On returning to church

IAmTheWork

Backroads -- there are times stuff comes up in lessons and I just bite my tongue. Usually about cultural norms that have no basis in doctrine. There IS one belief I have that is definitely not mainstream, and on that one, I just bite my tongue as well.

I don't have a problem with that at all. In all other contexts in my life, I'm never completely candid about my feelings and beliefs -- that is part of being discrete and respecting the norms of whatever organization you're interfacing with. I'm not even entirely open with my wife about all things, because I know certain beliefs I have about her behavior or habits would only lead to conflict, hurt, unhappiness, etcetera. In my work they come out with policies all the time that I think are wrong, but I say nothing. I don't see why it's any different at Church.

Again, I agree we shouldn't lie in recommend interviews just to get through ordinance attendance in the temple, or perform the ordinances. But I think learning to hold your tongue is part of being a gentleman/gentlewoman.

I very much get what you are saying here and I do agree with much of it and respect all of it.

But I still see that if you disagree with most policies of the church, why bother with it? There are just so many better ways to spend your time. Yes, holding your tongue is a good thing and commendable, but if I found myself in a situation where I had to do it too much and I just didn't agree with the majority of things, why would I bother hanging around.

I guess that's how I see religion.

There are countless spiritual paths. If you don't like most of one, I think you should just find another.

One can be respectful of a religion and still disagree with it. I just can't see the point of why people who really do not believe in something would remain attached to it and lie about their beliefs.

Mind you, I doubt most Mormons believe everything about the church. If you believe a good majority of it, then I think that's fine. But if there is very little about it you believe, that's where I think comes the line of "why bother?" ANd that's fine, too. Just don't pretend otherwise. DOn't say "I believe this and this and this" when you don't.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Backroads

I am fine with whoever attends church just as long as they're honest about their beliefs and reasons.

Hi Backroads, leaving out safety concerns, isn't that an issue between them and Heavenly Father? Why do you seem concern over how they choose to worship and whether they are being hypocritical or not?

Hi Backroads, leaving out safety concerns, isn't that an issue between them and Heavenly Father? Why do you seem concern over how they choose to worship and whether they are being hypocritical or not?

You have a good point, and I apologize. It shouldn't concern me, but honesty is really important to me. If people are doing something they don't like just to please others, that's not honest. If people are lying about things to please their family, holding grudges against their loved one's beliefs and not saying anything... well, that's going to explode out at some point.

Also, do I want to be under the authority of a bishop who doesn't believe in the LDS church or in receiving revelation for me? That's where the lying comes in.

I believe that we SHOULD investigate any part of the doctrine that we have difficulty with,

but the place to do it is not in a Sunday School class.

-- You might after class, or during the week ask the teacher for some help or ask another well informed member in good standing,

or going to the scriptures- to study up on it,

along with past articles in the ensign--

as often people might THINK they don't agree--

only to find out they didn't understand what the real official church stand was.

--- To lie is TOTALLY not acceptable--

One of the temple questions is if you are HONEST in all your dealings!

A temple recommend is for those who have learned and accepted the basic teachings required to

get one-- if one has serious questions on any of the basics,

then they are not ready for the "higher learning" (trig, physics) of the temple

and to make promises they can not mean- is totally damaging to the soul and also

can cause the Holy Spirit to not be able to help those who have come with other challenges in their lives, as a contentious spirit- drives out the Holy Spirit. :(

So-- yes-- I do believe that if someone lies to the Bishop to get to the temple, is DOES effect others,

and it is a VERY sad day when anyone rationalizes to themselves that it is ok. :(

Take the time to study- and get your answers and'

"unto thine own self be true, and it follows as night follows day, that thou then canst not be untrue to any man" (I think I quoted that right?) I forget who said it. God bless us all to be honest !