New Calling for My Wife and I

SeattleTruthSeeker

We went to Church today and come to found out a calling was extended to my wife and I. We are going to be teaching the 15-16 year old Sunday School Class. We do not have the manual yet, but it follows the Gospel Doctrine Class of studying through the New Testament.

My question here is this: I have the NASB Thompson Chain Reference Study bible. In there, it has some really good resources that I would like to pass out. I will list them here with the link to where they can be viewed at.

Tree of Jesus' Life

Key to the Tree of Jesus' Life and Harmony of the Gospels

Chart Two

Chart Three

Chart Four

My reason for including this type of information is because it provides in-depth study in the life of our Savior Jesus Christ.

Give a copy of each to the Sunday School Pres and ask if they would be appropriate to use.

You might give this website a look-see: Home at the top far right is Gospel Doctrine. I have been following his lessons since 2000. His web site has changed a few times in 11 years- but he is the same. Check out his lessons, especially at the end of each lesson where he lists all of his references. It will give you an idea of what is appropriate to use.

I go armed with a print out of the lds.org lesson from the teachers manual, Beardall's lesson and the lesson that Rameumtum posts here at the forum.

I also subscribe to: LDS SCRIPTURES | Read The Scriptures . I get the NT chapters & Gospel Doctrine lesson scriptures sent to me via email. You can choose your program. Daily, weekly, etc.

You may want to have your students study on-line. It doesn't hurt to have them study the teachers manual as well as the Study Guide.

The new Church Handbook of Instruction says that only the LDS version of the KJV are to be used (as much as I hate the KJV personally - best to use it in classes)

You can always do as Elder Holland does by saying "Another version renders it as......." if you want to clairify something.

I know how you feel wanting to make the lesson better then the same old thing. Then again this is 15-16 year olds.

In the "Teaching, No Greater Calling" book it states

To help us teach from the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets, the Church has produced lesson manuals and other materials. There is little need for commentaries or other reference material. We should study the scriptures, teachings of latter-day prophets, and lesson materials thoroughly to be sure we correctly understand the doctrine before we teach it.

Teaching, No Greater Call: A Resource Guide for Gospel Teaching 11: 11: Keeping the Doctrine Pure

Not what we want to hear, but then again we don't need to go overboard with the lessons.