Enos 1:8

pam

Enos 1Â*

8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.

Quote for Discussion

How can we know Christ without seeing him?

The impressions on the soul that come from the Holy Ghost are far more significant than a vision….Every member of the Church should have the impressions on his soul made by the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Son of God indelibly pictured so that they cannot be forgotten.

Joseph Fielding Smith, Seek Ye Earnestly, 214

Edited by pam

This has become one of my favorite stories from the BoM (Enos 1:2-8). Enos reflects on the teachings of his father Jacob, and feels a powerful concern for the welfare of his own soul. He "wrestles" all day in prayer. In the end, God's "speaks" to him and tells him is "sins are forgiven."

It seems unfortunate to me that, so often in public discussion of this story, we jump over verses 7 and 8 and go straight into Enos praying for the "welfare of [his] brethren." I think it is interesting that, upon receiving a forgiveness of his sins, Enos's first question is "How is it done?" -- "How did I receive this forgiveness?"

The answer is given here in verse 8 -- "because of thy faith in Christ..." I find it interesting that God did not answer, "because you spent all day 'wrestling' in prayer."

I find these verses a good reminder that, whenever we receive forgiveness of our sins, it is because of the atonement of Christ. If our "wrestle before God" is going to have any impact or significance, it will be because of our faith in the Savior. Merely "wrestling" with sin does not do anything, unless we are willing to bring that struggle to the Savior. This also means that we don't have to carry our burden alone, Christ is waiting to help us carry these burdens.

• 4 weeks later...