren Buffet) is significantly invested in Pampered Chef - a multi-level marketing business. Pampered Chef is very successful in its business structure. It works.

But, like everything else, there's the right way and the wrong way to run a business. When you're not basing your success on successful sales of a product but instead basing it on how many people you can sucker into selling the product... then yeah, that's not a good thing.

Noni, Xango, Acai... they're not that kind of business. But, the people getting into them could always make it such... not that it has any support from the business structure. It's fairly easy to spot the people who get "suckered" into it as opposed to the people who run it like how a business is supposed to be run. They're usually the ones who would first talk about how you can make money by selling the product instead of talking to you about buying the product. See the difference? So yeah, the ones who get "suckered" into it are usually gone in a month or two.

I hear you. I have a disease that is not terminal, but it is not curable either. People have been "inspired" to come out of the woodwork to sell me their vitamin powder, or whatnot, that miraculously cured someone else, so obviously, it would work for me as well.

It's all nonsense. If these things worked, millions of people in this country would be cured, and pharmaceuticals would have jumped on them because they'd make a fortune. I have absolutely no patience with the people who sell these kinds of things, as they exploit people's suffering.

(including not taking the kids to the doctor for strep throat).

I am appalled at this, as strep can kill little children.

It's true that strep usually resolves itself, but not always. Additionally, there is the risk of serious complications, such as hearing loss.

I'm assuming your wife's objection is the use of antibiotics, and it's true that over-prescribing is, indeed, a problem. I'm also not saying antibiotics should automatically be given, because, as I said above, strep usually resolves itself.

But the only person qualified to determine how serious your child's strep is, is a physician. If the physician recommends antibiotics, especially if your wife has already expressed her concerns about them, then your child needs antibiotics.

It's just irresponsible to insist on never using them, as they have their place, and they save lives, including that of many children.

Elphaba

None of this sounds exclusive to LDS people to me.

it's a way for mom to "work" without her "leaving home" and making them look bad for not keeping her chained to the stove, pregnant and barefoot. i mean seriously what kind of man makes his wife work? she should be home with the kids. and if he can't make enough to support the home then he's an utter failure as a priesthood holder. but if she works from home with a "hobby" business then it's all good. it's not an indication of failure but of "liberated" women.

please note the extreme sarcasm. though i do think the multi-level marketing is designed such that it fits very well into lds subculture and stereotypes.

i mean seriously what kind of man makes his wife work? she should be home with the kids. and if he can't make enough to support the home then he's an utter failure as a priesthood holder.

That's a horrible thing to say Gwen. Sometimes people are in situations that warrant a dual income. For you to make a condescending assumption like that is actually kind of scary.

That's a horrible thing to say Gwen. Sometimes people are in situations that warrant a dual income. For you to make a condescending assumption like that is actually kind of scary.

Hi catalyst! I'm glad to see you posting here!

Yeah, Gwen was just being sarcastic. She really doesn't believe any of that. Once you get to know her better, you'll understand she's an amazing person.

But you're right - I work full time. And yeah, if I don't hire cleaning lady and such, I wouldn't have to work. But, I hate cleaning - so I hire somebody to do it for me. I'd rather work (I love what I do, I work from home) than clean the house. So, really, women work for a lot of reasons. Network marketing (most commonly called MLM) is one way to for women to work and not feel too bad about working...

Yeah, Gwen was just being sarcastic. She really doesn't believe any of that. Once you get to know her better, you'll understand she's an amazing person.

One doesn't really need to get to know her all that well considering she stated her sarcastic intent. It might not help you realize she's a great person but it should at least be able to keep you from presuming she's making condescending assumptions.

Assuming one actually reads her post of course.

Must have missed it. I thought the sarcastic comment was in regards to the "hobby business" comment. Sadly to say I've heard this very same rhetoric in relief society a few times (had to sit in from time to time on my mission.)

My wife hasn't worked since we've had kids. It was our choice. We made some sacrifices for her to do this considering the cost of living in Southern California for the most part requires a dual income for most.

She does sometimes get "stir crazy" especially being a photographer by trade. Her only opportunity is on weekends with clients so she can't really begin to build up her business again until she has more blocks of time. However, as the kids get older their school will be starting soon. She'll have the opportunity to work if that is what she wants to do while they are out of the house.

Edited by catalyst

Sadly to say I've heard this very same rhetoric in relief society a few times (had to sit in from time to time on my mission.)

i'm sorry for the confusion. the sarcastic comment was about the entire post. i made the comments because of the same rhetoric you have heard. unfortunately that attitude does exist (even though it's not my attitude) which is why i think such "work" is so appealing to many lds. i don't agree with it and it's something about lds subculture i think can't change fast enough. i do apologize for the confusion. you asked a question and i answered it via a sarcastic method to make a point. not the best communication tool i guess.