do any mormons, practise polygamy at all

Guest fridderz

Guest BarcodeIIIlll

are there even small tiny groups that do?

i saw a mini youtube thing on a temple with loads of polygamysts, i just didnt understand.

i had a huge argument at school about this with my friends, and its serious getting to me

is it true brigham young had 17 wifes?

any help, thanks.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw a mini youtube thing on a temple with loads of polygamysts, i just didnt understand.

i had a huge argument at school about this with my friends, and its serious getting to me

There are some groups of *former* or *apostate* Mormons that practice polygamy today, yes. And there are some LDS that are also polygamist, though they are excommunicated as soon as the leadership of the Church finds out what they're doing.

I thought he had more than 17, I think it was 55. He only had children by 16 of them.

Sure.

HiJolly

Yeah, it was closer to 55. Seventeen may have been Joseph Smith's number for wives... Eh, oh well.

When you say "Mormon" you are nowadays referring to quite a few churches, the official church and some offshoots. There are quite a few that do practice polygamy and polyandry, though the official church does not. I'm tryin gto remember a few of them... I think the Restoration Church does... a lot of the more fundamentalist ones do.

But really, don't worry about it. The Church practiced polygamy. So did people of the Bible. So does many, many world cultures today. If your friends harass you about the 17 wives, shock and awe them with the 55 correction. Just see what they do.

Love it Backroads! Yeah, that's what I would do...

But, you might want to read up on the church's history and current stance on polygamy - so you know exactly what kind of questions/attacks you are going to be faced with and how the church responds to it.

Reading these might help (some have video even):

Polygamy (Plural Marriage)

Polygamy - LDS Newsroom

Official Declaration Official Declaration—1 

Clarifying Polygamy Confusion - LDS Newsroom

Hope this helps!

why does it seem acceptable that Brigham Young and Joseph Smith had multiple wives?

From what my Seminary teacher said, it was originally a commandment from God, in order to get the church to grow faster.

When the Church announced the manifesto, it was because that polygamy was no longer needed to help the church grow.

sorry don't have a Book of Mormon. Can you just answer it?

It's not in the Book of Mormon. You can find a link here: Doctrine and Covenants Section 132*

The cliff notes version of the answer is: It was commanded by God.

Thought there were only 10 Commandments?

There was never just 10 commandments (though it was pointed out by the Savior that all commandments fall under the heading of loving God or loving your neighbor). The Decalogue is a famous set of commandments but they weren't the only ones ever given.

Edited by Dravin

commandment? aren't there only 10 commandments from God? Then why would the Church not God take that out of the Church if God put it there? Also it didn't grow very much considering there are only 14 million members

The 10 commandments were the laws given to the Isrealites after Moses caught them worshiping false idols. These ten commandments were accompanied by also stricter laws, know as the law of Moses. Originally, they were to recive a higher law, much similar to the commandments we have recived today, ie. Word of Wisdom.

tl;dr version:

We believe God still gives commandments today. While we believe in the ten commandments, we believe that god still gives commandments to us today.

Edited by TL10

haha the admins keep deleting my comments. Fair enough I guess. No going against the church huh.

I think they only deleted some of your double posts. If not, it's because this topic is very controversal in the church as well as outside the church, due to the fact that the LDS church has often been wrongly discriminated because of our old practice(s).

Edit: Somebody's on the deleting spree. LOL

but that is reference from the BOM give me something from the Bible.

As in commandments that were established post-ten commandments.

Well first of all, an easy to find one is where Jesus creates the sacrament. Matthew 26: 26-29, KJV.

Edited by TL10

Guest BarcodeIIIlll

I think they only deleted some of your double posts. If not, it's because this topic is very controversal in the church as well as outside the church, due to the fact that the LDS church has often been wrongly discriminated because of our old practice(s).

Edit: Somebody's on the deleting spree. LOL

Totally, this friend of mine, who was my best friend, thinks i came mormon just because of my boyfriend -.- stupid... honestly i didnt do that because of him

anyway

this is what i try to tell her, Has anyone heard of that ranch thing on the news in america?

here is link if needed

its stupid, a temple?! whut -.-?

I just wish these stupid rumors stop getting spred, i saw a video on youtube called banned mormon cartoon, its very popular, and i didnt goto church on sunday because of that, really hurt me :(

but why did JS have like, so many wifes? i just dont agree with that :(

any help, thanks.

I practice a little mental polygamy from time to time.

but why did JS have like, so many wifes? i just dont agree with that :(

Well, he practiced polygamy because God told him and the saints back then to. It wasn't a choice.

Look, back when the church was founded, it only had a few thousand members. If they were to not practice polygamy, our church today, would be significantly smaller. Small enough that few people would even know what it is.

Guest BarcodeIIIlll

Well, he practiced polygamy because God told him and the saints back then to. It wasn't a choice.

Look, back when the church was founded, it only had a few thousand members. If they were to not practice polygamy, our church today, would be significantly smaller. Small enough that few people would even know what it is.

good point, i just people knew there facts before they rant, as im LDS i wish my brain wasnet as full as it is now of Anti mormon stuff :( which i beleived o.O

i learnt not to judge through this church when i joined, as i know how it feels now to be judged without facts. now i dont judge without facts on others.

Oh and Backroads, i think it means personal commandment, yes there is the hebrew ones, but he commanded joseph and brigham to do polygamy

Ah! it makes sence! having multiple wifes, for sex which is not breaking the law of chastity, hence you need more wifes = quicker babies

woo!

I could have sworn the 10 Commandments were principally a part of the Mosaic law.

They are, but we don't observe ancient Jewish law anymore, and neither did the early Latter-day Saints.

Really, if you're going to bait us and trap us in your web of words, you really should do a little research first, so it looks like you're actually trying.