The Purpose Of The Old Testament Law

There are two views of God's purpose for the Old Testament Law.

I. Jewish view: The law is God's covenant between him and the Jewish people.

A. It's a special covenant--one that is possible to obey.

B. In fact, the whole focus of Jewish interpretation of Scripture is: What guidelines does the passage give me for obeying God's law?

C. Christians and other non-Jews are not expected to obey the 613 commandments of the Books of Moses, nor even the Ten Commandments.

D. Instead they are to obey The Seven Noahide Laws: Judaism regards any non-Jew who keeps these laws as a righteous person who is guaranteed a place in the world to come.

1. Not to deny God.

2. Not to blaspheme God.

3. Not to murder.

4. Not to engage in incestuous, adulterous, bestial or homosexual relationships.

5. Not to steal.

6. Not to eat a limb torn from a living animal.

7. To set up courts to ensure obedience to the other six laws.

II. Christian view: The law is a mirror that reflects our need of Jesus.

A. We cannot fulfill the law by our imperfect human attempts to obey the commands.

1. (Romans 3:23) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

2. (Romans 3:10) As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one;

B. The Law was meant to prepare the way for Jesus. Since we now have Jesus, the burden of the law is gone!

1. (Galatians 3:19) What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator. (NIV)

2. (Ephesians 2:15) by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, (NIV)

III. How to reconcile the Jewish vs. the Christian view.

A. If the Jewish view is correct--that we are able, by our own willpower, to obey them adaquately, then we should either convert to Judaism and obey the 613 commandments, or we should simply observe the 7 Noahide laws.

B. If the Christian view is correct we should believe Jesus and confess our sins to him.

1. (John 3:16) "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (NIV)

2. (1 John 1:9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (NIV)

C. So, how do Christians please God if they do not obey the Old Testament Commandments? We obey the law of love.

1. (Matthew 22:35-40) One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' {37 Deut. 6:5} This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' {39 Lev. 19:18} All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (NIV)

2. (1 Corinthians 13:13) And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (NIV)

D. We equip ourselves to love by being filled with God's Spirit, rather than relying on our own willpower.

1. (Galatians 5:22-23) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (NIV)

2. Note that Love is the product of the Spirit in us--not our own efforts.

3. Note also, that some interpret this passage to say that the fruit of the Spirit is Love, and that that love is explained as joy, peace, patience, etc.

E. We do good works, not to satisfy a demanding God, but to lead unbelievers to a loving God.

1. (1 Peter 2:12) Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. (NIV)

2. (Ga 6:9) Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. (NIV)

F. We tell of the goodness of God, so that others may know and believe.

1. Jesus told us to do this in the Great Commision: (Matthew 28:19-20) Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (NIV)

2. We even send Christians whever we can to tell the news that God is loving and good to whoever will hear and believe. (Romans 10:13-15) for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." {13 Joel 2:32} How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" {15 Isaiah 52:7} (NIV)

IV. How can we know that the Christian view of the Law is correct--that obedience to the Old Testament law is impossible, and that we should believe Jesus and obey the law of love instead?

A. Those that clung to law when Jesus came rejected him--and even supported his execution. Their pride would not allow them to submit to God's Son.

B. The Law is so oppressive that only 5% of Jewish people are "Torah-observant." 10% follow some principles of the Law, saying literal observance is unrealistic. 85% have abandoned Jewish faith all together.

V. The Jewish faith was intended to bring God to the world.

A. (Isaiah 55:5) Surely you will summon nations you know not, and nations that do not know you will hasten to you, because of the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, for he has endowed you with splendor." (NIV) So, God would make himself known to non-Jewish nations through the blessings he gives to the Jewish people.

B. (Ezekiel 36:15) No longer will I make you hear the taunts of the nations, and no longer will you suffer the scorn of the peoples or cause your nation to fall, declares the Sovereign LORD.'" (NIV) God's protection of Israel served the non-Jewish nations notice that He alone is God.

B. (Micah 4:2) Many nations will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. (NIV) This is a direct prophecy that the God of Israel intended to become the God of all peoples!

C. (Romans 16:26) but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey him-- (NIV) God's intent has always been that Jews would lead all peoples back to him. (Consider this as the Tower of Babel in reverse --confusing people by giving them different languages, so they would separate, but now uniting them by faith in Jesus--!)

D. (Galatians 3:8) The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you." {8 Gen. 12:3; 18:18; 22:18} (NIV)

I liked this post and topic - Good going PC.

I may differ a little but I am not sure because of our different background. It is true that the commandments of the Old Testament are fulfilled but they relate to a covenant. The covenant Jesus brought goes beyond the old commandments. For example: Do not commit adultery becomes do not look upon another to lust. Do not kill becomes do not be angry. Instead of sacrificing animals we sacrifice ourselves (broken heart and contrite spirit).

If we cannot keep the old covenant what makes anyone think they are ready for the new covenant?

The Traveler

Guest ApostleKnight

Well PC (you don't mind if I call you that do you? call me AK if you want, haha), I have to say, you've done your homework. I enjoy delving into Jewish studies (Hebrew is the coolest language in my opinion) and relating them to the restoration and what not.

To sum it up I submit the following:

The New Testament is in the Old Testament concealed;

The Old Testament is in the New Testament revealed.

I liked this post and topic - Good going PC.

I may differ a little but I am not sure because of our different background. It is true that the commandments of the Old Testament are fulfilled but they relate to a covenant. The covenant Jesus brought goes beyond the old commandments. For example: Do not commit adultery becomes do not look upon another to lust. Do not kill becomes do not be angry. Instead of sacrificing animals we sacrifice ourselves (broken heart and contrite spirit).

If we cannot keep the old covenant what makes anyone think they are ready for the new covenant?

The Traveler

Your response reminds of another outline I have concerning how Christians observe the 10 Commandments. I'll post it as a new topic, and you can see if it fleshes out your thoughts here (or muddies the waters :mellow: ).

Well PC (you don't mind if I call you that do you? call me AK if you want, haha), I have to say, you've done your homework. I enjoy delving into Jewish studies (Hebrew is the coolest language in my opinion) and relating them to the restoration and what not.

To sum it up I submit the following:

That's a clever and useful couplet. I'm wondering if you'd carry further, by adding the Triad into the equation?

Guest ApostleKnight

That's a clever and useful couplet. I'm wondering if you'd carry further, by adding the Triad into the equation?

If I did, I'd have to kill you. Just kidding. I'm sure it could be done, but I kinda like the ring of it as it is (and I did NOT originate the couplet by the way, I just happen to agree with it).